in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2008 10:36 AM by V13WNG. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2008 7:55 PM

Used BeoSound 9000 - Good Deal?

I have the opportunity to purchase a used BeoSound 9000 on a stand and a pair of Beolab 1 speakers for A$ 6000 (~2680 Pounds). The system is about 7 years old and in good condition. Is this a good deal? Is the BeoSound likely to be a Mk 2 or 3 at this age? Is it likely to develop problems? Any opinions?

Cheers

• 01-03-2008 9:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Used BeoSound 9000 - Good Deal?

Hi !!

Privately, that's a pretty good deal actually.  The 9000 is more than likely a Mk2, but these can be upgraded for NMUSIC quite cheaply anyway.  Check the CD Mech has been at least serviced in its 7 years, and if not then i'd recommend it.  You can tell if it's Mk2 or 3 from the type number, and if you visit the Products section of the main site and look up the BS9000 you will be able to cross reference.

As for the BeoLab 1's, i assume they are Silver or Black?  Other colours do not fetch anywhere near as much, Blue being the "dead duck" !!  Do inspect the circular brushed Aluminium bases too, as these are now discontinued.

Finally - if you get chance, add a BeoLab 2 and you will have a stunning set-up!  Although they look like they can pack a serious bass-punch (if that's what it's called!) the BeoLab 1 are a bit lacking in that department when the volume goes high. A BeoLab 2 fills that gap and you then have powerful treble, midrange and bass - perfect!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 01-03-2008 9:12 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I was going to reply to this, but I guess no body round here can give better advice on this issue than Lee...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 01-03-2008 9:41 PM In reply to

Thanks Lee (and Tom!). Expert information, super fast. What more could I ask? The Beolab 1s are silver so the colour value information is good to know. Does the CD mechanism suffer any more wear and tear being mounted vertically rather than horizontally? Or is this a silly question?

Stuart 

• 01-03-2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

As far as I know, the way the system is mounted does not have any influence on it's lifetime. But be sure that it has been serviced before you buy it, otherwise you will have to do it as soon as possible.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 01-04-2008 12:24 AM In reply to

Another question: Is the base of the BeoLab 1 speaker detachable for transport purposes?
  • 01-04-2008 1:44 AM In reply to

Yes the base of the BL1's if removable and oh my god are they heavy.

Sounds like a great system to me, but heed the advice of getting the CD player serviced just to be on the safe side.

jazz

• 01-04-2008 5:52 AM In reply to

Perish the thought that I should disagree with Lee but here are a couple of thoughts from me!

I am very firmly in the "if it aint broke then don't fix it" camp. The cost of replacing the cd drive is not so much and I would take a chance.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". If it all works then the system sounds like a bit of a bargain judging by UK prices.

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 7:34 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

That does really sound like a bargain, i'm jealous! Wink

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-04-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

Perish the thought that I should disagree with Lee but here are a couple of thoughts from me!

I am very firmly in the "if it aint broke then don't fix it" camp. The cost of replacing the cd drive is not so much and I would take a chance.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". If it all works then the system sounds like a bit of a bargain judging by UK prices.

Not so much fixing as servicing, surely?  Servicing something prolongs it's usable lifespan i would have thought, but i can see Grahams point to a degree. 

It's possibly just a personal choice - but i always have my own equipment serviced, and several times i've replaced belts that were ready to snap, and cogs that were ready to break - and if they had gone they could have done more damage..

Lee 

• 01-04-2008 3:19 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    joeyboygolf:

Not so much fixing as servicing, surely?  Servicing something prolongs it's usable lifespan i would have thought, but i can see Grahams point to a degree. 

It's possibly just a personal choice - but i always have my own equipment serviced, and several times i've replaced belts that were ready to snap, and cogs that were ready to break - and if they had gone they could have done more damage..

Lee 

If the 9000 had belts that could deteriorate with age then I agree with Lee. Not so much from the damage point of view but to maintain performance.

As far as the BS9000 is concerned, it has been so cunningly designed that there are no such items which could possible so deteriorate so you would be paying for some erk to run a duster over the outside and check that the engine is still under the bonnet and that all 5 wheels were still on the car!

I am reliably informed that their are only 2 people in Struer who know how to build these things. When they are both off sick together, the job stops. What are the chances for a service engineer????

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:
    I am reliably informed that their are only 2 people in Struer who know how to build these things. When they are both off sick together, the job stops. What are the chances for a service engineer????

Now I do hope that is true, it is one of those wonderful facts.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-04-2008 6:38 PM In reply to

I must admit I'm usually in the "if it aint broke don't fix it camp" myself. My car sometimes come back from a service with (minor) problems it didn't have before it went! 

As a matter of interest, what does the CD drive cost to replace (perish the thought!)?

Still making a decision on this one. The age of the system just bothers me a bit.

• 01-04-2008 8:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Service engineers prices vary (sometimes wildly - but i have a very good one!) - however, if you budget on about £400 for a replacement mech you wouldn't be a mile away i'm sure.

Lee

Smile 

• 01-05-2008 4:29 AM In reply to

I am sure you are beating yourself up over nothing.

It's a good price and if it's working OK then my advice is to take a chance.

Your alternative is pay more for a younger model or ultimately for a new one!

I am sure Lee will have one in stock, so will morerthan and so do I. All with warranty but all considerably more expensive. You either pay now for sure or MAYBE in the future. That is your choice.

Regards Graham

• 03-01-2008 2:58 AM In reply to

It took me some time to organise transport of this system (something of a saga), but it finally came last week and I'm thrilled! The speakers are not so huge and sound wonderful...

A couple of the leveling feet on both the BeoLab 1 speaker bases and the BeoSound 9000 CD stand are missing or worn, however.

Can replacements be purchased?

• 03-01-2008 10:36 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Yes - they are readily available from any dealer.

They aren't a strict necessity, though!

Muchos Gracias Cool

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)