in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-02-2008 10:35 AM by soundproof. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2008 7:33 AM

BV8 PAL versus RGB

I was kind of surprised when I read that some users were dissatisfied with the image quality on their BV8s. I believe scognamiglio was very unhappy, and remember I wondered about the strength of the signal he was using.

Today I was fooling around with the setup menu, and I tried the PAL output setting from my STB, instead of the RGB I had set it to originally. The image became very degraded. Where the RGB input results in an almost glassy, 3D image - the PAL input looked bad in comparison. Raster effects, bad contrast, watered out colours.

Which means you really have to ensure that you have set the right signal out of your STB or similar box, and that you have set your BV8 to process this correctly.

• 03-01-2008 8:45 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Re: BV8 PAL versus RGB

I can't agree with you more on this subject. Its like night and day in comparison. I only ever use the composite (PAL) signal now as a last resort. Its RGB all the way for me! Even S- Video is poor compared to RGB. You'll be impressed with the difference.

My friend was going to buy a new TV because of the poor picture. I changed his Sky box over to RGB, and he was amazed that is was the same TV.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 03-01-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I give the dealer minus points for that being the case.
  • 03-02-2008 8:53 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Hmmm.

I'm about to install a BeoCenter 6-23 in the kitchen, but I am currently considering the 8-32 as an alternative due to the much better screen size. But I may have to go for a test drive to verify that the 32" is ok when used with standard RF link signal. If I have to get another STB from the cable company (to get RGB) the TV will have to be relocated within the room.

Roger

• 03-02-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

Well, as Ben says up above: it's two different sets, depending upon which signal you use. I would not have accepted the PAL only image. (And suspect that quite a few of those complaining about SD on BV7 are up against the same problem, in that they are feeding their sets with an inferior signal. I've seen RGB SD on BV7s that looks great.)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)