in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-25-2007 5:15 PM by Peter. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2007 3:23 PM

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 6000 - phono socket input - adjustment of sensitivity to music to change from standby to on

Hello All,

I am thinking of buying a pair of BeoLab 6000s from a colleague.  I would use them connected to the outputs from a very high quality preamplifier/digital-to-analogue converter (Grace m902).

I have tried this setup already and I am very satisfied with the sound.  However, at very low volumes, one of the BeoLabs sometimes switches from 'on' (green LED) to 'standby' (red LED).  The other speaker does this less often.  This matters to me because the system is in a room beneath a bedroom and I must listen quietly at night.

Is there an internal sensitivity adjustment for the signal level at which the speaker switches on/standby.

I have no worries about opening up the speaker(s): I am electrically competent and familiar with circuit boards, etc.

Can anybody advise me?

Regards,
    Peter

• 04-23-2007 3:37 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoLab 6000 - phono socket input - adjustment of sensitivity to music to change from standby to on

This cannot be modified without losing the warranty as far as I'm aware.

The BeoLab 3s switch off at a lower volume than the BeoLab 6000s, so if you can stretch to them, you may find they suit your needs better. You'll most probably find they sound MUCH better than the BeoLab 6000s as well...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-23-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 6000 - phono socket input - adjustment of sensitivity to music to change from standby to on

I think I am right in saying this is a known issue which is fixed by adding a capacitor and diode.

It fails on some units and not others because of tolerence difference of components.

There is no adjustment you can make, but you will have to get these components added to permanently fix the problem.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-23-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Ah so it's actually a defect. I wasn't aware of that, thankyou.

Is this only on certain speakers though?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-23-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

As far as I am aware this problem only shows up on BeoLab 6000's

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-23-2007 10:24 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Alex,

They are no longer under warranty, so that's not a concern for me.

Regarding BeoLab 3s, I don't want to spend that much money.  Also, I love the simplicity of appearance of the 6000s.  (For really better sound I can go to my listening room, where the emphasis is on performance rather than appearance.)

Regards,
    Peter

Keith,

Thanks for your remarks.  I don't want to spend money paying a B&O dealer to put this right if I can find out how to do it myself.  Can you please point me to the source of your information about a diode and a capacitor?

Regards,
    Peter

• 04-24-2007 2:16 AM In reply to

Peter,

I have found an old sheet with details of the modification, but without the circuit diagram, I am not sure it will be that helpful.

I do not have a circuit diagram or a set of these speakers, but I have found an old entry which may have come from the old BeoWorld site and it says the following:-

For Power-link: Mount a 1 nF capacitor across 03D1.
    Line: Mount a diode 1N4148 between 03R126 and 03D19.

If the component numbers are marked on the circuit board, then you may be able to work this out. I am assuming that if you are only using the powerlink socket, then you only need to add the capacitor across D1, 03 meaning the circuit board number.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-24-2007 5:06 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Is the mod documented in the service manual?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-24-2007 5:59 AM In reply to

Bamber2000

What equipment do you have in your 'listening room'?

Brian

• 04-24-2007 8:19 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Hello Brian,

For stereo
    Storage: LaCie 500GB hard drive --> Ethernet -->
    Digital source: Sonos ZP80 music server --> cheap optical interconnect -->
    Pre-amplifier/processor: Tact Audio RCS2.2X¹ --> cheap optical interconnect -->
    Digital power amp.: Tact Audio M2150 --> Ecosse LS cables (very short) -->
    Quad ESL63 electrostatic speakers²

For SACD stereo
    Denon 2910 (analogue outputs) --> Van Den Hul interconnects -->
    Tact RCS2.2X, etc.

For multichannel SACD or DVD-Audio
    Denon 2910 (analogue outputs) --> Belkin Silver series interconnects -->
    Arcam AVR200 (just as a multichannel volume control) -->

(FRONT) Atlas interconnects --> Tact RCS2.2X, etc.

(REAR) Chord phono-DIN interconnect --> Pre-/amp.: Naim NAC72/NAP140 --> Nordost Flatline LS cables -->
    B&W CM1 speakers

¹ Digital room correction system
    ² Fully refurbished Autumn 2006

Regards,
    Peter

Filed under:
  • 04-24-2007 8:22 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Hello Keith,

Thanks for that information.

Regards,
    Peter

• 04-25-2007 2:13 AM In reply to

Peter,

So, are you going to purchase the speakers ?

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-25-2007 5:15 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

I hope so.  I need to find the money, but there may be some overtime coming up soon.  I've asked my colleague whether he'd wait a few weeks: he may do.

If I buy and open them up for the modification, then I'll post the details.

Regards,
    Peter

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)