in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-22-2008 12:23 PM by moxxey. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2008 3:14 PM

Which is the latest sw for BV 7-40 MarkIII?

Hi, I have one of the first sold BV7-40 Mark III in Sweden. I have software 3.3. I have heard that the latest sw is 4.0, is that correct?

What "things" will the new software solve?

/Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 01-20-2008 5:37 PM In reply to

Re: Which is the latest sw for BV 7-40 MarkIII?

Hi Martin,

The latest software is version 4.0. Is does solve the problem that you wasn't able to operate the HDR2 from a link room. It also fixed the problem that it seemed to lose the video stand position (the stand just stayed in neutral position, when turning on a video source).

A new or I might say an old feature is reintroduced: The LARGE (double hight) function when using TEXT-TV is back.

/Frank

• 01-21-2008 2:11 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

The "picture" SW 4.01 is the latest...

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 01-21-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

I understand that version 4.0 fixes quite a few issues and the following are some I have heard about:-

• If Timer recordings overlap, the wrong channel is recorded on DVD 2
    • Continously changes speaker mode from 1 to 3 and back again without user intervention.
    • Cannot store maximum volume, if BtB module is fitted
    • Stand cannot turn all the way to the left
    • Switches to what is called "Safemode" during normal viewing
    • Clock synchronisation does not work in DVB-S/T groups
    • 16:9 DTV program is shown in format 4:3

Regards Keith....

• 01-22-2008 2:18 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Picture SW update 4.01

BeoVision 7-40 MK III and interference in picture at short viewing distance

Information valid for: BeoVision 7 - 40 MK III

Last modified: 17-01-2008 08:23:22

Some retailers and customers find that the picture quality of BeoVision 7-40 MK III is not as good as that of

BeoVision 7-40 MK II and that there is a larger degree of interference in the picture. This is due to the fact

that BeoVision 7-40 MK III has been optimised to display more details than MK II. In MK II we used a large

amount of noise reduction which made the picture more blurred and slowed down transitions.

This optimisation means that the picture quality of BeoVision 7-40 MK III is very high when watching

television from the optimum viewing position which is 3 metres from the television. However, being closer

to the television, the picture appears with more interference. Much of this interference is caused by the

MPEG 2 compression used for DVD and DVB.

When you inform customers of the BeoVision 7-40 MK III, you must also inform him of the conditions for

the optimum viewing experience and that is the correct distance.

We have now made a special service software version 4.01 (build 326). In this software we have added the

option of adjusting the sharpness of the picture. In the Customer Service Menu under "PICTURE

ADJUSTMENTS", you will now see a line called "SHARPNESS LEVEL", selecting a lower value in this menu will

make the picture slower an remove some of the finer details.

Adjusting the "SHARPNESS LEVEL" down to "00" will make the picture slower than on the BeoVision 7-40

MK II, therefore please be careful not to 'exaggerate' the adjustment. This service software is only meant

for use in shops.

ServiceTool MK 2 will be updated with this new software as soon as possible.

Note: This is only a shourtcut to the same "sharpness adjustment tool" you can find in the Service Menu.

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 01-22-2008 2:48 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:
    Picture SW update 4.01

When you inform customers of the BeoVision 7-40 MK III, you must also inform him of the conditions for

"Sorry, but you can only watch this TV if you have a large sitting room and sit over 3 metres away from the TV". Nice sales pitch.

Beolab, this sharpness setting is already present in the service menu?

• 01-22-2008 2:56 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Beolab:
    Picture SW update 4.01

"Sorry, but you can only watch this TV if you have a large sitting room and sit over 3 metres away from the TV". Nice sales pitch.

Beolab, this sharpness setting is already present in the service menu?

Yes!... Go to the Service menu + Picture Menus + Panel /PW ADJUST menu. There you have the Sharpness Level in the bottom of this menu.

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 01-22-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

Yes!... Go to the Service menu + Picture Menus + Panel /PW ADJUST menu. There you have the Sharpness Level in the bottom of this menu.

So, the 'fix' is something that can already be fixed? I'm finding the B&O 'experience' to be a bit bizarre at the moment. Surely they could have suggested this months ago, perhaps to the dealer? ie. if anyone who is watching analogue or DVB-T channels complains of pixelisation, simply reduce the sharpness level in the service menu.

Why does it take months to establish a fix that is already built-in to the system? :)

• 01-22-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

You understood correctly moxxey ...

And why? 

1. B&o are slow in the turns as we all know... Storm

2. Because B&o thinks it´s to risky for the owner´s to go into the Service Menu and adjust the sharpness level by Him/her self...

Thats why they have made a shortcut for the sharpness adjustment tool in the Service menu to the Costumer Service Menu = More safe place for the average owner to navigate and more and more...

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 01-22-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

I see nothing strange in this from B&O. You should not mess with service menu ;-)
  • 01-22-2008 5:44 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

....mr anders(son):
    I see nothing strange in this from B&O. You should not mess with service menu ;-)

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that: how come it takes B&O months to figure a fix that is already built-in to the system? For instance, ask a dealer about the MKIII pixelisation issue and they say a 'fix is on the way'. The fix has been available to a dealer from day 1: go to the service menu and adjust sharpness.

That's not a fix!

• 01-22-2008 9:56 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Beolab:

So, the 'fix' is something that can already be fixed? I'm finding the B&O 'experience' to be a bit bizarre at the moment. Surely they could have suggested this months ago, perhaps to the dealer? ie. if anyone who is watching analogue or DVB-T channels complains of pixelisation, simply reduce the sharpness level in the service menu.

Why does it take months to establish a fix that is already built-in to the system? :)

I was waiting with great interest on the 'software update' for the BV7 that would solve the SD  issue that was promised.

So the idea is that one 'dumbs down' the picture in order that the flaws dont show up so badly??

I take it this aa universal setting - so what does this do to the HD image? Unless the srvice menu allows individual input alteration.

What amazes  that here are advances in panel contrast ratios and with the panel in place one lowers the sharpness, adds BnO dark screen so any advantage is lost anyway.

• 01-22-2008 10:09 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

I take it this aa universal setting - so what does this do to the HD image?

Yes, it is. My dealer warned me that a fix may actually just reduce the sharpness of the image, thus affecting HD picture quality. I don't think you can have both - effective SD and pin sharp HD.

I'm going to be more positive than I've been in the past. My BV7-40 MKIII either is improving in SD picture quality or my expectations were too high. Perhaps a combination of both.

Most SD pictures through Sky are fine. Indeed, I was watching something on Channel 5 last night and thought the picture quality was almost HD standard. Upscaled SD images, via Channel 4 HD (ie not filmed in HD) are fantastic, providing it's all to do with the incoming bandwidth rather than poor quality SD pictures.

Sky HD and BBC HD are superb. Indeed, I'd even say that some programmes are better than those on the BV4-50. Those plasma-based HD images are rather bland, far more smooth looking. The colours and sharpness of a top-notch HD image, on the BV7-40 MKIII, cannot be bettered (easily!).

Since watching the best HD content on my BV7-40, then seeing the same content on the BV4-50, I'm more impressed with the image on the BV7-40 MKIII. I'm not disappointed with the BV4-50 in comparison, it's just that the BV7-40 MKIII is a little sharper and colours brighter.

• 01-22-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

Remind me how to access the service menu, pleawse.  And is there/will there ever be a sharpness adjustment for the mark ii?
  • 01-22-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

I take it this aa universal setting - so what does this do to the HD image?

Yes, it is. My dealer warned me that a fix may actually just reduce the sharpness of the image, thus affecting HD picture quality. I don't think you can have both - effective SD and pin sharp HD.

I'm going to be more positive than I've been in the past. My BV7-40 MKIII either is improving in SD picture quality or my expectations were too high. Perhaps a combination of both.

Most SD pictures through Sky are fine. Indeed, I was watching something on Channel 5 last night and thought the picture quality was almost HD standard. Upscaled SD images, via Channel 4 HD (ie not filmed in HD) are fantastic, providing it's all to do with the incoming bandwidth rather than poor quality SD pictures.

Sky HD and BBC HD are superb. Indeed, I'd even say that some programmes are better than those on the BV4-50. Those plasma-based HD images are rather bland, far more smooth looking. The colours and sharpness of a top-notch HD image, on the BV7-40 MKIII, cannot be bettered (easily!).

Since watching the best HD content on my BV7-40, then seeing the same content on the BV4-50, I'm more impressed with the image on the BV7-40 MKIII. I'm not disappointed with the BV4-50 in comparison, it's just that the BV7-40 MKIII is a little sharper and colours brighter.

Goodness me a change of tune in such a short period of time.

• 01-22-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Goodness me a change of tune in such a short period of time.

Hey, I've not switched around, just more positive than before. Especially after seeing the picture for a few weeks, then comparing the same picture on other TVs. Upscaled SD DVDs are still average and football on SD isn't good (too pixelated to be comfortable), but what the MKIII does very well, it does exceptionally.

If you watch a well produced HD movie, through Sky HD, such as Devil Wears Prada or World Trade Center, it's almost flawless. Blacks are black, no darkness, no pixelisation, sharp image etc.

I wouldn't pay £8.8K for it though! As we've already established, many times.

• 01-22-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

thorne:
    Remind me how to access the service menu, pleawse.  And is there/will there ever be a sharpness adjustment for the mark ii?

This thread doesn't apply to the MKII. I wouldn't amend anything on your TV based on what is discussed here.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)