in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-19-2009 10:52 PM by matapan. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2008 2:06 PM

Beomaster 5500 TV does not power up

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie at this so here goes....

I got this gorgeous set from a friend who said that I may be able to fix the sucker.  When I plug the baby in, the power light is red but when I depress the button, it doesn't turn on at all or do anything.  I don't have the original remote any longer.  Anyone have any ideas what I can do or do I have to bring the sucker in for repair?  I'm not sure it would be worth repairing at all to be honest.  Great looking set though.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• 01-06-2008 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5500 TV does not power up

Yes Cool

Next week on the "Workshop MX5500 MX3500 Power Supply" ...

The MX5500 is one of the best tv sets ever built, besides some newer models MX6000/7000/8000.

And it can be repaired.

Martin 

• 01-06-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

so, D,

can it be done myself?  Can I buy the power supply somewhere and are there instructions to do it and not blow myself or the tv up?  Or should I just bring it in?  Dying to see the pic on the tv once it's on and working.  :)

thanks again

• 01-06-2008 8:27 PM In reply to

anyone?  :)
  • 01-06-2008 8:55 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Can you confirm it's an MX5500 and not an MX5500 first?  I'm sure someone on here could help you.  We also need to know your location too!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 01-06-2008 10:26 PM In reply to

sorry - I'm in toronto, Canada and the model is the MX5500 i believe - Svideo input and white and black cabinet.  Very striking.  Perhaps an affordable repair shop or a place I can buy the part? 
  • 01-07-2008 2:02 AM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

I guessed from your first message that you were North American, so keep in mind your set is very different from the European MX series. The good news is that there is a repair guide for these sets online for Silver/Gold members, together with the original Service Manual. We also have a Canadian member who is an expert and who has repaired his own set. Basically the problem is dozens of leaking capacitors. (Probably -- have you tried the STEP button instead of the button with a red dot on it? And unfortunately you won't get far without at least a used BeoLink 1000 remote from eBay.)

With HDTVs at current prices it's hard to say if any CRT is "worth" repairing. But this was a very special TV indeed -- ground-breaking in 1989, and it will deliver the best picture from a DVD you've probably ever seen on a non-HD set, partly because it was optimized for a high-quality 480i source (S-VHS) when introduced. The integration with other B&O audio equipment and speakers sold today is also stellar. I have owned two myself and my current one was rescued from just such a problem.

But the most important thing to say at this point is that TVs contain life-threatening voltages even when turned off or unplugged. The best bet would be for you to take the set to a qualified servicer, together with the Service Manual and repair guide, unless you have experience working with electronics...

• 01-10-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

is anyone from the Toronto area and can also recommend me to a service shop to fix the TV that's affordable and good service?  Not sure I can tackle this by myself and still trying to figure out whether it would be worth fixing.

thanks!

• 04-25-2008 4:17 AM In reply to

I'm having the same problem except for my Beovision mx5500 is a European model so I'm trying to figure out if its even worth it to get it up and running! I got a 300 watt step up/step down transformer for it and tryed to see if it would turn on and unfortunately it wouldn't and I don't know if this is simply because i have the wrong transformer or maybe i need the beolink remote. the standby light does not come on when I try to turn it on but when I unplug it from the transformer there is a small sort of high pitched hissing sound that fades away.

But say I can get the TV to power up I still have to confront the issue of converting pal to ntsc. I think I came across a website that sells conversion kits for the mx5500 but I'm not sure, I can't find that website anymore so if I can't do that what would be the best pal to ntsc converter box?

• 04-25-2008 5:39 AM In reply to

Hi absorbs,

Where are you based?

Neil

• 04-25-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

I live in the Berkeley California
    Why? 

• 10-25-2009 1:42 AM In reply to

If you press TV on your Beolink 1000 and get no response (no sound, no display, no noises of any sort), you probably have a problem with the computer board. It is not allowing the set to turn on. You can try measuring the voltage on the lithium backup battery on the board to see if it's still good or not. If the battery is still good, disconnect the battery for half a day, then plug it back in and then try turning the set on. If this doesn't change the outcome, you can replace all the capacitors on the board, including the ones inside the "can" (metal enclosure). When replacing, use high temp caps (105 degrees C) as they will last longer. If you don't want to do the board repair, Atlantic Systems in Massachusetts still works on these TV's and can set you up with a repaired board for you to swap.

When taking the back cover off, it is easiest to have the tube facing down on the ground. You want to take the proper precautions for working on any TV - high voltages still remain on the connector on the back of the tube with the rubber suction cup. 

• 10-25-2009 8:23 PM In reply to

Just to say that I am the one who repaired his MX-5000 and it is still working well! However, it is relegated to a be a bed room TV as I now have a BV-7 as my main TV set since two years. 

The problem of not powering up sometimes occurs with the MX-5000 after there has been a power failure. Disconnecting the mains plug and reconnecting it solves it. Also ensure that the batteries of the Beolink 1000 remote are good.

To the original poster: If the capacitors of your MX-5500 has never been replaced before, then be prepared for a major job. All black electrolytic capacitors of Rubycon brand must be replaced on every board. After that, the TV will work as new.

Ask for an estimate from the repair shop before taking the decision. 

Good luck!

Jean

• 10-25-2009 9:14 PM In reply to

Thanks Matapan and Jean ... these suggestions are very interesting.

I have an MX 3000 I acquired via eBay ... that died after 3 hours of operation.

The local B&O engineers have looked at it and said it can not be repaired as spare parts are not available any more.

However are there alternative approaches for an MX 3000 like the ones you have outlined above?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-19-2009 10:52 PM In reply to

It depends on the problem you are experiencing with you set.

If the standby light turns on when the set is plugged in, but the set does not turn on (no picture, no sound), and a repeating "fumping" noise, you have a power supply problem. I can't speak for the European sets like the MX-3000, but this sort of problem can usually be repaired by replacing some capacitors on the power supply board. There are high voltages present on this part, even when the set is unplugged - if you have little experience working on sets, it is best to take the set to a servicer. 

By "spare parts", I would request clarification from your local B&O engineers. Do they mean replacement modules or circuit boards? If so, this is probably true - the sets are now about 20 years old. If they mean discrete components on the boards required to fix the set, that's a different case. You could always get another MX-3000 on eBay as a spare parts donor if this is truly the case. I've found most repairs only require the replacement of capacitors though.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)