in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-04-2007 2:53 PM by Niveau. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2007 7:05 AM

Prioritization

Living with B&O there is alway one next thing to replace on the action list....

I have three such things and find it difficult to choose this time... Maybe you could help me out...

I can:

1) Update my BV7-40 MKII to MKIII. (Or wait until the MKIIII with updated HD drive hits the market) I'm viewing DVD in 3.5 meters distance.

2) I can update my BL6000 which fires into the back of my sofa (!!!) to the BL3 on stands, thereby hopefully getting better surround.

3) I can change my MX 4002 in the bedroom to BC23. Viewing distance 3.5 meters...

4) And maybe it's actually something totally different from B&O to replenish the collection....  Embarrassed

Help me out fellow addictives...

The Dane

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 12-02-2007 7:14 AM In reply to

Re: Prioritization

Interesting!

1. Looking at the recent BV7 Mk3 thread, would seem like quite a lot of money for little benefit.

2. Or buy the wall mounts for the BL6000s and raise them up a bit.

3. Why? The MX has a much better picture!

4. Why not get a vintage system to add interest somewhere? Have a look at the Beolab 5000 system as seen on Frede's wonderful site. I wouldn't get the Beovox 5000s personally as they are rather large but some nice vintage speakers would be cheap to find. marry them up with a really good old record player - the obvious choice being a Thorens TD124 Mk2 - and you will have a system capable of showing most modern systems the way home. And a talking point. Unlikely to lose any money either!

• 12-02-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

I agree with Peter on this one. I have decided that I am going fit the rest of my home with (recent) vintage B&O because I often prefer 80s and 90s stuff to modern day equipment. That would be a good choice for you too. How about some telephones? The BeoCom 2 is a great styled phone that deserves a place in anyone's home. I would also suggest the option of banking the money until something comes along that you fall in love with. Don't spend just for the sake of it.

All the best,

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-02-2007 7:53 AM In reply to

No argument here. Agree with Peter and Simon. I´m glad I´ve kept my 80´s and 90´s equipment. I hope future developments from B&O will bring back the spirit of that era.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-02-2007 9:09 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Or, depending on your surround sound setup, you could look at upgrading the front speakers to BeoLab 9s or 5s (unless you have them already).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-02-2007 4:03 PM In reply to

Alex,

Got the BL9's already. (And I love them). Thanks for all the good feedback I got so far. Vintage could be an interesting thought.... However with my current configuration I cant really add more new items, but will have to replace instead. If not I'll have to buy a larger house instead (May be an idea though..)

Does anybody have experience with the valueadd from changing he BL6000 to BL3's in a surround setup..

The Dane 

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 12-02-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

Hello The Dane. 

After almost 5 years using BL6000s as rears in my surround setup, I've changed them for BL3s.

The improvement has been really HUGE, in both: with music in "speaker4" double stereo and with films in "speaker5" 5.1 surround.

Some reasons for that:

position: I was always forced to lift up the BL6000s because some of the speakers were blocked by the sofa, now with BL3s and their floor stands, all the cones are in the perfect height and the sound is not firing the sofa.

quality: BL3s are far better overall speakers than BL6000s.

Uniformity: in your case with BL9s at front, BL3s are the perfect match for a full ALT surround set.

Regards. 

Santiago

• 12-02-2007 6:23 PM In reply to

Dear 'The Dane':

In terms of upgrade and replacement, my vote is to replace BL 6000 with a pair of BL 3s.  My set up has the BL 9 front & BL 3 rear.  The rear speakers get very little data but in 5.1 is very nice experience.  I do not listen to quadraphonic stereo.  

Enjoy,

Dario

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 12-03-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I agree with others, BeoLab 3s as rears would compliment BeoLab 9s as fronts much better than 6000s!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-04-2007 2:53 PM In reply to

Santiago, Dario and Alex,

Thanks for all the feedback. And so it will be... I'll swap my BL6000 to BL3's for Christmas...

Anybody's looking for a pair of BL6000...

The Dane

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)