in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-26-2008 10:39 AM by burantek. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-20-2007 1:15 PM

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

New Link-Eye from ML for MCL-System?

Hi Boys and Girls,
    we want to update our bathroom (new shower e.g.) - many years ago we installed an x-tra speaker kit (Master is a BC9300 in the mainroom). So now we have a white MCL-Linkeye which I want to change for a new ML-Link-eye (the silver round one) - is it possible without changing the other stuff (x-tra speakers-kit e.g.)?

Thanks for your help!

best regards,
    Adrian
  • 09-20-2007 1:21 PM In reply to

Re: New Link-Eye from ML for MCL-System?

There was a round silver IR eye made for MCL for a very short time - hen's teeth! I don't know if the two are the same eye but would not be surprised. The only thing that might be different is the timer and mute circuitary - I'll see if I can find out for you - but no promises of success!
  • 09-20-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

thanks Peter for doing that!
  • 09-20-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

I think the MCL round sensor that Peter is thinking of is the wall charger for the Beolink 7000. The standard round IR sensors and the rectangular MCL sensors are very different electrically, so I don't think you can modernise the Xtra speaker kit with a round IR.

The MCL transceiver has a microprocessor which determines which Infrared codes are fowarded to the MCL link.

This micro is what determines the option setting for the Xtra speaker kit, and it is not present in the newer ML round sensor.

With beolink passive and beolink active, the control micro is in the Black box itself - this also supervises the buttons on the round sensor.

The Beolink 7000 wall charger has  the same circuitry as the MCL transceiver, just in a different shape. If you can find one of these it will work, however as Peter says they are pretty rare items.

I believe a forum member has connected a new round sensor to the MCL bus, and the infrared receiver works for them. This is not really ideal though, as the timer and mute buttons are no longer available for that room. Also all B&O remote codes would be sent to the Beomaster with no filtering by the front end micro - this could lead to unpredictable operation of the central room.

Whew! Sorry for the long winded reply!

• 09-20-2007 4:34 PM In reply to

Rang my friendly MCL expert who agrees with cozza! It might work a bit but there is a good chance that it will be a lot worse than what you already  have!
  • 09-21-2007 3:07 AM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your replies. So I have two possibilities: Keep the system or buy an ML/MCL converter to do the job with the round eye?

Have a nice weekend, Adrian
  • 09-21-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

To change the bathroom sensor for the round type with full functionality would require a Beolink passive in the bathroom to run the existing passive speakers, and also a beolink converter to convert the BC9300 from MCL to masterlink. You'd have to change the cabling from MCL to ML as well - it would be a rather large investment for the sake of updating the sensor.

• 09-21-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

I think I should run down the idea and take the system as it is - thanks for your help!
  • 09-21-2007 11:16 AM In reply to

I have a combined ML and MCL system and it works very well. There are even a few advantages as the MCL eyes are two way and transmit data to my BL7000 to a degree, even though my master system is a one way Avant DVD and BC2.
  • 11-26-2008 10:39 AM In reply to

cozza:

I believe a forum member has connected a new round sensor to the MCL bus, and the infrared receiver works for them. This is not really ideal though, as the timer and mute buttons are no longer available for that room. Also all B&O remote codes would be sent to the Beomaster with no filtering by the front end micro - this could lead to unpredictable operation of the central room.

i am trying to do the inverse -use a mcl sensor on a beolink active. your last sentence intrigues me!

as the filtering is done at the beolink, my mcl sensor would simply play the role as an ir receiver (my exact intention -i do not need close up control). -and i was only intending to pin out 3/5 wires to a din: 5v/ground/ir data. hmmm...

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)