in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-24-2007 12:24 PM by Puncher. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2007 11:02 AM

Beosound 3

Thinking of Christmas and what I might buy for friends and relations. Looking at the B&O range, the BS3 seems to be the most obvious good gift. Not ridiculously expensive, but good looking and sounding with some of the wow factor. I have always ruled it out for myself as you cannot listen to the cricket on it but what do owners think about it? Would my godson like one? Think 15 years old! Very industrious - likes gardening - previous well received presents have included a collection of apple trees and an air rifle (they have a rabbit problem!)
  • 11-24-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beosound 3

Peter:
    Thinking of Christmas and what I might buy for friends and relations. Looking at the B&O range, the BS3 seems to be the most obvious good gift. Not ridiculously expensive, but good looking and sounding with some of the wow factor. I have always ruled it out for myself as you cannot listen to the cricket on it but what do owners think about it? Would my godson like one? Think 15 years old! Very industrious - likes gardening - previous well received presents have included a collection of apple trees and an air rifle (they have a rabbit problem!)

Tricky - the BS3 is quite poor at bearing fruit and is even worse at firing projectiles (assuming it is working correctly).

He could however use it to play classical music to the trees to encourage growth while sometimes playing "Bright Eyes" to encourage the rabbits into the killing zone.

Quite a thoughtful gift it would seemBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-24-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Puncher:

Tricky - the BS3 is quite poor at bearing fruit and is even worse at firing projectiles (assuming it is working correctly).

He could however use it to play classical music to the trees to encourage growth while sometimes playing "Bright Eyes" to encourage the rabbits into the killing zone.

Quite a thoughtful gift it would seemBig Smile

Agree with Puncher -- the BS 3's aerial isn't long enough or sharp enough to serve as an offensive weapon.  However, playing the right kind of music might drive the rabbits away -- as would a [Beo-]hound from the RSPCA?  But then, what do I know?  It is so late here that I misread Peter's "godson" as "grandson" which left me scratching my head.

• 11-24-2007 11:35 AM In reply to

I suppose I added too much detail!! Any positive thoughts or shall I look elsewhere for a present. What would you have really liked when you were 15? I always got odd presents!! I seem to remember getting an antique stuffed red squirrel at around this time - still have it!
  • 11-24-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

Hi Peter,

My frank and honest response to this is that a BeoSound 3 might not seem expensive in the B&O realm among some adults, but I think it is far too expensive an item to buy for a 15 year old boy. You have to consider the message that you are sending along with it; year after year his expectations may become higher and more expecting/demanding having had such a prestigious gift so early on. Its not about the gift, its more about the act of giving, especially at Christmas. I am sure the best present is for him to know how much you love him and will always be there for him. I would never consider such a gift. How about taking him out for a meal somewhere nice and quiet where the two of you can have a chat and catch up? I am sure he'd get a lot of pleasure filling you in on his daily pursuits and telling you about all the girls he fancies!

All the best,

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-24-2007 11:41 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Is he a real music fan? - if so how about a decent set of headphones. Real quality headphones are much less expensive than real quality "full" Hifi, they can last for years and they'll "train his brain" to not settle for any old rubbishBig Smile

His parents may also really appreciate them if he plays the same music as mineWink

p.s. Definitely keep away from stuffed SquirrelsLaughing

• 11-24-2007 11:44 AM In reply to

A fair response! However I model myself on being an eccentric uncle figure who tends to buy presents that he would not otherwise expect! They are not all expensive, though some are but are usually something his parents would not buy. Not sure about the meal bit - I am sure he would rather be chasing the girls!
  • 11-24-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter, I honestly don't know if a 15 year old can appreciate a BS3. If you want to offer him a music-player, why don't you consider an iPod, if he does not already have one.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-24-2007 12:21 PM In reply to

Got him a nano a while back. I think you are probably all right though! Not sure if Alex would agree though!Laughing
  • 11-24-2007 12:23 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Got him a nano a while back. I think you are probably all right though! Not sure if Alex would agree though!Laughing

he sure would not, but is he "normal"? Wink 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-24-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:

A8's for his Nano???

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)