in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2008 9:04 PM by Phil Hunt. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2008 6:51 PM

8002 fails to lower tonearm

I'm buying another 8002. It allegedly has an MMC1 cartridge and fails to drop the tonearm.

What's the likely problem? Will I need another capacitor kit or is it somehing else? Phil

• 01-09-2008 7:31 AM In reply to

Re: 8002 fails to lower tonearm

I said it before but the older the stuff the more it needs of a qualified service.

All sorts of errors like this one should be cured and the best thing to do would be a capacitor kit not in the short but long run.

I'm biased as I got my 8002 back from Dillen just yesterday. Some caps were changed among other things but the end result is a faultless Beogram and worth every penny!

Do the best thing for the Beogram and you will be happy. Get a cap kit.

• 01-09-2008 2:06 PM In reply to

Just went to check mine to test this for you and it is misbehaving!! Could be capacitors or a fault in the lowering circuit.
  • 01-09-2008 6:18 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Replacing capacitors is an essential step in any restoration so that would be a good place to start.

Does the tonearm stop, hovering above the lead-in groove ?
    Do you have a bright light from under the sensor arm, shining onto the record ?

Martin

• 01-09-2008 7:55 PM In reply to

I'm not sure-the TT is "in the mail". Based on the seller's description I think the record sensing circuit is working, it just won't set down when asked to or automatically when expected to. I'm waiting for the cap kit for my other 8002 that spontaneously lifts the tonearm. I paid $200 for this TT with an MMC1 and am hoping I made a home run. I guess I need to be patiernt waiting for it and the caps, then I'll report and probably need another cap-kit. phil
  • 02-03-2008 9:04 PM In reply to

The turntable arrived and it's a home run! Physical condition near perfect and MMC1 cartridge looks new under 40X magnifier. It was described as not dopping the tonearm but the immediate problem was dried lubrication on the lead screw carrier nut that was stalling the tonearm just before the setdown position. A little cleaning and lubrication, a quick adjustment/setup, and lets enjoy some music!! Not so fast-back to square one-after some use,  this 8002 does the spontaneous tonearm lift also. Cap kit #2 ordered from Dillen and back to using the TX again. phil
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)