in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2008 5:05 PM by saf. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2008 10:12 PM

The End of Bang & Olufsen? Hardly.

With the doom and gloom thread wheezing to an end, I thought I'd take a stab at expressing what I love so much about Bang & Olufsen in a context other than defending it!

I love that after almost 90 years in an industry that's more and more hostile towards build quality and "the long view," Bang & Olufsen continues to build products that are defiantly well made.

I love that one of Bang & Olufsen's biggest problems is how to groom another design genius.

I love that Bang & Olufsen refuses to recognize the iPod as a sensible stereo component.

I love how they offer almost no opportunity to take the easy or cheap way out. I've always admired chefs, designers, writers, artists, etc. who were so bold in what they were looking to achieve that they didn't worry themselves with how accessible their product would be. Not because they wanted exclusivity, but because they were writing, designing, cooking, or building for the select few who developed their senses to the point that such endeavors could be truly appreciated, and that to seek greater appeal with a wider audience would leave these individuals with nowhere to go but through the turn-style with everyone else. 

I love that Bang & Olufsen appeals to my wildest aspirations rather than my common sense. 

Your turn... 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-12-2008 5:01 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

Re: The End of Bang & Olufsen? Hardly.

I don't have very much to say about this, other than my B&O products are all fabulous and I love the ease of use, the elegance and the performance of all of them. I could do with a bit more bass from my BL4500s, but aestethically there are no other speakers that can match them.

I do use my iPod as a stereo component, though. Wink

It felt very refreshing to read your post. Finally a bit of praise for what Bang & Olufsen does right. Which is quite a lot...

• 02-12-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Same here, i also felt your post refreshing, especially after having read doom scenarios.

@fridsten:

Couldn't agree more, my Beolab4500's (and BS4500)
    are among the B&O products that i'm very fond of.

Smile

• 02-12-2008 5:19 AM In reply to

I love the touch and feel of B&O equipment. With very few exceptions it is uncompromising in its dedication to craftsmanship and the use of materials. I love the sheer weight of it (most of the time, the BeoSound 4 was surprisingly light, but that didn't seem to compromise performance.)

And I love the fact that I can have components in my home that are beautiful when not in use, and that perform excellently when in use. Functional sculptures. My all black BV8 is simply astonishing on its floor stand, for instance, it should be signed by the designer.
    My Beosystem 6500, Beolab/Beomaster 5000, BL5, Beogram 4000, BL3s - all simply wonderful expressions of form and function.

As you, I doubt B&O is nearing its end. As I wrote in the other thread, the journalist seemed to have missed that they're making money. But it's a tricky market, and a lot of other manufacturers have discovered design, and are pairing it with the best available "out there" -- so, interesting times ahead for us all.

• 02-12-2008 5:23 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I think everyone on this site will agree in prinicipal with your comments, the other threads were less to do with  "whining" and more to do with concern for the future product direction of the company given recent product releases. I agree with your sentiment -

"I love that Bang & Olufsen appeals to my wildest aspirations rather than my common sense",

but the company must ensure that it doesn't become Past Tense.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-12-2008 7:17 AM In reply to

What a refreshing post indeed !

the "quote" : "I love that Bang & Olufsen appeals to my wildest aspirations rather than my common sense" this says it all !!

But we're talking [relatively] older equipment here [e.g. BL4500 and so on] in my opinion the Audio is oke, but the Video aspect is weakening as far as quality [less in design] concerns.

I really love my B&O stuff [both in sound,looks and picture] but I won't replace my BL5000/BL4500 [Ignace: BL5000 is the way to get a better/bigger bass from the BL4500..... Wink for e.g. BL3

or my BV3 for e.g. BV7,

I like my BS4 and even sold my BS7000 for it, without any regrets [so far...................]

but will replace my Penta III for a BL5 [but for no other newer BL version.....; given the chance [and a bigger living-room] Big Smile

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 02-12-2008 8:55 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

beologisch:

[Ignace: BL5000 is the way to get a better/bigger bass from the BL4500..... Wink

Smile

Since i added a Beolab2 to the Beolab 4500 + Beovox 4500,
    the bass has improved a LOT

Smile

• 02-12-2008 9:12 AM In reply to

Ignace:
    beologisch:

[Ignace: BL5000 is the way to get a better/bigger bass from the BL4500..... Wink

Smile

Since i added a Beolab2 to the Beolab 4500 + Beovox 4500,
    the bass has improved a LOT

Smile

I certainly can believe that !

That is way over the top 4 me : adding a BL2 to my Penta III [setup with my BL5000] was a very bad idea, way too much bass !!

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 02-12-2008 2:25 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

With the doom and gloom thread wheezing to an end, I thought I'd take a stab at expressing what I love so much about Bang & Olufsen in a context other than defending it!

I love that after almost 90 years in an industry that's more and more hostile towards build quality and "the long view," Bang & Olufsen continues to build products that are defiantly well made.

I love that one of Bang & Olufsen's biggest problems is how to groom another design genius.

I love that Bang & Olufsen refuses to recognize the iPod as a sensible stereo component.

I love how they offer almost no opportunity to take the easy or cheap way out. I've always admired chefs, designers, writers, artists, etc. who were so bold in what they were looking to achieve that they didn't worry themselves with how accessible their product would be. Not because they wanted exclusivity, but because they were writing, designing, cooking, or building for the select few who developed their senses to the point that such endeavors could be truly appreciated, and that to seek greater appeal with a wider audience would leave these individuals with nowhere to go but through the turn-style with everyone else. 

I love that Bang & Olufsen appeals to my wildest aspirations rather than my common sense. 

Your turn... 

Halleluja!!
    At last some positive feelings
    I thought it was just me that noticed so much doom and gloom.
    First Torbens exit
    Then Ed's
    Then the 'end of B&O' thread
    I even got chastised by a fellow Beoworlder for making pleasantries on what was supposed to be a serious thread.
    Let's lighten up, life's too short to be miserable!

P.S. I love every bit of B&O I have.

Andy T. Big Smile

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-12-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

Jandyt:
    TripEnglish:

Halleluja!!
    At last some positive feelings
    I thought it was just me that noticed so much doom and gloom.
    First Torbens exit
    Then Ed's
    Then the 'end of B&O' thread
    I even got chastised by a fellow Beoworlder for making pleasantries on what was supposed to be a serious thread.
    Let's lighten up, life's too short to be miserable!

P.S. I love every bit of B&O I have.

Andy T. Big Smile

Its not doom and gloom.  Its just intense feelings about Bang & Olufsen and the hope they will survive.  You are correct we can get a little too serious.  Is there more in your story about Dave Moulton's visit to London? 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-12-2008 3:44 PM In reply to

Exactly! Some of the recent posts on the future of B&O have been the best on here for a long while, and I personally have learnt a lot from reading them. All I was saying in an earlier post Andy was that you can't make light of everything, and sometimes threads can get hijacked and we then lose some of the cogency of the very valid arguments. On a forum there's got to be a place for serious discussion every now and then, and a place for more light hearted threads, but let's not de-rail something worthy either by accident or design.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-12-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Point taken John, I will be more considerate in future.
    Still pals?Yes -  thumbs up

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-12-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

Jandyt:
    Point taken John, I will be more considerate in future.
    Still pals?Yes -  thumbs up

Of course :)

I've just enjoyed some of the recent threads immensely, and when we've strayed off-topic I feel like I've missed out on an enjoyable read, that's all. 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-12-2008 5:05 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

John, as Andy was not alone in this one: In the context of certain thread, I found it simply compelling to point out that sometimes things are perhaps being taken too seriously – admittedly a bit clumsily, I tried to employ irony as a tool to achieve that. Putting myself in the centre of the joke I believed in limited risk of offending anyone. Well, it’s difficult not to get seduced by Andy’s good mood and joking (thanks goodness for him), especially amidst ‘doom and gloom’. Of course, it’s perfectly alright to try to bring a thread to the original subject as you tried! I would though not worry too much about hijacking threads: when people really feel they want/have something to say they will do so, as some of the great recent threads demonstrate.

Beer

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)