in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2008 12:45 PM by ®. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2008 7:49 AM

An awkward Avant issue involving new housemates

Hi:

This maybe a very paranoid question but I feel that if I provide a bit of a preamble you may understand:

I have recently moved into new shared accommodation and as my room is too small to house my Avant I offered to put it in the front room where it now has pride of place. The problem is that I work two jobs and very rarely see my housemates. I bumped into one in the kitchen this morning and asked how they found the new TV. He was naturally impressed but said he did not know how to turn it off (could not find the off switch) and so has been switching it off at the wall). I am naturally concerned that so doing may damage the TV or break it as I am unsure if it would have time to close the screen (electronic curtains) and rotate back to off positon.

Herein lies my problem - I do not want to come accross as uber anal new housemate by leaving a note about how to turn the TV off. To them I guess it is just a TV and therefore they must think there could be wrong with turning it off at the wall.

Thus firstly, is it likely that turning it off like this is damaging it? If not, no problem. If so:

How do I tackle this - I do not want to get on the wrong footing with these people - they are sound and I get on with them. However, equaly I do not want to have to repair my TV.I could really only leave them a note as I am not there often enough to bump into them.

Perhaps this is all a little too anal!

• 01-16-2008 7:52 AM In reply to

Re: An awkward Avant issue involving new housemates

Leave a note. I'm sure they would ask you how to turn it off, if you were there; nobody wants to mess with the power cord if there's an easier way.

Remember, most people have never seen one, let alone used one before, and these things aren't exactly the most obvious to figure out... 

-mika

• 01-16-2008 8:08 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

press the OFF button under the screen (right hand corner)

or

The standby button (top right hand button behind the clock)  

• 01-16-2008 8:14 AM In reply to

Is there an off button on the right hand corner - I never new that lol! New about standby and button behind clock. Although even when looking directly at button behind clock it is difficult to see that it is a button!
  • 01-16-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

...you get more bees w/ honey than vinegar

you have the perfect out -write a pleasant, light, jokey note that states even you took a while to figure out how to turn it "off."

would you rather hand them a funny note or a repair bill?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-16-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

True...

Does anyone know where you can get the dust covers for these from - I saw an Avant being sold on Ebay complete with B&O "jacket"

• 01-16-2008 12:20 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

That's a very good idea: try and cover the Avant and maybe you will not even need to write any notes Cool

PS I would ask any dealer.

• 01-16-2008 12:45 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Graham1982:

True...

Does anyone know where you can get the dust covers for these from - I saw an Avant being sold on Ebay complete with B&O "jacket"

You buy them from B&O dealers. I did.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)