in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2008 10:16 PM by Bouncer. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2008 11:04 PM

My BL2 wasn't working the other day and I have traced it back to a blown fuse.  I have replaced it with a 13A fuse and it works fine now.  But the problem is the blown fuse I took out was only 3A fuse and I asked my local dealer whether its ok to put a 13A fuse in and the reply was yes.  I just want to know what the originally rating of the fuse was when fitted from factory?

I also had a problem with my 2 month old BL9 which I mentioned in the other thread.  I hope they are not inter related or its something to do with the electrical supply from my appartment.

Vic 

• 01-18-2008 2:00 AM In reply to

Re: BL2 Fuse

Simplistically, V x I = W, so if you have a 240 V supply and produce 850W, you draw slightly more than 3 amps. I would use a 5A fuse!
  • 01-18-2008 2:39 AM In reply to

Whilst a Beolab 2 can produce a maximum of 850 watts of output power, that is NOT the power drawn from the mains socket, if it was you would have some very high electricity bills

Power drawn by a Beolab 2 from the 240 volt mains has a maximum of 15 watts running and 400 milli-watts in standby. A 3 amp fuse in my view is the correct fuse.

Also remember that power in a DC circuit is different from power in an AC circuit.

Regards Keith....

• 01-18-2008 3:12 AM In reply to

Isn't the 15W figure described as a 'typical ' figure? I did say my figures were simplistic!
  • 01-18-2008 3:47 AM In reply to

• Hughie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Walton-On-Thames
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

periodically my BL2 blows a fuse - so have replaced it with a 5amp. I seem to remember this question being asked in the old forum and the advice was not to replace with a 13amp, but if needed up to a 5amp would be sufficient.  Only my two pennies worth of experience

Hughie

• 01-18-2008 4:24 AM In reply to

Peter,

The main point I was making is that the power output of the speaker is different from the power consumption (watts) and curremt (amps) drawn from the mains.

A 5 amp fuse will be fine, but I would actually use a 3 amp slow blow fuse which takes into account small spikes in current drawn from the mains without the fuse blowing.

Regards Keith....

• 01-18-2008 4:52 AM In reply to

BeoLab 2's are boxed with a 5 amp rated fuse, while most other speakers in the range (excluding BL5's and BL1's) have a 3 amp fuse.  It is not uncommon for installaers to use the wrong mains cable.  Keith has a point about the 3 amp rated fuse but in my experience they do blow quite often if used, personally I would not use a 13 amp fuse.
  • 01-18-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

Thanks all.  Silly me (or lazy me), could have worked it out with Ohms Law.  I think I will put back a 3A fuse and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the tips.

Vic

• 01-18-2008 11:40 AM In reply to

Vic,

I suggest you use a 3 amp slow blow fuse which will still blow if the current exceeds 3 amps, but if it goes above the 3 amp rating for just a few milli seconds then it will not blow.

You can see some examples of "Slow blow" or anti-surge mains fuses HERE

Regards Keith....

• 01-20-2008 8:32 AM In reply to

Thanks Keith.  I feel much more protected now with a 3A fuse.

Vic

• 01-23-2008 5:35 PM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

When BeoLab1 and BeoLab2 were launched they were shipped with mains cables that had a label warning that the mains leads should    only be used with those products as the fuse fitted inside the plug was higher than 3amp.

From my experience, once speakers started getting swapped around the showroom, BeoLab2's blew fuses if they were connected with standard mains cables.  Replacing with a 5amp fuse cured the problem.

Opman

• 01-23-2008 9:11 PM In reply to

HellO!  

How did you get the 'skin' off the BL 9?

Thanks,

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 01-23-2008 10:16 PM In reply to

Hi Dario,

A B&O technician did that for me.  It was a fault with the circuit board.  He used a special tool (to avoid scratching?) to peel open the crescent shape black plastic cover behind the acoustic lens and then after that a couple of screws.

Vic

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)