in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2008 2:30 PM by Jandyt. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2008 2:05 PM

Beolab & Beomaster 5000 - digital sources?

Now that Peter's is being refurbished, and Andy's gotten one, I read below that Casdave's got one and JohnBarker's girlfriend will be getting him one -- these are becoming all the vogue. Peter wondered what I did about digital and CD, and what speakers I'm using. Here's my reply to him - might be of interest to others.
    (Edited slightly - now that the broken post is gone).

===

The Beovox 5000/2500 combination would have been nice, but too large in the room where I have the system. Would have been authentic, though!

I decided not to have a CD-player. Both as it isn't necessary, and as it would break with the age they're from. The Beogram 3000 you have will look fabulous next to them, though I'm also pretty pleased with my Beogram 4000 in combination.

As to other speakers. I considered the B&W DM70 Continentals - great sounding, too. But when I saw them in the flesh I nixed those, as well, for the same reason as the Beovox ones.

The Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers I'm using now do a really good job - nice, rich sound - and a good, wide soundstage. However, as they're on stands, they're not exactly wallflowers.

As you can see from the photo, I have a small DAC (Grace m902) to the left of the Beomaster. It's attached to an Airport Express with a toslink digital cable, and to the TAPE IN DIN on the Beolab from RCA OUT on the Grace. I got a converting cable, to skip a joint.
    Curiously, the AUX IN doesn't take the signal, as the connectors are reversed there, Frede told me.
    I then just pipe lossless music from my harddisk to the AE, controlling it with the iPod Touch when I'm in the couch reading or friends are visiting.
    The DAC can be hidden away, of course.

The nice thing about the Grace is that it also has a headphone amp, which means I can sit and listen late at night without bothering anyone.

Really don't see a need for a CD-player with this setup.

• 02-14-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Beolab & Beomaster 5000 - digital sources?

Nice photograph Soundproof.
    So far, I don't have a Beogram connected to mine so I am using a Beogram CD 7000 plugged into phono with pins 1 and 8 removed.
    I have got a lovely Beocord 2400 also from Casdave but not connected it yet so I have been using a cheap, nasty, Kikinoko MP3 player in the tape socket. I tried it in the Aux socket but nothing came through, didn't realise it was wired up differently.
    Jay kindly sent me an FM aerial for nowt and it is lovely to hear the tuner on Classic FM of course.
    I like the furniture you have yours on. The colour is reminiscent of the front of a 900K.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-14-2008 2:33 PM In reply to

He-he. Can't say I was thinking of a 900K when I bought it, but when I saw one at Frede's I thought, Hmmmm!

Yes, I thought something was wrong with my AUX IN (as if, after just having been refurbished by him), but he explained that the two are wired differently.

AUX DIN has 1 and 4 as active; TAPE DIN has 3 and 5 as active - both with 2 as ground. Your signal cable needs to be configured accordingly.

Hope you have a good FM signal, when you do the Beomaster really does good work.

Have you fiddled any with the level settings on the bottom, for the various sources?

• 02-14-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Heard the Focus 140s with a Nait 5i and some Rega CD player (can't remember which one), very nice speakers, although I found the bass a little over-ripe. Maybe they just weren't run in?

Good looks though...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-14-2008 2:46 PM In reply to

They actually need a very long run-in, and you should check the vent in the back - can be stopped/adjusted if there's too much bass. Depends on the room, I think. Mine are quite precise - but I don't like them too close to the wall, for that reason.

• 02-14-2008 2:48 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes, I turned up the tape one so my MP3s would be a similar volume to my CD (phono). I think my phono one needs turning back down, as, on volume 7 things vibrate off the shelves in my lounge!
    I have an outside, rooftop aerial but that is connected to my Beosystem 7000. Guess I will eventually split it and send it to both Beomasters. So far, my strongest signal only goes up to 26 on the VU meter.
    I know my 'stereo' light does not work on the amp, but have doubts about the 'stereo' light on the tuner! Perhaps the signal strength is not enough.
    When you are on a good signal, do both 'stereo' lights light up? 
    What is your highest signal reading?

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-14-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

By the way Andy, I have a week off starting this Saturday, so let me know which bits you need and I will do some disassembling!
  • 02-14-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Jandyt:
    Yes, I turned up the tape one so my MP3s would be a similar volume to my CD (phono). I think my phono one needs turning back down, as, on volume 7 things vibrate off the shelves in my lounge!
    I have an outside, rooftop aerial but that is connected to my Beosystem 7000. Guess I will eventually split it and send it to both Beomasters. So far, my strongest signal only goes up to 26 on the VU meter.
    I know my 'stereo' light does not work on the amp, but have doubts about the 'stereo' light on the tuner! Perhaps the signal strength is not enough.
    When you are on a good signal, do both 'stereo' lights light up? 
    What is your highest signal reading?

Hi Andy,

The signal reading can be realative, if the Beomaster is not calibrated resently. If calbrated - my very good signal (tranmitter some 25km away) signal reading is 90.

The stereo lamp / Beomaster is on with a good signal however the 'trigger point' is ajustibel  see on the back of the beomaster a small 'shaft' for ajusting is there side by side of the muting level adjustment.

Lamps

Beomaster uses 19V - but please use 24V for a little longer life (both lamps)

Beolab uses 60V (both lamps)

If you have any questions - let me know.

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 02-14-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

Agh! You're all so lucky! I SO want one of these systems. My girlfriend has promised to buy me one for my 30th birthday (which incidentally is in 1 year and 5 days time), but I really don't want to wait that long!!! :(

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-14-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Cheers Frede, you are a gentleman. I will get a little time on Sunday to mess with it.
    If Aux is wired differently, what is it designed to accept?

Thanks Peter, you are so kind. Up to now, it is just the tuner faceplate and the volume slider. No rush mind, I haven't even opened mine yet.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-14-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I know John, I can't believe how lucky I am, and how kind Casdave was to me, selling it at a price I could afford.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-14-2008 3:43 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Cheers Andy,

To morrow I will work out a complete overview of input and output for Beolab / Beomaster 5000 for you. This might help. Because I think it is a good idea to look at the sensitivity at the same time. More tomorrow.

/Frede

• 02-15-2008 4:10 AM In reply to

I think a good match for this system in the B&O range would be the Beovox 3800.

I know they are differant eras and they are large than yours, but they do go together well.

You could always try some P50's, never had a pair of this range of speakers, but if my Vox 1600 are anything to go by, then B&O panel speakers are pretty good when driven by a decent amp.

How are you getting on with your system Andy, I'm glad its being used and cared for, I think maybe me having two of them was just being a bit too selfish.

• 02-15-2008 4:32 AM In reply to

What do you know? The stereo indication lamp can be adjusted to trigger to different intensities!

I understand more and more why Frede has declared his unconditional admiration for the Beolab/Beomaster 5000 -- this setup must have been truly astonishing when it was launched. Someone really did tell the B&O engineers to make the best they could back then. It's still good!

Here's another view - that's the cabinet holding my records in the back, I actually have another in the corner that's empty on the first picture, as well. And the white cloth in the shelf I just put over the set when I'm out of the house, as I don't like curtains and it's good to avoid direct sunlight drying out the wood (just writing this to warm Frede's heart, though he'll really thaw the day he sees Beovox5000/2500 in my room) Big Smile:

• 02-15-2008 8:57 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Thank you - Soundproof i really appreciate your concern Smile

However I do have a question .... what are these foreign speakers doing in your home?

/Frede

• 02-15-2008 9:00 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

about the Beomaster 5000 adjustments....

Perhaps this link is of some use for you: http://www.beolab.dk/BM5000-I-uk.htm

I promissed yesterday some information regarding Beomaster 5000 - Beolab 5000 --- Here are my suggestions to an easy way to find out, I hope:  Please see the attachement (above) - a PDF file with the informations.

/Frede

• 02-15-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

classic:

Thank you - Soundproof i really appreciate your concern Smile

However I do have on question .... what are these foreign speakers doing in your home?

/Frede

Take a look at your passport, Frede. Those "foreign" looking speakers come from the same country! 

• 02-15-2008 9:28 AM In reply to

• 02-15-2008 9:42 AM In reply to

I know, I was going to add that I would buy a comment along the lines of 'out of place' -- though going from the list above, and while they are outlandish looking, and considered extraneous, I've still chosen to adopt them, which may seem far-fetched and I hope I haven't alienated or estranged any of the pure authenticity freaks here.

I may opt for Beovox 5000/2500 in the office in my next house! There's a remote possibility of that happening.

Greetings from a non-resident barbarian! 

• 02-15-2008 9:58 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

LaughingLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-15-2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

LaughingLaughing
    Brilliant Soundproof!!

Thanks for the link and the PDF Frede, Nice and easy to follow.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)