in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-29-2007 11:49 AM by mbee. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-27-2007 2:52 PM

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Which TV in home cinema setup?

I am very glad to own a nice home cinema setup: Avant VTR 28" 100Hz non RF; 2xBL1, BL2, 2xBL4000, Sanyo PLV Z3 beamer, all other equipment connected also non B&O (DVD, HDR, digital TV, mac-mini). I control everything using the Beo4 (with lintronic solution).

I want/need a new TV in the next year(s) to replace the avant; with this change I would like to get more/better connectivity options (digital sources) and more/better sound options (DTS etc). My 'struggle' is that I can not find a good balance in the B&O options; I want a good centre speaker matching my setup but what I do not need is a big TV; I think the size of the my current avant is ok.

Some thoughts that have crossed my mind:

- BV8: no home cinema (DD/DTS) options, therefore a no go; not sure about quality center speaker

- BV7 32: Limited connectivity; not sure if pic quality is good value for money

- BV7 40: Great connectivity; too big; too expensive

- BC6-26: Screen size ok; speaker quality not sufficient? connectivity limited.

- BS4: Way too big/expensive

- BS3 + non B&O panel + BL4000 center: My current preference because of the versatility; but my concern is that I hear quite some concerns about the use of non B&O panels and the investment is very high.

Now my question: What do you think is the best choice for my setup? 

Appreciate you thoughts!

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 10-27-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Re: Which TV in home cinema setup?

Please educate me as I would have thought that the only difference between the BV7 32" vs 40" would be the screen size, but you state there is a connectivity difference... can you elaborate?

-Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 10-27-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just what I was thinking. As in some ways the BV7 can be seen as the replacement for the Avant.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-27-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Compare the connections on the new BeoVision 7-40 to that of the 7-32!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-27-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Sal:
    Please educate me as I would have thought that the only difference between the BV7 32" vs 40" would be the screen size, but you state there is a connectivity difference... can you elaborate?

-Sal

The BV7 40 got a recent upgrade; connectivity is now quite similar to the BS3 from connectivity point of view.

The BV7 32 did not get this upgrade and as far as I know it is not known if it will get the update at all. To my opinion the current specifications do not justify the price level. 

Bieele 

• 10-27-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

My mistake,Embarrassed I thought both sizes were now BS3 based. So it is only the 40" version then.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-27-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Bieele! Go for the BV7-32 MK III in Black or dark grey with the HDMI expander box!

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-27-2007 7:59 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I am quite sure that after the 40" version, the BV7-32 will get a similar update. The panel probably won't be updated, as a 32" screen does not need that update, but concerning the connections, i simply needs to be updated to stay up to date. 

As the BV7 is the (perfect) replacement for the Avant, I can't but recommand you to wait untill the 32" is updated and get it, you won't regret it!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-27-2007 8:15 PM In reply to

tom:
    I am quite sure that after the 40" version, the BV7-32 will get a similar update. The panel probably won't be updated, as a 32" screen does not need that update, but concerning the connections, i simply needs to be updated to stay up to date. 

As the BV7 is the (perfect) replacement for the Avant, I can't but recommand you to wait untill the 32" is updated and get it, you won't regret it!

Sorry but it's the other way around. it gets a new panel and no new chassis... and don't need it IMO.

I would go for BV7 32" mk III talk to your dealer about the possibility to get one home on trial.

• 10-27-2007 8:44 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

The Stig - ver. 1.4:
    Sorry but it's the other way around. it gets a new panel and no new chassis... and don't need it IMO.

I would go for BV7 32" mk III talk to your dealer about the possibility to get one home on trial.

Really? IMO, it is more important to get more connections to the BV7, because the pannel is good enough for a 32" screen. Are you sure about this?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-27-2007 9:12 PM In reply to

Yes there will be a HDMI expander for it, with 4 HDMI inputs. so compared on input connections the differers is a VGA input and a component input less. and 5.1 instead of 7.1.
  • 10-28-2007 2:30 AM In reply to

To be quite frank, if you have an Avant 28 and want something better, I would go for an Avant 32 RF or a BV3 -32!

I bought a BV3-32 when BV7-32 was released, wondering "am I stupid"? Then I had to wait for one month, wondering everyday : "how could I be so stupid"? everyone's buying LCD and I bought a CRT!!

Then the TV came, was unpacked, connected to my DVD player, and on the first 30 seconds of Star Wars Episode 3 I had the answer to all my doubts...unless you use a lot of real digital video sources (PC, video players/recorders with digital outputs), a second hand BV3 will cost you 3 to 4 times less than any current BV LCD, with a better picture, Dolby Digital decoders, electronic curtain, Masterlink connectivity and a lot of money saved that you can spend on a better pair of speakers!

To me the only plus of BV7 is BeoLab 7, but if you have a subwoofer, you should forget that very quickly..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-28-2007 6:53 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion:

To be quite frank, if you have an Avant 28 and want something better, I would go for an Avant 32 RF or a BV3 -32!

I bought a BV3-32 when BV7-32 was released, wondering "am I stupid"? Then I had to wait for one month, wondering everyday : "how could I be so stupid"? everyone's buying LCD and I bought a CRT!!

Then the TV came, was unpacked, connected to my DVD player, and on the first 30 seconds of Star Wars Episode 3 I had the answer to all my doubts...unless you use a lot of real digital video sources (PC, video players/recorders with digital outputs), a second hand BV3 will cost you 3 to 4 times less than any current BV LCD, with a better picture, Dolby Digital decoders, electronic curtain, Masterlink connectivity and a lot of money saved that you can spend on a better pair of speakers!

To me the only plus of BV7 is BeoLab 7, but if you have a subwoofer, you should forget that very quickly..

Actually this was the way I was heading also some time ago: The picture on my avant turned bad which seemed to be caused by a problem with the tube. I already agreed with my dealer to buy a demo avant 32 dvd! But in the mean time I could solve the problem myself; this solution workes now for more than 2 months so hopefuly this lasts. But when I placed the order I was also full of doubts; was a new avant the right choice? How could I justify spending several thousands of euros on a tube telly? Do I need to go for LCD/plasma? How to solve the connection problems (I will win the beomedia this monthBig Smile)?

To be honoust I still am not convinced what is the best choice; I feel the avant real flat 32 DVD is the best tube tv ever made; I still do not feel the BV7 is the best tv currently on the market (maybe the MKIII is, I did not see it in flesh yet) and that the flat screen market is moving to fast. Therefore I also like the BS3 solution; although very expensive; the upgrade options are very nice (compared to a combined solution like the bv7).

More thoughts are welcome! 

Bieele 

• 10-28-2007 8:02 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Do I need to go for LCD/plasma ?

If you want a really natural and nice picture you have to go for plasma, but normal people choose <90cm LCD and >90 Plasma because of the productions costs.

I you think 40" inch is too much, a non B&O Plasma like the New Pioneer Kuro's are not a option. A Loewe Individual 32"  has got a good picture, but If you don't care about the money I should take the Beovision 7 mkIII

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 10-28-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Beobird:

Do I need to go for LCD/plasma ?

If you want a really natural and nice picture you have to go for plasma, but normal people choose <90cm LCD and >90 Plasma because of the productions costs.

I you think 40" inch is too much, a non B&O Plasma like the New Pioneer Kuro's are not a option. A Loewe Individual 32"  has got a good picture, but If you don't care about the money I should take the Beovision 7 mkIII

I would not mind getting another brand tv in my setup; but I do not want to loose my cinema setup. I do not see (other than the BS3) a good solution to integrate another brand plasma/lcd in my setup without using the DD surround sound and the masterlink functionality.

Bieele 

• 10-28-2007 2:04 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I'm exactly in the same dilemma : now that LCD/Plasma image quality is becoming quite good, I want something to connect all my HDMI-stuff together (Blu-ray Vaio, ADSL TV Box, Videoprojector and maybe a PS3/Xbox and some other stuff later) and profit of a 5.1 B&O sound with a relatively small panel (26/32 inches), and nothing exist in the B&O range to satisfy this need, which I think is a shame because there are lots of people searching for that. In fact, something like a Beocenter 6 (26/32) with 4 HDMI, DTS-HD support (and every other new HD sound formats provided by blu-rays/HD-DVDs), a projector output and an improved speaker (with ALT) would be almost perfect for me!
  • 10-28-2007 4:02 PM In reply to

If you want connections then it has to be BeoVision 7-40. If connections are not important but picture quality is, then there are many other B&O sets to look at including the BeoVision 8 which I think is an excellent tv at an excellent price. Otherwise, if cost of BeoVision 7-40 is too high then it has to be a different brand, possibly Loewe although I know little to nothing about them. Good luck.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-28-2007 6:05 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

If you want connections then it has to be BeoVision 7-40. If connections are not important but picture quality is, then there are many other B&O sets to look at including the BeoVision 8 which I think is an excellent tv at an excellent price. Otherwise, if cost of BeoVision 7-40 is too high then it has to be a different brand, possibly Loewe although I know little to nothing about them. Good luck.

Simon.

This is exactly my problem: It is not really an option to go to another brand because then I will loose all integration functionality (surround sound, masterlink etc); but within the B&O range the options are very limited (if you are not willing to spend over 10kEuro).

Bieele 

• 10-28-2007 7:10 PM In reply to

Bieele:
    The Beonic Man:

Simon.

This is exactly my problem: It is not really an option to go to another brand because then I will loose all integration functionality (surround sound, masterlink etc); but within the B&O range the options are very limited (if you are not willing to spend over 10kEuro).

Bieele 

OK Bieele, as far as I see it you only have 2 choices. In no particular order:

1. BeoVision 7-40 Mark III (with a 7-1 or 7-2 speaker)

2. BeoSystem 3 with a BeoVision 4

These are the only choices you have with B&O because they offer the connectivity that you want. This is very important and an area you should not compromise in. This offers you the best future proof solution at this time and the BeoSystem 3 makes it a very good one.

Of course the flip side is that you are now faced with the same dilemma for both choices, which is settling for a 40 inch screen size minimum. I don't know your reason for wanting to stay with 28 or 32 inches. If you have to, because of the size of your living space, then this would be difficult to change I agree. If not though, and you only want to stay with a smaller screen size because you are used to it or because you prefer it, this is not a valid reason and I would strongly urge you to reconsider. Before I bought a BeoVision 7-40 I was convinced a 32 inch screen was more than ample. However, having watched the BeoVision 7-40 for a number of weeks now I know that I could never go back, nor would I want to. The 40 inch screen size offers a wonderful viewing experience and brings the programmes to life. With this in mind, I suggest that your best choice is this first option.

The BeoVision 7-40 Mark III is the new Avant (in my opinion) plus a whole lot more. It offers everything you could possibly want (and need) from a TV. It makes the best of LCD technology and I personally feel it beats the picture of the Avant 32 RF DVD, which my Mum has. With a good quality signal being received, this television displays the perfect picture. In terms of connections it has everything you currently need with space for more in the future. The DVD upscaler is unmatched. The styling as with all B&O makes it stand out from the crowd and puts it in a class of its own.

The second option would be no worse than the first. In fact, if you went for an older BeoVision 4 then you may be able to set it up a lot cheaper. The only reason I haven't discussed it is because the screen is another 10 inches bigger than the BeoVision 7-40 so I feel that really would be too big for you.

There's lots more to be said about other televisions in the range; they all have their individual merits and the BeoVision 8 especially is a TV that I really do like. This will definitly be another B&O classic in terms of its styling. As you mention however, it lacks in several areas that are important to you, just as they would be to me. I see it more of a second room television or a monitor, which is what I will buy it and use it for in the near future.

I do wish you the very best. Its a tough choice and I have painstakingly gone through this process in the past few months. It boiled down to exactly the same choice for me, along with the BeoVision 5 which I had my heart set on from the beginning. I removed it from the equation for a number of reasons including cost, lack of connectivity options, lack of DVD player, lack of BeoSystem 3 and outdated plasma panel. It was a difficult choice because I loved the styling so much, but definitly the right one. In the end, practicality ruled over styling. Don't dismiss the BeoVision 7-40, IT'S A LOT OF TV. 

So, good luck and keep us posted as to your eventual decision.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-28-2007 8:07 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

It sounds like BeoVision 8-26 with BeoSystem 3 should offer all you want; Use the DVI  output from the BeoSystem 3 to the HDMI input of the BV8.  Use the audio output of the BeoSystem 3.  I don't know about the other equipment and the Lintronic, but the core seems OK.  I wonder if you could make the BV 8 audio act as a center channel in a theater setup?

Ray 

• 10-29-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

OK Bieele, as far as I see it you only have 2 choices. In no particular order:

1. BeoVision 7-40 Mark III (with a 7-1 or 7-2 speaker)

2. BeoSystem 3 with a BeoVision 4

Thanks Simon for your thoughts; I agree that your break down brings the choices down to the 2 intended B&O solutions for my purpose. Although very good solutions I am not sure if I am willing and able to make this kind of 'investment'. I am used to buy small steps at a time, this investment would be much more than I ever made in 1 purchase.

Therefore the proposal by Ray also has some very good sides:

symmes:

It sounds like BeoVision 8-26 with BeoSystem 3 should offer all you want; Use the DVI  output from the BeoSystem 3 to the HDMI input of the BV8.  Use the audio output of the BeoSystem 3.  I don't know about the other equipment and the Lintronic, but the core seems OK.  I wonder if you could make the BV 8 audio act as a center channel in a theater setup?

Ray 

This way it would still be quite a high investment, and I would not use the full capabilities of the bs3 immediately, but it is a solution that has alot of room for future upgrades (beovision 8 to the bedroom and a new beovsion 4 panel).

Does anybody know if this solution could work? Can I use the beovision 8 speaker as a center speaker? Is this a good quality speaker? Would the connection of the beovision 8 to the beosystem 3 work properly? 

Bieele 

• 10-29-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I don't think this solution would work :

1. There is no direct solution to use the BV8 speaker as a center (an adapter would work)
    2. The signal in the HDMI input of the BV8 will be computed by the BV8 processor, so it will be altered by two treatments, resulting in a non optimal quality

If you take the Beosystem 3, there is no advantage of connecting it to a BV8 of BV7 because of that limitations (it's burning money for nothing!), just take an other brand commercial display (I'm thinking of Panasonic, there are other, you only need take a screen without picture processor, just HDMI or DVI input, the beosystem 3 will do the rest of the work. The Panasonic TH-32LHD7UY was a good choice some years ago, now it's discontinued and totally outdated). And for the center channel, connect the BS3 to a pair of bl4000 (or the solution you choose)

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)