in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-25-2007 12:10 AM by SWISS_2. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2007 1:05 PM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

What is virtual memory

On one of our PC's there is a message that keeps coming up. It warns the the virtual memory space is low. What does this mean and how do I rectify it?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-24-2007 1:13 PM In reply to

Re: What is virtual memory

Google virtual memory and lots of answers will turn up. Try here for starters.
  • 12-24-2007 1:15 PM In reply to

And to fix it, look here!
  • 12-24-2007 1:39 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks Peter, for two very useful links.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-24-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Dear Craig,

The Windows works like this:

There is a base memory installed phisically in Your computer, it used to be 128/256/512/1GB/2GB/4GB and so on.

But, sometimes Windows needs more memory. Always more memory. And more memory. And so on, and on, and on ;)

Therefore, they've "invented" the "virtual memory", which is nothing else but a file on the Hard Disk, which can be used as an "external" memory. In this case Windows can have "any memory" up to the Hard Disk free capacity.

First it sounds good, but HD is much slower then the real memory, so it will dramatically reduce the performance.

So, first, You need to figure out, why Windows asks for more memory:

- If You use a large program, or large pictures/movies, than You must add some more phisical memory to Your configuration
    - If not, than maybe Windows is incorrectly configured.

You can check it like this:

You can check "System properties" which can be found by right clicking on the "System icon" on the bottom of the list. Choose the "Advanced" tab, and in the "performance" section press "Settings".

There You need to check the "Advanced" tab again, and in the "Virtual Memory" section press "Change"

So, here is the "Virtual memory" section.

Check the "System managed size" option, and check if there is enough free space on the HD to handle the recommended size - I think, the problem is here:

- there will be the "No paging file" option checked,
    - or the "Custom size" option allocates to small size.

In the first case, allow to use it, in the second case, increase the size - and that's all :)

If there will be any other case, You need to check the system by an IT, because even a virus can take this kind of problems.

I hope it can solve the problem :)

AT
  • 12-24-2007 4:05 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well the problem only happens when one program/game is used. That is anarchy online, some sort of online role playing game.Confused Been meaning to upgrade the size of the RAM for a while now though. Looks as though the boys are going to have to buy some if they want to carry on playing.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

• 12-24-2007 4:43 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Good point ;)
  • 12-24-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You don't want to let it run 'without enough RAM' for too long. It absolutely thrashes the hard drive and they do have a tendency of failing! Our family PC is gobbling up almost all of it's 512 mb of RAM, and as a result, the hard drive is as good as dead. Failing motherboard etc... means it's probably time for a replacement...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-25-2007 12:10 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

My Photos, My Videos, My Music, Media Centre, Olde File space, " Clutter " + Gaming munchkins = Low Memory episodes. Good excuse to move most of this to an inexpensive external hard drive, and off the main PC.

As Alex pointed out above,  one can damage a PC if the problem isn't addressed. You can usually add more memory ( a relatively inexpensive chip ) if you're careful. You might also look in My Computer and run a Defragmentation ( clean-up ). Then reboot the machine and see if things have improved a bit.

There is a program I use call System Mechanic Professional 7, by IOLO which can be downloaded at cost ( 45 Euros +- ). This will allow you to clean-up your system, including memory, daily without much effort. It will alert you when your memory is low, by what percentage, and repair it on the spot.

Take a look in your machine ( Start, -> Control Panel, -> System, -> General ) and see what your memory use is and what you can add on. 512 might,  or might not be the maximum recognized by your machine.

But do check and see BEFORE the kids get on again.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)