in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-18-2007 10:22 PM by Chrisreunion. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2007 7:34 PM

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Silly question about powerlink

Hi all :)

I had a strange idea, and I wish to ask You about it, before I try it ;)

So, what will happen if I connect a Beocenter2300 (two way) with an MX5500 (two way) directly by two powerlink cables?

IMHO nothing, but what do You think?

Thanks,

AT
  • 12-17-2007 1:55 AM In reply to

Re: Silly question about powerlink

Powerlink on both these will be an output - so nothing. A 7 pin DIN with connect them (Audio Aux).
  • 12-17-2007 4:29 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Thank You Peter for the answer :)

Another question: What adapter do I need to "link" them? Of course with the Aux panel I can connect them with a 5 PIN DIN (if I know well), but what advantage can I get if I connect them with a powerlink system?

Sorry for the silly question, I was looked about powerlink in the manuals, but I didn't found anything :(

Thanks,

AT
  • 12-17-2007 6:35 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

PowerLink won't do anything. It's like connecting both your taps together, they'll just try and spew water (in this case, signals) towards each other. PowerLink is for connecting a TV or HiFi to a pair of speakers, not to other components.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-17-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

AT:
    Thank You Peter for the answer :)

Of course with the Aux panel I can connect them with a 5 PIN DIN (if I know well)

You would need a 7 PIN DIN (Datalink) Cable, as this would allow the two units to communicate with each other as well as send sound.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-17-2007 10:47 AM In reply to

Sorry guys, but this is not completely true..

I have my BeoPort Powerlink output connected to the Powerlink out on my BV3, and since the powerlink signal is looped, it goes straight to the BeoLabs that are connected to the BV3! So I can turn on the front speakers without Masterlink cable or direct connection to the BeoLabs from BeoPort. This is useful for me as BeoPort & BV3 are in the same room, but I use the Masterlink cable for another link room as I didn't want to go through the cable splitter/junction box thing.

So if you have a set of BeoLabs on your TV or audio system, connecting another TV or audio system to a free Powerlink output will turn on the speakers.

Another thing I found out last week: I bought a B&W subwoofer to connect to my BV3, and used a simple phono to powerlink adapter like the one used for BeoLab 3, but the other way round, and it works perfectly, both through the subwoofer output (for proper 5.1 sound), or any other Powerlink output (to extend the bass range from main speakers in an audio setup) !

It's also a quick & cheap way to extend your system to other rooms where you only need mono sound from a BeoLab with phono input or non B&O active speakers.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-17-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I see how that would work, but that won't do anything for the original poster. Ultimately connecting them via Datalink makes much, MUCH more sense.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-17-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Chris, I find this very interesting but could you clarify something for me.
    What if your Beoport and your BV3 both send a signal to your Beolabs at the same time? Could this be damaging?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-18-2007 2:10 PM In reply to

Well actually, when you select a video and an audio source at the same time, the sound is just mixed, that 's all, no short-circuits or damage.

Going back to the original question, yes indeed, it would be much better to use a datalink cable to connect a BC2300 to an MX! I had this setup when I started with B&O, with a BeoLink 5000, you were really in control and had the pleasure of seeing things like "FM 104.2", or "CD 10" on your remote control..not to mention timer programming on the remote itself: try to do that with a Beo5, you'll see what I mean...No - thumbs down

• 12-18-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Ha!Laughing

That means I can run a powerlink from my Beoport in the kitchen to my Pentas in the lounge and listen to Nmusic or Nradio in the lounge without having to buy a Beoport compatible audiomaster.
    If I blow everything up, how do I get to Reunion Island?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-18-2007 10:22 PM In reply to

Hi Andy, despite what B&O tell you, you don't need an audio master to use BeoPort...I never had any BeoSound !

My BeoPort is connected to a BV3 and works perfectly well. You can always connect it to a TV via Masterlink, and to your Pentas in another room by Powerlink and even control everything with a loooong IR cable. The advantage of having no audio master is also that when you press CD on Beo4, it starts the PC CD. The non-audio master setup works with BeoPort in option 0 or 2 when you have older BeoVisions like mine, I guess it should work in any option with the newer TVs.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)