in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-11-2008 6:26 PM by Puncher. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2008 1:43 PM

I Want A Big Telly

I am looking for some advice. I have a fairly small TV room and my partner and I want a big scree to replace our BV6-22 which is far too small and not HD. We would link screen about 37 or 40 inches, and I would like it to be Full HD.

The house is all kitted out with masterlink and there are speakers and other B&O TVs around the house...so I am fairly locked in to B&O and the system works well.

So, if the room were bigger, I would go for BV4 and a BS3...but 50" is just far too big. Has anyone used another make of screen with a BS3? I have though about a BV7-40, but I dont really need the SD DVD, and although the Mark III is better than the Mark II, it still feels like it lacks the lastest developments.

Should I just forget B&O and get a Loewe?

• 03-09-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: I Want A Big Telly

i'd wait and see what the bv7 mk4 is like , i wouldn't buy a loewe as imo they're not very good tv's

i had one and lets just say it was a disaster in every sense of the word

plus they're just cheap copies of bno

i'd rather have a bravia than a loewe as at least they're not slavishly aping another manufacturer as loewe do with bang & olufsen

also leowe remotes are arguably the worst designed on this planet  , the tv's have a truly bizarre user interface and the picture is nowhere near as good as the best bno's 

finally , they're not even very well made - lots of cheap plastic where bno use real metal etc 

popgear is grate™

• 03-09-2008 3:25 PM In reply to

I don't see anything wrong with the Bv7 beeing SD DVD. Come time, you will most likely be able to buy a blueray in a BS3 style cabinet.

Or just buy any other brand for that and use the STB to control it. If you look at the price of the BV7, they throw in the DVD for free it seems.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-10-2008 4:47 AM In reply to

Well I am bias since I own a 7-40 Mark III but I can tell you that its a great TV and I am very happy with it. The picture quality will not be very good with a standard definition signal but if you use digital and especially HD then it is superb. I could have waited for the next edition that one hopes will have Blu-Ray built in but then how long would I have had to wait? I already spent 8 months waiting for the Mark III which only came out in November so the Mark IV is likely to be some way off. We don't know for sure, but it might be that the DVD module can be replaced with the new Blue-Ray one anyway. I certainly hope so. Don't know if anyone can clarify either way? There seems to be mixed opinions about this.

The BV4 is a lovely TV and of course you have plasma over LCD which is generally considered better. Although looking at some HD content on my 7-40 you'd be hard pushed to notice any difference. The BV4 was a set I considered and still is a future possibility, but as you say, the new 50" screen does demand a large space to look right. Not too many offerings with B&O Tvs at the moment but the best of luck to you. I wouldn't consider a different brand, particularly if you have a B&O masterlinked home. I can't comment on other brands as I have never used them, well a Toshiba set about 20 years ago, which was very good at the time! How about a 2005 Avant DVD 32 RF model? Its either, 32", 40" or 50" for you, although there is talk of a new 46" screen size being introduced to the range soon.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-10-2008 10:15 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I recently saw the latest Loewe with a BBC HD source and it was no way near as impressive as theBV7-40 with the same HD source. Even if the BV7-40 lacks the 'latest developments' (which are?), the screen is still very impressive with the right source.

Snag is, it's very expensive. I guess you'd get a trade-in from your current BV6-22, although you might not get more than around £1000 from the BV7-40 retail price.

Why not consider a 2007 model BV7-32? You'd get this for just over £4K, be able to trade-in your BV6-22 against it and you can then use it to trade-up to a BV7-40 MKIV later this year or early next?

A recent (not new) BV7-32 is still an impressive TV. Good SD, excellent with HD and superb with the 7.1.

• 03-10-2008 2:36 PM In reply to

Thing is, that the next BV7 will have a blueray is pure speculation. Is just a "want" unless I am missing something.

I would think it is more likely that they sell the player if they ever do one as a DVD 2 like external box.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-10-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jk1002, B&O have said that they *are* looking at an internal Blu-ray player for the BV7 and also 100Hz technology, but that it wouldn't be implemented soon - end of this year or early next.

However, this is no guarantee of the inclusion of an internal player. It doesn't mean that it will definitely happen. B&O were quite clever with that statement stating that they are looking in to it, but no MKIV (with whatever is included) is due soon.

• 03-10-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

if you are not in a hurry to buy B&O tv ,i will wait till the dust settle and buy then,in the mean time buy an interim tv ie samsung/panasonic and save yourself huge amount of money&headache !!!! (i made that mistake bought one and sold it)Embarrassed
  • 03-11-2008 3:41 AM In reply to

to be fair to bno , it's not really their fault they can't keep up as technology is moving SO quickly

they build products for the long term , but everythings disposable these days - even tv screens !

lcd's the big noise now ( with led backlighting coming asap ) , but in a few years it'll be oled , then laser tv , then gawd knows what

popgear is grate™

• 03-11-2008 1:45 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone, some useful points
  • 03-11-2008 6:14 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I had the chance of seeing the complete Pioneer Kuro range at Comet on Sunday, and the black levels were the best I've seen on a TV. The rest of the picture didn't seem anywhere near as good as B&O's IMO. Colours, movement, depth and overall detail is so much further ahead on the BeoVisions...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-11-2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Call me a cynic but how long is your visual memory?

We speak of auditioning speakers and having an "audio" memory of up to 30 secs when we can validly compare two sources. Surely it's the same with active pictures - or does someone know different??

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)