in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-24-2008 11:45 AM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2008 10:29 AM

Beomaster 5500 problem

Hi,

I have a problem with my beomaster 5500. It worked well until I relocated to London. In general the receiver works, but from time to time it doesn't react anymore. Neither when I use the front controls nor when I use the remote (tried both, the BEO4 and the MCP). The MCP gives me a "no contact" message. Until now this just happens, when the receiver is in standby. Whenever it was on and playing, I was always able to switch it off using either the remote or the front control.

What I have detected was a small screw with a ground cable which was not properly fixed to the buttom for the Beomaster (in the front). Fixed this one. But still I have those issues.

Usually it works again, when I unplug the power connector and plug it back in. Recently even this didn't work. Just the standby LED lighted, but it wasn't controlable. After waiting for about half a day, the Beomaster was in standby all the time I suddenly heard a "click". After the "click" the beomaster operated again and I was able to control everything. 

What is wrong? What is responsible for the "click" sound? A relais? Anything which can be repaired by myself (don't want to spent that much money on it)?

Thanks a lot for your help..

Ciao
    Markus

• 04-19-2008 10:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 5500 problem

I have personally experienced problems with older B&O kit getting "bumped" in transit and breaking solder joints/dislocating loose components etc which leads to issues.

Even though the item may be cosmetically perfect, its not to say the courier / removal person didn't drop it. It's the internals that get the shock, even when they are in their original boxes or wrapped to kingdom come.

I'd have it checked over by a B&O engineer. Where are you located?

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-24-2008 4:24 AM In reply to

Hi Lee,

thanks for your answer. I almost thought that these are just connection problems. Seems that there are a lot of cables and connectors inside. I just opened it beomaster - but as it seems to be very packed i didn't really want to unscrew and dismount anything. Do you think it's worth just dis- and reconnect all connectors?

Well, maybe a B&O engineer would be a great help. But as this problem is not really comprehensible don't know what to tell him. Currently the beomaster works fine for about 3 -4 days.

I am located in North London.

Ciao Markus

• 04-24-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Could be due to an unstable power supply for the processor. Probably down to aging capacitors. A repairshop will have the instruments to confirm.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)