in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2008 1:33 PM by Alex. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2008 8:12 AM

Return of the Mac?

Hi:

Don't know why buying B&O and being interested in getting a Mac or synominous however, I am thinking of putting my PC to one side and getting hold of one. I am a bit of a tinkerer and therefore do not think I could be trusted with a new one - I would end up taking it apart and invalidating the warranty.

I am not a PC games player either so it does not have to have the world's best graphics card in it. Thus, what machine could I get away with in terms of spec and what would I have to pay new or preowned if applicable? Ideally I would like a machine with AV and composite inputs so I can plug my Xbox and stuff into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

• 01-16-2008 1:33 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Return of the Mac?

If you're a tinkerer, your best bet would probably be a G5 PowerMac (don't go for any of the lower-end ones, the high end ones are much more reliable/long lasting). Obviously you could always go for an older MacPro, but these will be much more expensive.

Personally though, I'd say your best bet is to get an Intel machine, particularly one of the new iMacs (which are absolutely brilliant btw). When I was a PC user, I used to swap bits of hardware out all the time, but now it's just not something I want to do. With Macs, I've found you tend to find yourself doing much more productive things than swapping out graphics/sound cards etc.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)