in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2008 11:33 AM by linder. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2008 3:59 AM

Yes -  thumbs up [Y] it's official - blu ray wins !!! now get a player in a beovision please !!

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. “Warner Bros.’ move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want,” said Meyer. “The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers.” Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008. “Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices,” said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Today’s decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner.” “A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,” said Tsujihara. “Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.”

popgear is grate™

• 01-05-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: it's official - blu ray wins !!! now get a player in a beovision please !!

Sadly, I think the 'war' is far from won. According to some, Microsoft will announce a XBOX with a built-in HD DVD drive at CES, although Apple is rumoured to be supplying their Mac Pro's with Blu-ray drives. Also, is it Universal and Paramount that only produce HD DVD movies, such as Bourne Ultimatum, which you can't get on Blu-ray?

• 01-05-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Sadly, I think the 'war' is far from won. According to some, Microsoft will announce a XBOX with a built-in HD DVD drive at CES, although Apple is rumoured to be supplying their Mac Pro's with Blu-ray drives. Also, is it Universal and Paramount that only produce HD DVD movies, such as Bourne Ultimatum, which you can't get on Blu-ray?

Think this subject has been covered before - but FWIW I think this war is indeed won, and Blu-ray is, as widely predicted, the winner. The Warner decision was the final nail in the HD-DVD coffin, given that Blu-ray was already accounting for 70% of all HD disc sales.

HDDVD camp points to more standalone player sales, but they don't count PS3 sales which outnumber HDDVD standalone and XBOX drives put together, by some margin. In any case, Sony and partners sold loads of Betamax players, but ultimately consumers had nothing to play on them. It's the content that counts, and whether you look at studios signed up, or number of discs bought, Blu-ray wins.

And yes, it is Universal and Paramount who were paid USD 170 million to only release HD content on HDDVD but that agreement was for 18 months only and was signed a year ago. It would take a crazy man to bet that their content won't be on Blu-ray by the end of the year.

However, as some wise member of this very forum (can't remember who and couldn't find the post) said, Blu-ray's time in the sun is likely to be relatively short-lived, as I expect within 3 years HD content will be available (legitimately) for download. So the outcome of the 'format war' is very probably moot. 

G. 

• 01-05-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

trust microsoft to back the cheapest and lowest common denominator

while apple lead , they do what they do best

copy

POORLY 

apple really should buy sony AND bno ! 

OR AT LEAST MERGE !!!! 

popgear is grate™

• 01-05-2008 2:20 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

apple really should buy sony AND bno ! 

B&O isn't in Apple's league. Apple produce affordable products for the masses, even though their prices may be slightly higher than the average, most people on the street are prepared to pay a little extra for style (iPod, iMac). B&O are like the Aston Martin of products, whereas Apple is more like buying a Golf or an Audi.

I read today that New Line have also moved across to Blu-ray, so expect to see Lord of the Rings and others on Blu-ray, later this year.

• 01-05-2008 3:04 PM In reply to

so who owns bugatti and lamborghini ?

vw and audi..

nuff said..

watch this space !! ;) 

popgear is grate™

• 01-05-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

Yeah, but Fiat own Ferarri :)

Seriously, Apple won't go buying a company such as B&O when it is in an area completely outside it's remit. It won't happen. B&O barely register in the US, for example.

• 01-05-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

Not certain what Apple would or wouldn't do, Moxxey. But I do know that both Jobs and Ive (Apple's designer) are great admirers of B&O, both the products, the design lines and the business model. Like you I doubt that Apple would be interested in buying B&O, though - they've used the brand as inspiration for their own solutions that definitely appear superior. Apple is now the world's third highest valued tech company, going by market cap.

At any rate, with B&O's love of Windows one would think it wouldn't be a match made in heaven! Big Smile 

• 01-05-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Flappo The Grate:

Yeah, but Fiat own Ferarri :)

Seriously, Apple won't go buying a company such as B&O when it is in an area completely outside it's remit. It won't happen. B&O barely register in the US, for example.

Fiat = Fix It Again Tony Laughing

I can't see that Apple would ever buy an AV company. They aren't Microsoft, so don't have a tendency of trying out different markets and failing miserably.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-05-2008 10:20 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It is becoming clear that apple is putting the nails into microsoft's coffin. Microsoft is also nailing it's own coffin, by being stubborn and not keeping up with the trends.

I remember when apple was a joke compared to microsoft... Blue ray is obviously the greater format for the future. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-06-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

I don't know why blu ray is better... for me HD-DVD had the advantage to be cheaper and more backward and forward* compatible, but it seems that blu ray has won. 2 blu ray dvds are sold for 1 HD DVD...

HD DVD has cancelled its keynote on a consumer electronic show following the Warner  announcement. I think it says a lot. 

The only thing is Microsoft who is able, at loss, to inject a large amount of cash to support a technology as they do so well.

I think it is time for B&O to give us hi def DVDs, DVD2 should have been a repackaged HD DVD/Blue Ray combo player rather than a DVD burner...  

p. 

* HD DVD can be read on a normal DVD player

• 01-06-2008 7:18 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

I think, something wrong out there... Warner has just said something like this about half a year ago, but then they almost immediately withrowed it.

If we check the sold stand alone HD player's number, it's absolutely outnumbered by HD DVD in the main markets: Europe and in the US. What is a customer choice if not this? Not even as much BR film was sold as PS3, which is clearly shows, the customers are not purchasing PS3 for the BR option.

Currently the HD DVD vs. BR disk selling is only 1-1.5:2, so it's not a "clear win", it's almost nothing - no reason to say "clear choice of the customers", because for example in december HD DVD selling is several times outnumbered the BR selling. And there is only one REAL customer choice: A lot's of people needs HD DVD.

And, just for fun again: The whole HD market is a small minority against to the regular DVD market, and it's struggling. But, if they'll loose the HD DVD camp, then it will fall, and will not raising imho. I think it was a very idiotic way to "end the war", because if a war can be win this way: Nobody will trust the "cheaty winner". Who spent a lots of money in HD DVD and in HD DVD disc -> will not spend it again to BR.

IMHO, the worst decision is to support only one format after years - but supportint the opponent for at least a year? Who will purchase the product after this?

So, I think, something happened in the background, so we have to check CES...

This story is too fishy for me now. 
  • 01-06-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

B&O needs Apple.  Here's a potential future course for Apple (may never happen but the person writing this is a very well informed and smart tech writer):

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/29/ten-big-predictions-for-apple-in-2008/ 

Mark D
  • 01-08-2008 6:43 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Well, I *hate* to say "I told you so" ;-)  but...

Paramount are to drop support for HD-DVD - meaning this format war is indeed over, and Blu-ray did indeed win.

note: I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing, or a better format; just saying ;-)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-bd75-11dc-b7e6-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

• 01-08-2008 6:46 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

As regards Apple buying B&O, I don't believe that would happen, and I hope it never does. While I like the products of both companies, I think it would be a disaster for B&O. Apple is a very different type of company, and I'm not sure they would understand each other well.
  • 01-08-2008 6:56 AM In reply to

Should be interesting to hear what Mr Jobs has to say on the 15th, in his Keynote at MacWorld -- rumours fly that BluRay implementation in Macs will be one of the tidbits, and that would fit in nicely with all the content providers coming to the BluRay camp now.

Btw - to all the speculations as to who will buy whom -- a Sony/Apple alliance is a lot more likely (it's pretty simple to move the Linux based OS in PS3 to Apple hardware ... )

• 01-08-2008 7:03 AM In reply to

Greg:
    As regards Apple buying B&O, I don't believe that would happen, and I hope it never does. While I like the products of both companies, I think it would be a disaster for B&O. Apple is a very different type of company, and I'm not sure they would understand each other well.

I fully agree on the first part of Apple buying B&O and hoping it never does; imho B&O is for the happy few who really enjoys and loves RVS, quality and design, while Apple is for the big mass who prefers designing in plastic for a price a bit higher than the common concept producers in A/V.

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 01-08-2008 7:13 AM In reply to

Beologisch - do you use Apple products?

I've been using aluminium Macs for years now. I actually even had a Titanium one -- and any CE manufacturer in the world should count itself lucky to have a designer as enlightened as Ive, working together with a CEO as brilliant as Jobs.
    And seriously, though I'm pleased that Apple is now gaining adherents with avalanche speed, we're still talking about a brand with a minor share of the total market. The masses are solidly parked in PC-land.

I spend some time with people in the film and music industries, around the world -- and it's amusing to see how they have "en masse" gravitated to Apple's solutions - that has the power of persuasion in it. Actually once spent a flight with Kanye West and his entourage, as they were flying out of the small airport near a music festival to a hub. They were all seated with alu Macbooks in their laps, discussing their schedules, contracts and set for the next concert - and they had established an airport network aboard the plane, in order to be working on the same desktop. (BTW - he likes B&O, bought a Beovision 4 when he signed his first major contract.)

But that's off-topic, except for the fact that there's huge potential in addressing the needs of that crowd - B&O is leaving it all to Apple, though.

• 01-08-2008 7:50 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Certainly, from the music fraternity point of view, Apple scored a direct hit when they bought Logic Audio from Emagic and dropped the PC support. PC's for music were certainly much bigger in the US than Europe but Logic had a huge following on both sides of the Atlantic as the No1 DAW application. Limiting its availibility to Mac only will certainly have added new Macites to the fold and move Mac to the undisputed platform of choice for music making.

Can you imagine the outcry if MS had done thatLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-08-2008 8:40 AM In reply to

soundproof:

Beologisch - do you use Apple products?

I've been using aluminium Macs for years now. I actually even had a Titanium one -- and any CE manufacturer in the world should count itself lucky to have a designer as enlightened as Ive, working together with a CEO as brilliant as Jobs.
    And seriously, though I'm pleased that Apple is now gaining adherents with avalanche speed, we're still talking about a brand with a minor share of the total market. The masses are solidly parked in PC-land.

I spend some time with people in the film and music industries, around the world -- and it's amusing to see how they have "en masse" gravitated to Apple's solutions - that has the power of persuasion in it. Actually once spent a flight with Kanye West and his entourage, as they were flying out of the small airport near a music festival to a hub. They were all seated with alu Macbooks in their laps, discussing their schedules, contracts and set for the next concert - and they had established an airport network aboard the plane, in order to be working on the same desktop. (BTW - he likes B&O, bought a Beovision 4 when he signed his first major contract.)

But that's off-topic, except for the fact that there's huge potential in addressing the needs of that crowd - B&O is leaving it all to Apple, though.

Yes I've used Apple, but not anymore for I can't use them in the office or at home because of the rather difficult integration of mac's with MS pc's and those are the standard in the bussiness/office world, the use of a mac is a kind of modern status symbol and does not give "more" for me, than just being different, but that's very personal ofcourse.

I've had an Ipod, but I gave it away because it was to expensive compared to others, giving me nothing more and because I don't like those thingies in my ears listening to rather bad sounding music I stopped using any MP3 players eg.imho that is.Aplle certainly changed the [mobile and internet] music business that's for sure, but designwise to me it's again just different and not more beautifull or better, just not my piece of cake I guess.

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 01-08-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

New Mac Pro's have been announced. No blu-ray drives:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=20087

• 01-08-2008 10:28 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Mind you:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Financial_Times_Paramount_to_drop_support_of_HD_DVD/1199766332

Which means that Blu-ray has won the HD race.

• 01-08-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

I'm ready.  If B&O put a Blu-ray player in the BV7-40, that would be my next TV.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)