in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-22-2008 6:08 AM by marcus_m. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2008 8:24 AM

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Wii / Avant advice

Has anyone else had problems getting games on the Wii to fill the screen on an old Avant?

(I have an old 28" curved screen model)

I currently have a sky+ box in one scart socket and dvd1 going into the other (the third one has the avant's video scart cable in it already)

I connected the wii using the red, white and yellow jacks on the top left of the set (if you are looking at it from the back)

the wii is set to widescreen, but wii sports still doesn't quite fill the screen horizontally like it does on other tvs that I've seen - is there something that I'm not doing? (settings on the tv)

might this be solved by getting the official scart cable instead?

at present, whenever I switch the wii on the game comes straight up on screen, which I like.

If I do switch to using scart instead (which I'm tempted to do anyway as it will look neater round the back of the tv) would it work like this if I bought a scart switch box to share a socket with the dvd/sky or should I just unplug the scart lead for the vcr (which I don't ever use)?

any advice much appreciated!

• 02-25-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Wii / Avant advice

I was just going to ask the same question!!!!!!
  • 02-25-2008 11:43 AM In reply to

just use the official rgb cable , and plug into any 2 of the 3 scarts on the back  ( i think scart 1 & 2 are rgb capable )

only problem is that the wii has a mediocre at best video out , which is odd considering it's basically a slightly faster gamecube and the gamecube had a very good rgb out - it even came boxed with an rgb scart if i recall !

don't bother buying the component lead - it's only of use ( supposedly ) for hd tv's , but since the wii doesn't even support hd - it's really rather pointless

the picture via the component leads in my experience shows no improvement over rgb ( that's through 4 different sd/hd lcd tvs ) so it's basically a waste of money

popgear is grate™

• 02-25-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

so we should disconnect the vcr scart then?

-Edit: Or is it worth converting it to the coaxial/aerial plug since analogue is getting phased out and most have freeview/cable/sky?

• 02-25-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

Do you set your TV in format 6 (3 on newer TV's)?
  • 02-25-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

3 i think. widescreen.
  • 02-25-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

hey, thanks for the speedy response.

I followed your advice and pressed LIST>FORMAT>6 and it worked perfectly!

Do I have to do this every time or is there a way of making it go to this setting when I switch the wii on?

I'm still currently using the red/yellow/white cables btw - will pick up the scart cable tomorrow (still not sure where best to connect it though)

Thanks for all your help - really appreciate it!

• 02-26-2008 6:23 AM In reply to

I was unaware that there were composite jacks on an old Avant. I have one with what appears to be all of the optional extras except PinP. However I only have a headphone jack and S-video connnector at the back of the control panel (the bit where the clock is). Am I looking in the wrong place. I also have many game consoles and thus composite jacks would come in handy.

Thanks

Graham

• 02-26-2008 2:37 PM In reply to

There is a black cover in the middel of headphone and s-vhs pull this out. Wink

• 02-27-2008 6:22 AM In reply to

Excellent that will prove invaluable.

Thanks very much.

• 03-22-2008 6:08 AM In reply to

DW2008:

I followed your advice and pressed LIST>FORMAT>6 and it worked perfectly!

Do I have to do this every time or is there a way of making it go to this setting when I switch the wii on?

Sorry to bring this topic on top again, but I have the same problem.

Is there a way to fix the FORMAT setting? Maybe in the service menu?

Thanks, Marcus

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)