in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-13-2008 12:27 PM by Peter. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 1:20 PM

About MMCs and record decks

Hello,

My MMC2 has recently began to produce distorted sound. Am i left to believe that the stylus/cartridge is done? I tested the MMC2 with BG9500 and BG5000 and got the same results with both decks. If either the stylus or cartridge is gone, is the whole package gone for good or is there way replace the other "component" (for example at Soundsmith)?

About fine adjusting the record deck speed. Is there an easy way to do it without a strobe disc or similar extra equipment? I am a bit skeptic about my BG5000 running at the correct speed...

Thanks in advance.

Olli

• 11-12-2008 1:38 PM In reply to

Re: About MMCs and record decks

soundsmith will rebuild 1's and 2's (and sp's!) relative to their condition...

though i think you would prob be better off w/ one of their new ones...

check towards the bottom of the faq page under "user comments" just before the cartridge images section in the link below...

soundsmith

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-12-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

redfresnel:

About fine adjusting the record deck speed. Is there an easy way to do it without a strobe disc or similar extra equipment? I am a bit skeptic about my BG5000 running at the correct speed...

You can download a strobe disc on the internet. Done it a few times myself to check the speed on decks I was selling.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-13-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

Thanks for the answers!

Here are some links you can download the strobe disc in case someone else needs them too in the future:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroboscopic_disc.svg

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

• 11-13-2008 11:47 AM In reply to

Some of the older decks had a strobe built in. The two 'other make' Beogram 3000s both had strobes but so did the Beogram 1000, and the 1200 range, though you could only really check it without a record on the deck! The Beogram 4000 is the last I can think of and that one read from an illuminated scale on the sub-platter for both 33 and 45 speeds.
  • 11-13-2008 12:15 PM In reply to

It's a shame that not all the decks have the scale on the platter and a strobe. Especially the decks with belt systems should have it.
  • 11-13-2008 12:27 PM In reply to

I agree about the speed control - the Beogram 8000 had a speed control on it so that you could 'tune' the records to be the same as your piano should you wish to play along!! When working, the 8000 needed no strobe as it was completely accurate. Having seen some going backwards, maybe this is not always the case now! Laughing
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)