in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-28-2007 2:06 AM by Stars. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2007 5:34 AM

BeoLab 4 PC speakers

Dear all BeoWorlders,

Although my comments and technical input are rarely of much help to many of you, I intend to be reading and posting on BeoWorld more frequently again as I have not been online in 2 or 3 months really.

Anyway, back on topic, I was wondering if anyone uses BeoLab 4s as computer speakers? A dealer in Milan advised me to get a pair of BeoLab 3s instead, but isn't that a bit much? I already have a pair of BeoLab 3s in my living room and they seem powerful enough to fill the room with ease, so why waste all that power on a pair of speakers in a relatively small study, which might I add will be played via a computer? The dealer said he had not sold any BeoLab 4s as computer speakers, just as rears or kitchen speakers.

Just to clarify, I am not a hardcore London DJ Stick out tongue who needs outstanding sound from a computer, but at the same time I would enjoy a softer sound than my current Sony desktop speakers!

I am open to everyone's opinions and suggestions Yes -  thumbs up

• 09-26-2007 6:05 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 4 PC speakers

What would the speakers be used for?

Even a Beolab 4 might be OTT for computer speakers if you use the computer in the study only occasionally, although I am sure they would be fit for purpose!

Simon

• 09-26-2007 6:12 AM In reply to

Hi Simon,

They would be used to play my iTunes mainly, so I would like a better sound than what I've currently got.
    Glad to see it's not just me that thinks the BL3s are a bit much though!

• 09-26-2007 6:57 AM In reply to

Hello Henry,

I have a pair of BL4s working as PC speakers via beoport, which I use daily.

I use them only when I'm working at computer, so the distance between me and the BL4s is only around 80 cms, for that distance and moderate volumes (while working is difficult for me to keep a good concentration if the volume is high) they do a very good job even if they clearly have a lac of bass.

I was using during a while my pair of BL3s at their place too, and their sound was clearly better... but they had a huge problem for me: BL3s need a minimum of listening distance !! and 80 cms was too short, the result was that I finished "tired" after long (2 hours) listening sessions.

Hope that helps you, regards. 

Santiago

• 09-26-2007 7:21 AM In reply to

Santiago:

Hello Henry,

I have a pair of BL4s working as PC speakers via beoport, which I use daily.

... they do a very good job even if they clearly have a lack of bass.

BL4s get a markedly improved bass performance if you mount them on the wall by your listening position,  or if you are able to figure a way of getting them up from the surface they have been resting on. Based on my experience and that of others. 

• 09-26-2007 7:35 AM In reply to

Thank you very much for the tip soundproof Yes -  thumbs up

Santiago

• 09-26-2007 8:05 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

What about getting one of these to mount BeoLab4 PC on to the table stands from the BeoLab 3?? If i had the cash to buy PC speakers, this is what i would do, it unique, and they would sound excellent! Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-26-2007 8:32 AM In reply to

Hi David,

There is a big problem (for me) with those table stands for BL3s, they cannot hide inside the wires, contrary the BL3 floor stands which can do.

Santiago

• 09-26-2007 9:03 AM In reply to

Thanks for your ideas guys. Always a pleasure to see Santiago back posting to my thread!

David: If I bought myself another pair of BL3s I would have them on the rubber rings on my desk, not on the floor or table stands. I personally think they're just too powerful for what I need, plus the ALTs seems to go to waste as the BL3s would only be a metre apart at the most!

soundproof: Thanks for your interesting comment. My desk is right up against the wall and my monitor is right at the back of the desk against the wall. Therefore I would have the BL4s either side of the display right near the wall. Would this improve the bass do you think? Sorry if my mental picture hasn't been painted very clearly!

• 09-26-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

soundproof:

BL4s get a markedly improved bass performance if you mount them on the wall by your listening position,  or if you are able to figure a way of getting them up from the surface they have been resting on. Based on my experience and that of others. 

Ohhh  !!

I've ONLY mounted both BL4s over the BL3s rubber ring stand (which I had unused inside a drawer) and BL4s have ALREADY improved their sound in general, and yes, bass are more present now...really amazing Surprise

I cannot understand how a so little change can do a so big difference! Hmm  ...any acoustic-scientific explanation?

Thanks again soundproof Yes -  thumbs up

Santiago

• 09-26-2007 10:26 AM In reply to

I think BL4s are very expensive for the sound quality you get. I would not get the PC model as they cannot be used later in a Powerlink situation. I think you can get some very good PC speaker for half the money that look pretty good.

Needless to say, I use BL3s, which is total overkill but which may be a lot more expensive but sound a lot better.

I also use CX100s and a Beomaster 5500 and these sound remarkably reasonable as well! And are cheap!!

• 09-26-2007 10:56 AM In reply to

Santiago:
    soundproof:

Ohhh  !!

I've ONLY mounted both BL4s over the BL3s rubber base stand (which I had unused inside a drawer) and BL4s have ALREADY improved their sound in general, and yes, bass are more present now...really amazing Surprise

I cannot understand how a so little change can do a so big difference! Hmm  ...any acoustic-scientific explanation?

Thanks again soundproof Yes -  thumbs up

It's a mystery why they are shown flush against a desk, since that stops the bass vent underneath from moving air effectively.

Raise it a little, while ensuring that the air passage is not obstructed, and they suddenly deliver that bit more weight that makes all the difference.

Using wall mounts, that bring them out from the wall, and with the apex pointing up, has a similar effect. I was playing around with them, and noticed the improvement once they got off the desk. Presto.

Peter does have a point when it comes to the PC model, which does not have Powerlink. Worth thinking about.

• 09-26-2007 12:55 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter:

I also use CX100s and a Beomaster 5500 and these sound remarkably reasonable as well! And are cheap!!

CX100's make very good Pc speakers. When my PC was in a different room from my main system I used a BM2000 to power a pair of CX100's for the PC.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-26-2007 1:01 PM In reply to

I just did a Product search of the BeoVox CX100s. Until now I didn't know what they were. Was surprised to see they only ended production in 2003! Am I right to say Lee often has some of these at Lifestyle? Seem to remember seeing something similar.

Peter and Craig: do you know how the CX100s would compare to the sound of the BL4s?

Thank you for your help as always!

• 09-26-2007 1:45 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Henry, yes Lee often has these in stock. Worth giving him a call. Not sure how they compare to BL4's as I have never heard any. One thing with CX's is they do lack Bass. Much better if used with a Cona Subwoofer.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-26-2007 3:24 PM In reply to

Lee often has some Beolab 4s in as well. Go and have an audition and a cup of coffee - I am sure he would love to see you!
  • 09-26-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

I use BL4500s connected to beoport - would definitely recommend them -  lovely sound, cheaper, if you can find them (or win them!) than any of the modern range - but you do need a wall to pop them on, and don't expect to do any work at your computer.

Dylan

BS3200 BV7 BV3 BL8000 BG4000 BL4500 PC2 BG5500 MX4002

• 09-26-2007 3:37 PM In reply to

Not sure they are that cheap!! Some people ask huge amounts! Quite large as well! But very pretty!
  • 09-26-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

how much are Beolab 4 PCs? (too lazy to click elsewhere on Beoworld) surely more expensive than my beauties unless you factor in the hours of trying to find them.

• 09-26-2007 3:44 PM In reply to

I thought the PC ones were about £650
  • 09-26-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Peter:

I think that's about what I paid for my 4500's (even after Lee had dropped one Big Smile ) - I think if I was going for the PC4s I'd want the full version - £880 - and, in my situation, I'd prefer the BL4500s

Dylan

• 09-26-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Peter:

I think that's about what I paid for my 4500's (even after Lee had dropped one Big Smile ) - I think if I was going for the PC4s I'd want the full version - £880 - and, in my situation, I'd prefer the BL4500s

Dylan

• 09-26-2007 11:15 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

Thanks for your ideas guys. Always a pleasure to see Santiago back posting to my thread!

David: If I bought myself another pair of BL3s I would have them on the rubber rings on my desk, not on the floor or table stands. I personally think they're just too powerful for what I need, plus the ALTs seems to go to waste as the BL3s would only be a metre apart at the most!

soundproof: Thanks for your interesting comment. My desk is right up against the wall and my monitor is right at the back of the desk against the wall. Therefore I would have the BL4s either side of the display right near the wall. Would this improve the bass do you think? Sorry if my mental picture hasn't been painted very clearly!

I was talking about mounting the BEOLAB 4 on the stands, which would elevate them from the desks surface improving the sound. Something tells me that these stands wont fit however...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-27-2007 2:18 AM In reply to

Oh I see what you mean now David. The BL4s on BL3 table stands? I think they might look a bit silly then and the wires would still be visible too, but I will call my dealer today and ask him whether this is possible or not.
  • 09-27-2007 2:49 AM In reply to

Henry:

Peter and Craig: do you know how the CX100s would compare to the sound of the BL4s?

Not being Peter or Craig, please excuse my comment Smile 

I use CX100's as PC speakers and I am very settled with them, both esthetically and performance wise.

Prior to installing them I tried S30, P45, BL4000 - The problem with them was size. All had to be spaced far enough apart not to get in the way but too far for a good stereo image. Since my desk is up against a wall I couldn't get far enough away to get in focus.

I tried BL4 in the shop with the intention of buying but was put off by the lack of bass and footprint.

CX100 is not that cheap when you buy a good pair or rebuild with new speakers and grilles plus the passive or MCL2A are going for double the prices of  a year ago.

The bass is fine for me. Besides if I am working too much bass becomes tiring and a distraction for me. Compared to the full 5.1 system in the sitting room I think I prefer it for normal stereo listening.

My thoughts anyway - hope they help you decide.

Gordon 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >