in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2008 4:34 PM by j0hnbarker. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2008 6:39 PM

MMC20EN

My MMC20EN used in my Beogram 4002 seems to have dropped a channel, or at least that's what I'm hoping. Has anyone got a decent MMC20XX cartridge that I can borrow just to work out if it's my cartridge or my Beogram that's developed a fault? I'm more than happy to cover postage costs etc.

TIA

John 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-07-2008 7:03 PM In reply to

Re: MMC20EN

John:

Easiest thing to do is to use a multimeter in the the continuity mode. If you don't have one use your fingers.

With the cartridge removed gently touch the contacts of the tone arm with the volume of the stereo turned up. By sliding your fingers from one edge of the connector to he next you should be able to hear the hum pan from one speaker to the other. If you hear no hum in one channel then in all likelihood it is the turntable.

If this is the case the most likely culprit is a cracked solder connection at the din connector.

Derek

• 06-10-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

Thanks Derek - I don't have a multimeter but will try the 'digital' method you suggested!

• 06-10-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Heyup John, I'm expecting delivery of a MMC20S shortly, it would be doing us both a favour if you borrowed it as I have nothing to test it on. I'll let you know if/when it arrvives.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-10-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Heyup John, I'm expecting delivery of a MMC20S shortly, it would be doing us both a favour if you borrowed it as I have nothing to test it on. I'll let you know if/when it arrvives.

Chris.

Nice one Chris. Give me a shout when you get it and we can sort something out :) 

• 06-14-2008 11:58 AM In reply to

Have you found a working one?

If not I have an original MMC20EN and it works perfectly. As my BM6006 is fully back to new I have yet to pick it up at Dillen and I also got a MMC20CL (Only slight use)  + a Beogram 8002 with a Soundsmith MMC2 which means I can live without the MMC20EN for a while at least.

Just send me a pm if interested.

• 06-14-2008 5:57 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Hi

I am about to list a 20CL on ebay for about  £60 - 70 ?? If you want to try it you are more than welcome no commitment its in excellent condition I would much rather someone from beoworld had it!! Simply use it to test if you want it let me know if not no problem!!

Regards

Andy 

• 06-16-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

Thanks for the responses guys:

Friedmett - Chris (medogsfat) lent me a MMC 20S that confirmed that the Beogram is working fine, it's just my MMC 20EN that has dropped a channel. Thanks for the offer though :)

Andy - I've been persuaded to go down the Soundsmith route, though I might be un-persuaded if I could try your CL. Are you sure that you won't mind if I decide that I don't want it? I'd cover postage costs both ways.

• 06-16-2008 9:44 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi John,

glad the MMC20S at least confirmed the problem for you. Sounds like a decent deal on the CL from andyt IMO.

If you do go down the Soundsmith route, now is the time with strength of the pound. I should add that there will be import duties to pay on a Soundsmith item which will probably add at least another £30 (possibly more) to the final price.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-16-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Hi John,

glad the MMC20S at least confirmed the problem for you. Sounds like a decent deal on the CL from andyt IMO.

If you do go down the Soundsmith route, now is the time with strength of the pound. I should add that there will be import duties to pay on a Soundsmith item which will probably add at least another £30 (possibly more) to the final price.

Chris.

Thanks again for the loan of the MMC 20S Chris! Sent you a PM on Sat night to say thanks - hope you got it?

• 06-16-2008 11:25 AM In reply to

Get Soundsnith to send it without a value on it. In this case uninsured.

It will glide through customs.

It worked for my mine. I got tired of the MMC2 going between Denmark and US 2 times without getting to me just because of custom errors.

• 06-16-2008 2:50 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Thanks again for the loan of the MMC 20S Chris! Sent you a PM on Sat night to say thanks - hope you got it?

Hi John,

no prob's mate. How does it sound BTW - pretty ropey I would imagine looking at the state of the stylus.

Chris.

• 06-16-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    j0hnbarker:

Hi John,

no prob's mate. How does it sound BTW - pretty ropey I would imagine looking at the state of the stylus.

Chris.

Sounded well rough Chris!  

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)