in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-22-2007 5:05 AM by dilznik. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-17-2007 10:41 AM

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

Have any UK beoworlders purchased an iphone?

Hi,

I know this is not B&O related but i was looking at an iphone today and i was impressed.

I respect the views of the people on this forum and would appreciate any comments from owners.

I don't even mind the 18 month contract but not sure what happens after 18 months, 2 stories from 2 different stores today.

Any views if buying an unlocked one is sensible?

Cheers, Jumbo  

• 11-17-2007 12:36 PM In reply to

Re: Have any UK beoworlders purchased an iphone?

... you're asking us, in a B&O community, if we'd rather have an iPhone rather than Serenata? LOL 
  • 11-17-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

I thought about one. Just not that keen on the locked contract! I was waiting to see what happens first as I have a suspicion that it will drop in price as well! Not sure about the unlocked versions from France as I heard that iTunes disables them if you synchronise them. Probably Apple propaganda! Having played with the Serenata, I think it is a superb music player but an average phone! Very tactile but just not for me. Also had a Serene for a while which I was disappointed by. Again very tactile and a very nice size but poor camera - I would have just not bothered! - and not versatile enough. I might get the iPhone when I give up my Blackberry!
  • 11-17-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Jumbo:

Hi,

I know this is not B&O related but i was looking at an iphone today and i was impressed.

I respect the views of the people on this forum and would appreciate any comments from owners.

I don't even mind the 18 month contract but not sure what happens after 18 months, 2 stories from 2 different stores today.

Any views if buying an unlocked one is sensible?

Cheers, Jumbo  

Firstly, at the moment there is no effective way of unlocking this phone. Isnt it BIG- as in tall?? and no user replaceable battery a BIG nono

• 11-17-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I don't mind the locked in contract, but it's so expensive overall for someone my age! Can't afford it sadly. I'd love one otherwise...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-17-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

If it was available here in Luxembourg, I would seriously think about it. But over here, it is forbidden to sell a sim-locked phone, which means that you must have the possibility to purchase the phone without a contract also. Wait and see. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-17-2007 4:58 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I you search for a while you can easily find a adress where they can unlock your Iphone. You can already buy unlocked Iphones from ebay etc Smile

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 11-17-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

I bought one on release day last week at Regent Street. I am as much an Apple fan as a B&O fan and I couldn't resist being there for the launch.

A week later and the hype has died down but my enthusiasm for the iPhone hasn't. It's a stunning device. The user interface is a joy to use. The features are more then adequate, despite some of the naysayers, and I can't stop fiddling around with it.

Today I downloaded a demo of a program called 'Remote Buddy' which turns the iPhone into a remote for iTunes and I walked round the house flicking through my iTunes library on my phone listening to music on all my Airport Express-enabled B&O systems.

Its main appeal for me is having everything in one device. Being able to surf the web properly on something you slip in your pocket is amazing and the video and ipod functionality is wonderful.

Should you get an unlocked one? Well, it's certainly an option if you don't want to leave your current provider. I decided against a unlocked one because I didn't fancy the 'cat and mouse' game of having to wait for firmware unlocks. 

Apple are releasing a Software Dev Kit for the iPhone in February which will mean some amazing apps will come out that don't require you to hack the phone and I'm happy to wait for that to happen. 

• 11-17-2007 7:07 PM In reply to

I bought two on launch day. One for myself and one as a gift.

I am in love with the device even after doing the maths that it is going to cost me £1400 over the next 18 months(£269 for the handset, £55 a month for 18 months and £135 for insurance for 18 months)!

Although missing a few things (3G and GPS are the two things that I would really like to see) it is but a very long way the best handset I have ever used. The battery life is a tad short but I have been using it hard for the past week (200MB of EDGE and 6 hours of calls).

I am using a piece of software called signal to control iTunes on my Cube whilst streaming the music to my Airport Expresses. It is a very elegant and simple solution and works perfectly. Highly recommended. 

Overall a beautifully engineering device with an amazing operating system.

Nicholas 

• 11-18-2007 6:37 AM In reply to

I am with Peter on this.. they will come down in price after christmas so I will hang fire.. but I was sooooooooooooo tempted to buy one last weekend!! other half glared at me for 5 whole minutes!

If only the iphone was a wee but smaller.  

• 11-18-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

I am weakening...!!
  • 11-18-2007 12:16 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Go on Peter! Buy one!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-18-2007 12:29 PM In reply to

To be honest, it is the controlling iTunes that is attractive as much as anything. If I get one, can I use it to control my link rooms somehow with the ability to browse through the iTunes library. An idiot's guide to how this might work would be useful - aim it low!! Laughing
  • 11-18-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Not seen one in the flesh, yet. Although it is the same problem as the Serene and Serenata for me. There is just no point in me having an expensive phone. As it spends most of the time in my pocket next to loose change, keys and whatever tools and parts I have  at the time for work. My phone is around 18 Months old, and lok at the condition of it.

My Phone

May I just point out I do not treat my B&O like this. If I did I would expect to be dragged from my house and shot.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-18-2007 1:15 PM In reply to

• stax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Richmond, Surrey, UK
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Yes, got one. It is very impressive despite the lack of 3G. Especially recommended if you have EyeTV.

stax 

• 11-18-2007 4:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

Not seen one in the flesh, yet. Although it is the same problem as the Serene and Serenata for me. There is just no point in me having an expensive phone. As it spends most of the time in my pocket next to loose change, keys and whatever tools and parts I have  at the time for work. My phone is around 18 Months old, and lok at the condition of it.

My Phone

May I just point out I do not treat my B&O like this. If I did I would expect to be dragged from my house and shot.

CraigSmile

Ouch! In all fairness though, every Nokia I and my family have owned have ended up in a similar condition (although not quite as extreme). My Samsung on the other hand is incredibly durable and I've heard the same about the iPhone, surprisingly durable and scratch-proof.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-19-2007 2:30 AM In reply to

It is certainly a nice "must have" type of phone, however for me without 3G it is not a phone I will purchase, price aside...

Regards Keith....

• 11-19-2007 3:25 AM In reply to

I have got one as well. I has been really impressed, it is a fantastic phone. Really smart and easy to use.

I thought lack of 3G would be a problem. but web pages and emails load ok on edge.

I was on O2 before and I was happy with them, so I did not need to unlock the phone.

Highly recommended,

p. 

• 11-19-2007 4:17 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

As always, in these circumstances, any discussion is pretty much academic! Most blokes are gadget freaks (a much larger than normal percentage here on Beoworld!) and spouting trivia such as facts/costs etc isn't going to deter anyone from getting whatever has plucked at their heartstrings most recently (be it iPhone, iTouch, Serenata, Serene, Beo5).

It can be amusing to hear how far some of the justifications/legitimisations for getting (whatever it is) can go. (see most Serene postsWink)

If you feel that you life is somewhat missing since it's arrival then get one - if you haven't yet licked the windows of an O2 or Carphonewarehouse store then you can probably live a full and satisfying life without oneBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-19-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

MaajaML:
    ... you're asking us, in a B&O community, if we'd rather have an iPhone rather than Serenata? LOL n00b.

Other than the Serenata being butt ugly and hideously overpriced for something which, in the end, is a glorified portable speaker?

Besides, the responses from the other appear to show that, indeed, people would rather have an iPhone. 

Craig:

My Phone

So what if you do?  It's your stuff and it should be used and abused.  I know a guy who buys cars that he never drives.  He just leaves them in his garage to look at until he sells it for the next car.  Obviously, this is also his prerogative but it's sort of silly to buy stuff that you're afraid to touch and use.  

• 11-19-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

dilznik:

MaajaML:
    ... you're asking us, in a B&O community, if we'd rather have an iPhone rather than Serenata? LOL n00b.

Other than the Serenata being butt ugly and hideously overpriced for something which, in the end, is a glorified portable speaker?

Besides, the responses from the other appear to show that, indeed, people would rather have an iPhone. 

Craig:

My Phone

So what if you do?  It's your stuff and it should be used and abused.  I know a guy who buys cars that he never drives.  He just leaves them in his garage to look at until he sells it for the next car.  Obviously, this is also his prerogative but it's sort of silly to buy stuff that you're afraid to touch and use.  

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and I know that some of us would not entertain buying anything but B&O. Others will be happy to mix and match and of course the Mac fanatics will buy anything Apple! They are all boys' toys to an extent so an argument can be made for either! Luckily I am busy today as nearly went to the O2 showroom!!Laughing

• 11-19-2007 10:47 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:

Luckily I am busy today as nearly went to the O2 showroom!!Laughing

Please try and refrain from licking the windowsLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-19-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

Peter:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and I know that some of us would not entertain buying anything but B&O. Others will be happy to mix and match and of course the Mac fanatics will buy anything Apple! They are all boys' toys to an extent so an argument can be made for either! Luckily I am busy today as nearly went to the O2 showroom!!Laughing

Yeah, I just wanted to get a jab in on that guy (for the noob comment on a civilized forum... this isn't the World of Warcraft forums) and the Serenata in one go =)  If I could've mentioned how I think the Serene looks exactly like a 10 year old travel alarm I have, I would've had a trifecta. =)

And now it's back to work to dream about an iPhone with the B&O speaker and amp built in... *drool*... 

• 11-19-2007 1:15 PM In reply to

True, but retaliating probably doesn't help!! Smile
  • 11-19-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

Hi Guys ,Thanks for your comments. O2 confirmed today that although it states an 18 month contract, when this peroid ends you still have to subscribe to a special iphone contract if you still wish to use the iphone.

This sounded like industry speak for we will charge what ever we can get away with after 18 months, dependent on how many have sold.

This alone put me off  so i'll wait until the fog clears.

Thanks once again.

Jumbo

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >