in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2007 12:58 PM by Craig. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2007 5:59 AM

Broken tuner?

Hi:

This may well be paranoia predicated by the fact that my uncle explicitly told me not to buy an oldish avant as it would be a fortune to repair (he is a TV engineer). Anyway, last night I was watching TV (I am using an amplified indoor ariel ehilst waiting for cable to be installed). No picture is recognisable without the 9v mains adaptor plugged in.

I turned the TV off last night and went to bed (I cannot remember if I unplugged it or not). This morning I switched it and the ariel on and the picture is not recognisable - black and white fuzz - you can see a picture is there and also sound but it is as if the ariel is not plugged in. As I had to rush to work I did not have any time to test what was wrong - namely had the TV lost its presets, was the ariel faulty.

Does this sound symptomatic of a failing tuner or is it likely to be the ariel or the fact the TV has randomly lost its presets?

Thanks

Graham

• 12-03-2007 8:30 AM In reply to

Re: Broken tuner?

Sounds like the aerial to me! Why don't you have an external one? Bit like having a Ferrari and using remould tyres!
  • 12-03-2007 8:48 AM In reply to

I know, I know - cable is being installed next monday. There is no roof ariel in my flat (although I have not looked properly). I have already had grief from my landlord - he came in and saw my TV and Overture which everyone on here would know are not that expensive (Ebay purchases) - ie I did not pay full retail price for them and he said something sarcastic like "Oh I shall have to put your rent up" thus if I ask him to install an ariel it might draw attention to their otherwise inconspicuous design traits - I mean they look so much like standard TVs and radios don't they?
  • 12-03-2007 12:58 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Might be stating the obvious here but, have you checked the 9V battery in the aerial. Had the same sort of aerial some years ago. Seem to remember that if you left in on all Night it would completely drain the battery.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)