in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2008 1:16 AM by camshaft. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2008 2:59 PM

Beolab Penta speakers

I recently purchased a complete Beo 5500 system from a godd friend and neighbor.  according to him, it had been his father's and then was a gift to him.  Hardly used.  Everything worked fine for some time and then the left Penta when turned on, now goes red, then a very quick green, then to yellow where it stays.  Of course, othere than a rather sharp buzz going from red to yellow (very fast) there is then no sound reproduced. 

Manual (from Beoworld) describes problem, a quick fis try (doesn't work) then suggests contact dealer; It also warns not to do on off more than a couple times.

I have sent email to dealer in Portland, Oregon, but after over a month no reply.  I will try them again, but in the meantime, if anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Mike Moore

Filed under:
  • 01-11-2008 3:26 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab Penta speakers

Relax... its proberly only the cable. try to change it with the other that you know that works...
  • 01-14-2008 4:37 PM In reply to

Thanks.  I'll try it and see what happens.  I'll let you know.
  • 01-14-2008 5:56 PM In reply to

Probably less optimistic! I think it will be a component failure in the amplifier. Will be very happy to be proved wrong though!!

• 01-16-2008 9:01 PM In reply to

So far it looks like Peter has the field.  I am still fiddling with the cables though.  Will report progress or lack.  Assuming Peter proves correct, any suggestions of where to look for replacement (working)?

Mike

• 01-29-2008 1:16 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Worst case scenario you can just use a good external non-B&O amplifier to power the pentas.  Although if you're good with electronics it's always worth grabbing the service manual from this site and trying to troubleshoot them.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)