in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2007 8:23 PM by Dave. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2007 7:53 PM

Audio set-up

Hi,

I am about to buy a Beosound 3200 with a pair of Beolab 8000 to install in the house.  In listening to the 8000's, which were superb, I thought they were lacking in bass.  Does anyone have experience adding a Beolab 2 sub-woofer to this configuration?  Is it an overkill?  How does the Beosound handle it?  I am new to this, your help is approciated.

PL 

• 11-19-2007 8:45 PM In reply to

Re: Audio set-up

Welcome to the site. 

Adding a BL 2 is going to improve the sound of the BL 8000, specially the latest generation.  If you are into bass, the BL 2 is going to be a very satisfying addition.  The bass of BL 8000 is good to a point.  Once you get below 60 hz, the speakers do not sound as good.  

Bottom line: The speaker will sound better in the mids and highs.  The lower bass frequency will be left to the BL 2.

Please note, some members consider the BL 2 to be a little 'slow.'  As always, ask the dealer to bring a pair to your house and audition them there.  

Like real estate, sub placement is very important.  You may have to play with the positioning of the BL 2 until you get the proper bass response you are after.  It helps that on the back it has setting for corner, wall, and free standing.  

Let us know how it turns out.   

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 11-19-2007 9:18 PM In reply to

I have the 8000's and would like to add the Beolab 2 someday, but I was wondering- don't they have crossover settings for the beolab 1's and 6000's? Have they updated that for 8000's, 3's, and 9's?
    Steve
  • 11-19-2007 11:49 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

lavep21;

You are correct: The BL 8000, although a beautiful sculptural design, suggests a little weakness in bass at lower levels.

I tried or " auditioned " the BL 8000 and 6000 when I purchased my BS3200 years ago. I also tried the BL 2 in combination with the above, and could not get the sound, or the look that I wanted. The BL 8000 seemed to be towering and playing over our heads when sitting in the Living Room. Back they all went.

I found what I wanted using a pair of BL 4000, for sound and appearance. The speakers sit at ear level, canted back, and the bass tone is quite good. I experimented with the B&O metal stands, black speaker stands, and just standing alone. I settled on the black speaker stands, placed on either side of a Plasma screen, with the BS 3200 to one side.

Considering the various costs, this was a savings, Nonetheless, my dealer was very helpful, and no doubt relieved at the final choice being decided on. I second the comment mentioned above regarding working with your store in trying out products first, as this is a major,  and hopefully rewarding expense for you to make.

Try,  before you buy.

• 11-20-2007 3:01 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

I´m one of the members who thinks that the BL 2 are a bit slow, but the bass reproduction is high quality thoug...

I now own a BL 2 because i didn't like that the B&W PV1 500watt ICE Power was made of cheap plastic! And when i had the two woofers at home for testing the final decision fell on the BL 2, because the B&W PV1 wasn't so powerful and didn't have the great dept in the bass as the BL 2..!

And one great thing to find out where the subwoofer sounds best is to place it in your listening spot, ( in the couch for example) and then crawl around in the room to find out where the bass sounds best... When you have spotted the best place, then simply place the sub there for optimum sound! 

Regards 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-20-2007 8:23 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

I´m one of the members who thinks that the BL 2 are a bit slow, but the bass reproduction is high quality thoug...

I now own a BL 2 because i didn't like that the B&W PV1 500watt ICE Power was made of cheap plastic! And when i had the two woofers at home for testing the final decision fell on the BL 2, because the B&W PV1 wasn't so powerful and didn't have the great dept in the bass as the BL 2..!

And one great thing to find out where the subwoofer sounds best is to place it in your listening spot, ( in the couch for example) and then crawl around in the room to find out where the bass sounds best... When you have spotted the best place, then simply place the sub there for optimum sound! 

Regards 

This is definitely true regarding sub placement. When i had a sub with satellites i used this method and it worked wonders. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)