in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2008 7:46 PM by Phil Hunt. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2007 2:52 PM

8002 spontaneously ends play

My 8002 turntable has started to suddenly end play as if asked to, usually when I've gotten involved in listening to something-very frustrating.This seems unrelated to how long the unit has been run, or how far it's played the record, quite random. It's been suggested that I check C15, C19, R64/65. (assuming that the disc-sensing circuit is falsing while playing, initiating the shutoff sequence)  Although I haven't opened the 8002 up yet, I have the circuitboard from an 8000 on my desk, and am unable to locate R64, which according to the schematic, is adjustable. Are the scope patterns in that area of the diagram what I should see if I scope them? under what conditions? Should I just replace those caps? should I adjust the value of R65? All help VERY appreciated. Phil in NJ USA

• 12-30-2007 3:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: 8002 spontaneously ends play

Hi Phil and welcome to BeoworldSmile

The 8002 was a later deck from the 8000 and although very similar there are quite a few differences (tachodisc control abandoned & a completely different turntable drive method being just 2 of them) so I very much doubt if the board you have on your desk is the same one used in your beogram. Member Dillen (Martin) should be able to confirm this as he knows far more than I do about these. The good news as far as you're concerned is the 8002 is a little less complicated than its predecessor the 8000. Either way I reckon you're just gonna have to dive in there and start looking.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-30-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

As far as I know, the 8000 and 8002 are virtually identical excepting the 8000 used a compsite tacho-disc (the 8002's was perforated metal) and the 8002 used a different arm for the mmc1-5 cartridges. Both used the linear drive motor/tacho-disc feedback system and were the respecive TTOL models when produced. The service manual covers the 6006, 8000, and 8002 models. Phil
  • 12-30-2007 4:00 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Fair enough Phil,

I (wrongly) assumed the 8002 was akin to the TX which uses the same tonearm with the later MMC* cartridge fitting and does differ as I mentioned earlier - DOH.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-30-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

There are a few differences - the PCBs are simplified with some of the settling and control circuits being integrated onto the main board. The service manual for the 8002 does include the 8000 and 6006 but there is a separate manual for just the 8000 which shows that some circuits do differ. The 8002 if anything looks slightly more complex - though it is a close run thing! The 6002 was the same as the TX and had belt drive and nothing like the complexity of the 8002.
  • 12-30-2007 4:24 PM In reply to

I can see I will have to scan the 8000 manual now!! Laughing
  • 12-31-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

I haven't got my 8002 back from Dillen yet but its finished so he has a fresh mind on how such a Beogram works.

Mine did not have the same symptoms as this but it did need a long overdue service. 

• 12-31-2007 8:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Intermittent ending play (actually a processor reset) is one of countless typical symptoms of aging capacitors.

A cap kit is available (from me) and I suggest you replace the lot and check for bad solders while in there, especially in the power supply area, transformer connector and any other places that look suspicious. The cap kit contains component location charts and the service manual will tell you how to open the deck. You need basic electronic skills and tools to do the repair. 

Martin

• 12-31-2007 10:37 AM In reply to

Wonderful! How do we get going on this purchase? Phil
  • 12-31-2007 11:18 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

You have a PM !

Martin

• 12-31-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

Dillen-figured out how to get a PM and I replied but can't review what I sent so I'm wondering if you got it.

For my sake and for the community's enlightenment, before ordering capacitor kits(s), are there any other failure-prone components I should acquire? Is the light source in the slave arm a consumable?  Also, the arm descends about as fast as it lifts (quickly). Is there a damping device/fluid in the servo? phil

• 12-31-2007 4:13 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Phil,

at the top right hand side of the forum page there is a small header named Inbox. If there is a number next to it then that is the number of new messages received/replies to sent messages. If you click on this header you will see the PM message you sent and any replies given.

Chris.

• 01-02-2008 9:16 PM In reply to

First, let me thank the community for being so helpful; I'm so glad I found you folks!

"Dillen" AKA Martin is sending me a capacitor kit, and I'm expecting my 8002 to make a full recovery.

As I said earlier, I have the circuitboard out of an 8000 also. Can anyone tell me if it is fully interchangeable with the 8002 part as the service manual would suggest? Also, I'm still wondering about R64 which is shown as an adjustable resistor 22K +/-20% (or value to be adjusted before installed?) resistor. It is listed in the list of resistors, shown on the schematic in zone A4, but not found by me on the circuitboard. There is however an R46 present in A4, but none in the list of resistors. Is this R64 and the numbers were transposed? Based on my incomplete understanding of circuitry, it looks to me that it controls the rate/time that it takes to charge C15 which is at the head of the record sensing circuit from the slave arm, which resets/shuts off TT when it doesn't see a disc. There are in and out waveforms shown at each end of the cicuit on the diagram. Does the value of R64 (and WHERE is it?) need to be adjusted to achieve the output waveform of the wiring diagram? Does anal compulsive have a hyphen?    phil

PS: I'm referencing off the wiring diagram that can be downloaded for free from vinylengine.com, which as far as I can tell is identical to the one on Beoworld, and applies to 8002, 8000, and 6006.

Edit: looking at the manual(s), although it covers 3 TTs (8002/8000/6006), it only lists the MMC2 cartridge which only fits 8002. It only lists one tonearm or tonearm assy ("sliding chassis complete"). Does this mean that you can up-grade an 8000 to 8002 spec by replacing the tonearm and cartridge? Confused. As an auto tech, this is the kind of poor info that plagues some car manufacturer's repair manuals. I always remember Partrick Magooen(SP) in The Prisoner. He would come to a point where he would shout to the gods "GIVE ME INFORMATION!! I WANT INFORMATION!!" Of course, none ever came.

• 01-02-2008 9:32 PM In reply to

Let me add this though it may not be relevant.

As far a I know the circuit boards if you swap the whole thing is interchangeable between 8000 and 8002.

The microprocessor module (ie metal can) is also interchangeable IF you swap the entire unit (ie can and all internal contents).

The microprocessor IS NOT interchangeable between 8000 and 8002. The MPU 8000 vs 8002 run at different clock speeds. Swapping them will lead to incorrect speeds.

Derek

• 01-03-2008 1:53 AM In reply to

The circuit boards do seem to differ - there is a separate circuit diagram for the 8000 in an earlier manual. I think that the 8000 was improved during production though so I can imagine that it varies!! I will get the other manual on site when I can.
  • 01-03-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

As Peter suggests, there were countless production changes and far from all are documented.
    The service manuals certainly differs from what's actually put in to most machines. I still have to see a machine that completely fits a service manual.
    The boards are generally NOT interchangeable, the processors are definitely not, codes, what's displayed etc. are different and so
    are f.e. the muting relay voltages if I'm not mistaken.
    The 8002 (or at least some 8002's) will also show you how many "repeats" are keyed in, the 8000/6006 won't.

Anyway, why would you put an 8000 board in an 8002 ?

Martin

• 01-03-2008 7:46 PM In reply to

I would use the 8000 board in my 8002 if you told me they were identical; I could replace the caps first and then it would be simpler to just install the re-capped board, Thanks for clearing that up, phil
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)