in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-21-2007 12:50 AM by paddy2042. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2007 11:53 PM

TV picture off centre!

My Avant has the picture off centre: the menus from the BC2 DVD player are off the left edge of the screen. when the format is 4:3 the black bars down the side are uneven - much wider on the right side. I have had service look at this problem several times to no avail. they have tried all the usual adjustments and have simply given up! Does anyone have any idea how this may be remedied? I usually end up getting most of my remedies from this forum rather than B&O themselves! It is becoming increasingly difficult to tell people that the Avant is the best CRT made and to have them see this problem.

Patrick

• 07-30-2007 1:51 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: TV picture off centre!

The centering is a parameter in the service menu (H-PH if I am correct); but I assume that the service people from B&O have tried to set this value correctly.

Do you have any more information about what they tried to do to fix the problem?

Regards,

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 07-30-2007 2:03 AM In reply to

Patrick,

Whilst there is an adjustment for centreing the picture, if the problem has just occured, then it is not an adjustment problem.

So, has this problem just occured ? or has it been with the AVANT since you first owned it ? Also which version of AVANT do yu have the problem with.

If the AVANT was previously working correctly, then most likely is a fault in the circuit which defines exactly the picture information starts to be displayed on each scan cycle

Regards Keith....

• 07-31-2007 7:14 PM In reply to

The Avant picture has always been off centre - at least since B&O replaced the picture tube. I bought the Avant 28" VCR second hand from a dealer and soon after delivery the picture tube blew. since it was under warranty they replaced the tube. I'm sure that the wervice people have tried all the obvious settings in the Service menu as they have tried to fix the problem more than once. I think the TV comes from about 1998 or somewhere thereabouts.I would really appreciate anyone who has some gem of wisdom.

Patrick

• 08-01-2007 2:20 AM In reply to

So, the problem has been with the AVANT since the tube was replaced and I am assuming the problem did not exist with the old tube before it blew or may be you did not notice.

Given what you say, the most likely cause of the problem is going to be with the scanning assembly which sits on the neck of the tube and magnetically deflects the tube beams or the service engineer failed to correctly set the Horizontal Centre Switch marked in the service manual as 5S1 and can be found in location 7E. This is a physical multi position switch and nothing to do with the software setting via the service menu.

I am assuming you are not a technical person who could investigate this yourself, so I suggest you call in the B&O service department again and direct them to the above switch adjustment.

Regards Keith....

• 08-01-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Hamburg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

paddy2042:
    The Avant picture has always been off centre - at least since B&O replaced the picture tube. I bought the Avant 28" VCR second hand from a dealer and soon after delivery the picture tube blew. since it was under warranty they replaced the tube. I'm sure that the wervice people have tried all the obvious settings in the Service menu as they have tried to fix the problem more than once. I think the TV comes from about 1998 or somewhere thereabouts.I would really appreciate anyone who has some gem of wisdom.
    I experienced the same last year when the tube in my avant died. The tube was replaced with a new one and after a couple of days I noticed that the picture was a little lower (0.5 cm) on the right hand side. I never got it resolved, but bought a BV 7 Smile
  • 08-02-2007 9:44 PM In reply to

I just don't understand why it is so difficult for Service to fix the problem. The TV is now out of warranty so I guess I will have an uphill battle to get them to come back and look at it. There has got to be an easier way!

Patrick

• 08-21-2007 12:50 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:
    So, the problem has been with the AVANT since the tube was replaced and I am assuming the problem did not exist with the old tube before it blew or may be you did not notice.Given what you say, the most likely cause of the problem is going to be with the scanning assembly which sits on the neck of the tube and magnetically deflects the tube beams or the service engineer failed to correctly set the Horizontal Centre Switch marked in the service manual as 5S1 and can be found in location 7E. This is a physical multi position switch and nothing to do with the software setting via the service menu.I am assuming you are not a technical person who could investigate this yourself, so I suggest you call in the B&O service department again and direct them to the above switch adjustment.
    I have just contacted service and given them your suggestions Keith. I hope that it bears some fruit. Will report back.

Patrick

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)