in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-26-2007 1:52 PM by pinkert7. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2007 2:42 AM

• pinkert7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 4002 type 5503 platter noise, height and levelness.

This is my first post as a B&O owner as I received today a beautiful Beogram 4002/type 5503 record deck.   . I don't have an owners manual for it so I was apprehensive to even turn it on. Also I don't have the din to rca adapter I need to hook it up to my main system. However I gained the courage a few hours ago.After reading on some posts hear about the transport screws needing to be released and realizing that I might be able to hear something when I remembered that my old pioneer receiver had a din connector for a tapedeck input. So after hooking everything up I turned the power own and placed an lp on the platter. Well before I hit play I thought the record looked like it didn't have much clearance, like it was sitting low while on the platter. So I removed the record and noticed the platter itself is sitting below the surrounding housing anywhere from 1/16 to 1/8 below the housing as one side is lower than the other. I can press down lightly on one side and cause the other side to go up. The platters rubber risers that the lp sits on looks as though the record would be up enough even on the low side that it shouldn't touch or rub on the stationary part. So I decided to press the play button and there is some slight scraping noise as the platter spins. I though that it might be the record itself scraping on the edge but removed it to discover that the lp had no part in the scraping sound. Im not sure if i affected the height of the platter when I released the transport screws. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the platter to not sit level or the height being wrong. I hope someone can help me out as Im not sure what needs to be done here. I was going to remove the platter to see what might be the problem but do not want to do anything else until i get someone's feedback here plus not even sure how to remove the platter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this issue and what servicing maintanence can be down if any to this before I start using it, Lubrication etc. Thank you
  • 12-26-2007 3:35 AM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beogram 4002 type 5503 platter noise, height and levelness.

There is a three-axis adjustment to level the platter flush with the metal plate. The full service manual is on the site for Silver and Gold members, here's a peek:

You will need to remove the cartridge before you attempt this to avoid any damage.

To remove the top parts, first gently pull the rear sides of the wood surround out a little bit and then move the entire C-shaped wooden surround towards you about an inch. Then you can slide the metal plate underneath the arm, above the control panel to the right a half-inch. It will then lift out. You can proceed to remove the main metal piece surrounding the platter by pulling the front of it up a bit until it comes free. The platter itself lifts straight off, keep in mind you will lose belt the connection to the motor as a part of this process as it slips off.

As you may imagine you will have to replace both the metal plate as well as the platter itself after each height adjustment to gauge if the platter is flush...

• 12-26-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

Just sent you a PM with the same diagram!! Laughing
  • 12-26-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

• pinkert7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your help and quick response time this should be helpful.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)