in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-01-2008 4:01 PM by gsmith. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2008 10:13 AM

• gsmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Germany/NRW
    • Posts 7
    • Silver Member

Move from Germany to Canada

Hi,

I will be moving from Germany to Canada in April. I have a BV 7-32 and I know that there are 2 systems for the 2 countries, PAL and NTSC. But aren't these only for Analogue TV? If I have the HD module and only watch digital channels then shouldn't I be ok.

What, apart from new power supplies, would I need to do to my present BV-7 to get it working in Canada?

Another question just occurred to me, Am I going to be able to what North American DVD's in my European player? Or is it possible to open up the region coding? 

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers!!

Grant 

• 01-10-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: Move from Germany to Canada

Dear Grant,

The PAL and NTSC standards even apply to BluRay and HD-DVD movies. Essentially the two systems work at different speeds (50/60Hz).

I do not know how digital TV is working in Canada however.

Regarding your second request:

A B&O technician can remove the region coding from the BV7. It should suffice if he brings his laptop along.

• 01-10-2008 7:54 PM In reply to

For the removal of teh region code, I would make sure you get this done in Germany. I bought a phone in Germany for use in US, teh US B&O service wouldnt touch that after it broke. They said there is legal issues.

Also, the power conversion might be more tricky then one would think. I bought adapters for my german VCR and alarm clock, however the timer would run either too fast or too slow I forgot. My BS2300 though runs happily for the last 7 or 8 years through converters, no issues.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-14-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

• gsmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Germany/NRW
    • Posts 7
    • Silver Member

Thanks for the answers.

I thought the BV7 could play both PAL and NTCT DVD's.

It would seem selling in Europe would be a better plan. 

Cheers!!

Grant 

• 01-14-2008 5:24 PM In reply to

If you are moving to Canada permanently or for a long time, it would be better to sell the BV7.  However if are in Canada for maybe a few years, I would send an email to a Canadian dealer asking about what options you may have.  Although I have a North American Beocenter 2 for playing DVDs, I purchased another player to play Pal discs.  Don't forget, Blu-ray players are an option and video downloads are becoming increasingly popular.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-16-2008 10:42 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

Hi Grant, the digital system in canada is different from the euro system (if you're talking built-in tuner). We have something called ATSC. Around 15 channels over the air here in toronto. But most people use digital cable or satellite, which require their own box (PVR). As long as your bv-7 has a DVI or HDMI port it should work with one of those PVR's. B&O do have the codes to control the common cable boxes in their products here, not sure that they would be in your BV7 though.

• 01-24-2008 10:36 AM In reply to

• gsmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Germany/NRW
    • Posts 7
    • Silver Member

Thanks all for the feedback!!

I think the best, though most expensive way, is going to be to sell the whole system ans start up again once we have our house in Calgary. as an aside to that I find the philosophy of B&O not to have at least a "flexible" power supply that would cover N. America and Europe very disappointing!

Cheers!!

Grant

• 02-01-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

gsmith:

I find the philosophy of B&O not to have at least a "flexible" power supply that would cover N. America and Europe very disappointing! 

I thought that more and more of their products were being made dual-voltage now... What with globalization and such...

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 02-01-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

joynsyde:

I thought that more and more of their products were being made dual-voltage now... What with globalization and such...

It's easier with small power devices. They usually have switching mode power supplies nowadays, and they don't basically care much about which voltage you feed them. However, things like power amplifiers mostly still have a good ol' iron transformer, and having at least two separate primary windings and a switch to arrange them in series or parallel simply costs money.

Maybe B&O isn't affected so much with the economic equations of mass production, but I'm sure they'll still want to save €10 even on a €10.000 TV set whenever they can. And it's even more sensible with devices like TVs which wouldn't work on the wrong continent anyway, no matter what the AC voltage is.

-mika

-mika

• 02-01-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

• gsmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Germany/NRW
    • Posts 7
    • Silver Member

It would seem that the system I bought is a set up for the German market. However, I have now spoken with B&O and they can, for an affordable price, convert/replace the power supplies on everything except the TV.

As a result I'm now only going to sell the BV7 incl stand etc..

Still difficult though.

Cheers!!

Grant

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)