in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-31-2008 10:23 PM by yyin. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2008 2:29 PM

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Beogram CD X 1986 vintage: diagnostic questions

I just bought a 1986 Beogram CD X on eBay. I've only taken delivery of it for one week and I've noticed three problems. Can someone tell me if they were pre-existing problems that the Seller did say anything about or are they recent problems? One: when the machine is first operated the eject function works as it should, but when the player has been on for a short time (say, 30+ minutes) the eject button stops working. Two: the CD goes ramdomly into repeat mode even when the repeat function has not been selected. Three: the CD plays normally for the first hour or so, then starts fast forwarding on its own. I am a former owner of a Beosound 2500 system and has only just returned to B&O. Did I make a mistake with the purchase? Thanks for your interest and for helping.  -- YFYin

• 07-13-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD X 1986 vintage: diagnostic questions

Unusual symptoms. However they do seem to be likely to be temperature related so I would suggest dry solder joints ( a common CDX failing!) could be the problem.
  • 07-13-2008 2:55 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

First of all, thank you for replying so quickly. If you mean solder joints on the main electronic board, then the repair will likely cost more than what I paid for the unit. Is there anything I can do without sending the unit out? Thanks.

YF Yin

Beogram CD X, Model 5123

• 07-13-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

By the way, here's what the Seller claimed on his eBay listing, and I quote:

Here's a SIGNIFICANTLY UPGRADED BANG & OLUFSEN CDX AUDIOPHILE CD PLAYER!!

Touch sensitive front panel gives trouble-free control of all functions, lid opens and closes freely and tracking of CDs is superb.

These units are WORLD CLASS construction with the legendary Philips CDM-1 Optical pickup unit for stunning clarity and solid, lifelike reproduction over the entire audio spectrum.

This unit has been UPGRADED with HIGH QUALITY CAPACITORS in both the SIGNAL PATH and the POWER SUPPLY. UNIT has been lubricated, cleaned, and adjusted according to FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS per the Original Service Literature. This CDX Player will give you YEARS of Listening Pleasure.

The Cabinet and Panels are in NEAR MINT condition and all contacts, connectors and switches have been CLEANED with a space-age conductive liquid to ensure total integrity of the signal path! With these improvements, the sound you get is: AWESOME - CLEAN, CLEAR, CRISP and FREE of LISTENING FATIGUE.

Hook this unit up to your system and HEAR THE BANG & OLUFSEN DIFFERENCE!!

AFTER THE AUCTION IS COMPLETED, this unit will be packed SECURELY to ensure its safe transit.

(YF Yin: in subsequent reading of the ad, it now sounds to me as though the Seller is someone who buys old B&O and resell them after working on them.)

• 07-13-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If I were you I would be contacting the seller.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-13-2008 4:21 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Craig,

You're right and I've contacted the seller. Naturally, he's not in a hurry to address my questions. Sad

YF Yin

• 07-13-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

I like the CDX but it is a 14 bit machine. Not sure I would call it audiophile! I do use one myself though! Agree about contacting the seller.
  • 07-13-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

I was mainly drawn to the clean design and the touch sensitive operations.

YF Yin

• 07-13-2008 4:52 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Hi and welcome to Beoworld !

I agree that it sounds like bad solders.
    Actually a very common fault that can cause the strangest symptoms.
    This is probably not going to be an expensive repair, the cheapest I can imagine to a Beogram CD X, really.
    The problem could be to find one willing to accept the repair.
    I'm in Denmark and I will be happy to take a look at it.

The following is not aimed specifically at you, it was just an opportunity among many:

"...then the repair will likely cost more than what I paid for the unit..."
    Whenever I hear this sentence, I can't stop thinking: YES, exactly !

- Buy B&O cheap and expect to pay for some repairs and accept this or
    - Buy B&O recently serviced, it will be more expensive but expect it to work and hold the seller to it if it doesn't.

If the seller didn't state that he gives no warranty, he can be forced to take it back but if it was cheap I don't think that would be the best solution for you if you want a Beogram CD X.
    I agree with the others, it's a wonderful machine, however goofy to repair.

Martin

• 07-13-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

Sounds like this CDX was advertised as having been serviced. Interesting to see if it has new capacitors! There is actually a factory authorised fix for this machine involving the solder joints between boards.

By the way, it was actually made in Belgium at the Philips factory and is a reboxed Philips CD104 - which was the best machine of its time. 

• 07-13-2008 5:29 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Martin and Peter,

Thanks to your replies and comments; I am feeling slightly better about my problems already. As I am in the U.S.A. it's not feasible to send my machine to Martin in Denmark to take a look at it. I will give the seller a chance to respond to my questions. I now believe he serviced the machine himself recently, judging from the way it was advertised. It wasn't exactly a bargain because I was led to believe I would get years of use out of this machine. I will update you guys in a week or so about my situation.

YF Yin

• 07-13-2008 9:56 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Yf Yin, did you happen to buy it from a seller named Panther?  He often fixes up and re-sells the older B&O cd players.  I haven't heard of him trying to scam people though.  I'd give him some time to respond to your problems.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 07-14-2008 4:57 AM In reply to

If the CDX is well packed shipping it to Denmark it really is not the problem. We are not talking Canada here!

I got my CDX in february 2008 and I was prepaired to go to Dillen straight after I bought it as it had typically left hinge broken and some electronic problems to be looked at.

Once Medogsfat fixed the hinge everything else went quick and to this day it's been used nearly every day. It's plugged into my BM8000 which I got along with the CDX and it's sounding pretty good+ working very stable. It even plays CDR's.

I agree that you should work this out with the seller first. Is it worth doing a repair? Yes but mostly in the long run.

• 07-14-2008 8:34 AM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Austin, yes I bought it from a seller named Panther. He has 100% feedback rating so I trusted the ad. He has replied to my email and says he will look into my problems with the CDX.

YF Yin

• 07-14-2008 8:37 AM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

I am glad to know that shipping to Denmark is easier than ever. I will keep this option in mind because I am interested in other B&O equipment and looking to buy a couple more items.
  • 08-31-2008 10:23 PM In reply to

• yyin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2008
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

OK, I just want to close the loop on this one.....the CDX player is now fixed and operating properly. The seller was very honorable and very agreeable about fixing all the problems. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Enjoy your B&Os.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)