in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-23-2007 7:17 AM by joeyboygolf. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2007 4:03 PM

• ururk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

BeoCenter 2500 door problems (won't close)

Hi All! I'm posting regarding a BeoCenter 2500 with some door issues (the doors do not close all the way).

==============Quick history==============

A coworker asked if I could fix his BeoCenter - he had it in storage for about 5 years, and the doors would automatically open when it was turned on, never closing unless manually pushed shut. After reading about it on the web, I thought either an IR LED or IR receiver burnt out. It was actually much simpler -> dust had collected behind the dark plastic panels to the left and right of the CD/tape mechanism.

Long story short, I disassembled the back case, bottom surround, and two dark plastic covers. I cleaned ALL the grease and grit off the gear mechanism and lightly greased it with general purpose lithium grease. Since they are plastic gears, I assumed a little amount of lithium grease wouldn't hurt. They made a lot of noise when they operated -> there were what looked like grains of sand stuck between 3 gear teeth. I cleaned the plastic panels, dusted the metal areas on the inside.

============================

Anyhow, the door mechanism operates properly when the doors are off. When the glass is on they open ok, but do not close all the way. I would say they close about 1/3 of the way.

1) I know I did not get any grease on the motor pulley

2) I'm not 100% sure the doors closed OK on their own before, since the doors had to be pushed shut manually

3) Should I grease the rails? There is no apparent blockage. There are some patches on the rails that look raised.

4) Looking at the front, and mounting only one door at a time, the door closes when the right door is the only one mounted. When the left door is the only one mounted, the mechanism stops about 1/3 of the way closed.

Any ideas? Could the door wire be stretched? Should I try taking apart the wire-pully assembly, and reassembling it? Should I replace the motor-pulley drive belt?

Thanks!

John

• 04-22-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

Re: BeoCenter 2500 door problems (won't close)

When I have had symptoms like this I have replaced the top and bottom slider mechanisms  to good effect.

As far as I am aware, the plastic cogs run dry. ie no grease

Regards Graham

• 04-22-2007 9:23 PM In reply to

• ururk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hmmm, I cleaned some grease off the cogs, so I know it used to be greased.

As far as the slider mechanisms, are they expensive?
  • 04-23-2007 2:22 AM In reply to

I have a new motor and cogs in my hand now and on close inspection there is the minimum amount of grease on the teeth such that you hardly notice.

From memory, the kit of new slider mechanisms, which includes a new motor was around £40. I have fitted several, bit fiddly but not technically demanding. Part of the process involves re-aligning the door closing. Instructions are supplied in with the kit. Again, the key to success is to get the motor/main cog in the correct orientation before tightening the sliders on the string.

Regards Graham

• 04-23-2007 7:02 AM In reply to

• ururk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:
    From memory, the kit of new slider mechanisms, which includes a new motor was around £40. I have fitted several, bit fiddly but not technically demanding. Part of the process involves re-aligning the door closing. Instructions are supplied in with the kit. Again, the key to success is to get the motor/main cog in the correct orientation before tightening the sliders on the string.
    £40? So about 80 USD. I'll have to call around to see where to buy the parts over here.

How do you attach the bottom sliders to the wire? It seems like one would have to remove all the rear circuit boards to get a screwdriver positioned correctly.

Thanks!

John
  • 04-23-2007 7:17 AM In reply to

The sliders are attached to the wire with clamps (2 screws in each). Bit fiddly but simple enough. Most difficult part is getting the wire/string back in the clamps. The original screws are cross head and the new ones are Torx.

The bottom electronic pack can be removed as one lump. It just swings out of the way to allow access to the bottom slider assembly.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)