in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-13-2007 12:37 PM by Toby. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2007 5:41 PM

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

My BeoLab 4s arrive!

Well, after a bit of a fiasco with the couriers being unable to find my house (not that you'd expect them to be any good at finding places to deliver), my BeoLab 4s have arrived!

After removing enough protection wrapping to cover the continent of India, along with a little note from Lee & the team, which I managed to cut right through the middle of), I had them out of their boxes and connected, wires trailing, to my MacBook Pro on the desk, stands safely stored in their boxes for the day when I wish to use them for a different purpose.

I must say, that no matter how sniffy I might have been in the past about them, they are really surprisingly good for their size! In fact so much so that I was welcomed to a blast of Radiohead's new 15 Step at a needlessly high volume. After hitting the mute button at a speed I don't normally move (believe me, I'm a teenager, I'm slow), they actually proved to sound rather pleasant. Switching them to 'PC' mode helped a lot, although they can still be a bit too loud, bearing in mind this is a medium sized bedroom we're talking about. Surprising for such a compact speaker.

The high end is quite pleasant, while not incredibly detailed. I think this is more of a good thing though, as more detail would mean when used with a computer, compressed music and poorly recorded content (something which is ripe on the 'net) would be made to sound even worse as the speakers belch every last flaw in the recording at you.

As far as looks, well, the pictures say it all. They look fantastic:

Certainly the best looking speakers I've seen either side of a computer, they look fantastic!

Pleased! Big Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-11-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

Re: My BeoLab 4s arrive!

Congrats, you'll find the bass improves if if you raise them up from the surface they're on. For instance with wall mounts -- anything that allows a bit of air below the bass vent. 

• 10-11-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Great photo's Alex.
    Your room looks nice and tidy for a 17 year old!
    The speakers look like they were meant to be there.
    Just out of curiosity, do you sit on that blue ball thing while you are writing all your lengthy posts on Beoworld?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-11-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I was planning on getting some BL3 rings, or possibly even using some of the cable-snake that comes with BeoLab 8000s...

I'm also going to get an in-line volume reducer, as I'm finding my MBP's volume control steps are too large, and even on the the bottom step, it's a tad too loud for quiet 'going to sleep' listening (I always go to sleep to music). I wouldn't ever want to bring the volume anywhere past ~50% as it is at the moment before it becomes too loud. They've really surprised me, in a good way! Waiting for them to loosen up a bit, as the upper mids are sounding a little harsh at the moment, and I've heard them sound much better in this frequency. Going to leave them playing constantly over saturday while I'm at school!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-11-2007 6:20 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:

Great photo's Alex.
    Your room looks nice and tidy for a 17 year old!
    The speakers look like they were meant to be there.
    Just out of curiosity, do you sit on that blue ball thing while you are writing all your lengthy posts on Beoworld?

Andy T.

Indeed I do, helps build up lower back and leg strength apparently! All I know is it looks cool Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-11-2007 6:58 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Well done Alex!!

And for those who wonder what Alex looks like..

News Item

Lee
    Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-11-2007 7:02 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Don't you just know he's had a tidy-up before taking the photos! No teenager I know (my two at least) keep their bedroom like this!

(If you do in fact do keep your bedroom like this I apologise unreservedly but will then tell you............chill out and swing low a little)!!!

I feel comfortable saying this as you ain't my child - if your Mum asks who said it was OK just tell her it was a Northern Slob - she'll understand!!Laughing

They look splendid by the way, enjoy - the computer looks a  little "me too" thoughBig Smile with sockets on the sidesSurprise - how stylish is that!!!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-11-2007 9:28 PM In reply to

the pics look fantastic. Congratulations...

And, make a mess can ya. The room is far too neat.

jazz

• 10-11-2007 10:11 PM In reply to

Dear Alex:

Congrats !!  

My current set up includes BL 4s hooked to a iMac 17 inch.  I have been watching movies on this set up.  The BL 4s continue to impress me with their sound fullness and bass reproduction.  I find myself surprised by their sound stage.  

Enjoy,

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-12-2007 12:39 AM In reply to

Nice pictures!

I also love the BL4s, they are really good for their size! 

• 10-12-2007 1:16 AM In reply to

Alex:

I'm also going to get an in-line volume reducer, as I'm finding my MBP's volume control steps are too large, and even on the the bottom step, it's a tad too loud for quiet 'going to sleep' listening (I always go to sleep to music).

If you're listening mostly to compressed music and files you find on the net, as you mention above, you can use the iTunes equalizer to reduce the db out level, that actually takes the line level volume down quite a bit.

And this brilliant little program connects with your iTunes library, and lets you set music to fall asleep or wake up to -- while you can set over how long a time it should fade ... It also lets you set the start volume.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25042

• 10-12-2007 1:20 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Well done Alex! Emjoy your new ear-toys!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-12-2007 1:38 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    Alex:

I'm also going to get an in-line volume reducer, as I'm finding my MBP's volume control steps are too large, and even on the the bottom step, it's a tad too loud for quiet 'going to sleep' listening (I always go to sleep to music).

If you're listening mostly to compressed music and files you find on the net, as you mention above, you can use the iTunes equalizer to reduce the db out level, that actually takes the line level volume down quite a bit.

And this brilliant little program connects with your iTunes library, and lets you set music to fall asleep or wake up to -- while you can set over how long a time it should fade ... It also lets you set the start volume.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25042

Does anyone know if there is a program like this for PC using itunes...

thanks in advance

jazz

• 10-12-2007 6:38 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Congratulations, Alex, they look great!

Not entirely convinced about the blue exercise ball though - I'm sure I've seen them advertised for a completely different reason to the one you stated!!! Laughing

And don't listen to the old men on here - I'm only 22 and my room is immaculate - times have changed, guys! Stop harassing us and go and collect your pensions or something! Stick out tongue

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-12-2007 6:44 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

A14BEO:

Not entirely convinced about the blue exercise ball though - I'm sure I've seen them advertised for a completely different reason to the one you stated!!! Laughing

And don't listen to the old men on here - I'm only 22 and my room is immaculate - times have changed, guys! Stop harassing us and go and collect your pensions or something! Stick out tongue

Now that's fightin' talk!!  The young folk of today just don't show any respect for their elders etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. And let me tell you somrthing else, blah, blah, twitter, twitter!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-12-2007 6:48 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Super Angry Blah, blah, blah... talk to the hand, coz the face, it just ain't listenin' brother! Laughing

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-12-2007 1:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    A14BEO:

Now that's fightin' talk!!  The young folk of today just don't show any respect for their elders etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. And let me tell you somrthing else, blah, blah, twitter, twitter!Big Smile

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch 'when I were a lad...' Stick out tongue

RE my room being tidy, it's actually always like this! I'm actually bit of a neat freak Surprise

As for the volume level, I tried it, but at really low volume levels, the dithering produces some really noticeable artifacts when I'm listening to Boards of Canada. No worry though, I found an in-line minijack volume control for £5, so no harm done if it turns out to be a pile of junk...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-12-2007 2:44 PM In reply to

Hey Alex,

I like your room, it's neat and clean. Your girlfriend may be very happy to have you Stick out tongueBig SmileWink
    By the way, I like the mix between your MacBook Pro and your sweet BL4's from B&O.
    Keep on collecting B&O, but beware as we don't now when this will end... (B&O virus) Wink

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 10-12-2007 8:28 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Very nice Alex - not sure about the excercise ball though - that'd certainly spell a week in hospital for me if I sat on the thingSurprise

Just seen your photo on the Beoworld news item and that horrible American imported word "dude" has been lodged in my forebrain ever sinceConfused

Enjoy the BL 4's mate - you deserve themSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-13-2007 12:37 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Very stylish is all I can say. I wonder when my turn will be?Party!!!

The ball is the very best for your back. Colour is a personal thing. 

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)