in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2007 10:23 PM by hulahoophugs. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-23-2007 8:36 PM

free 4002... don't know how to fix it. need your help!

So i got a beogram 4002 for $80 on craig's list but it's not working. The guy offered to refund my money and said i could just keep the player which was SUPER nice of him. BUT i need to know know if this is going to be worth fixing.  Here are my known issues:

1. Sound is very distorted. It seems like it also takes a while to get loud. like i hear it for a while and then you hear it at the volume it's meant to be at but that could just be part of the distortion...

2.  The tone arm doesn't read the record correctly. The first time i turned it on it read correctly, stopped on the right spot of the record, but then when i hit stop after realizing it was extremely distorted it it wouldn't read correctly again.

3.  It won't stop! once i hit stop, the platter just keeps spinning no matter what.

that's all i have so far, i can do tests to give more info if you'd like. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

(also, does anyone have a manual?)

• 08-23-2007 10:55 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Re: free 4002... don't know how to fix it. need your help!

That your Beogram 4002 works at all is a genuine plus. However you certainly have issues.

The stylus may well be worn causing your sound problems.

Basically your 4002 needs a good looking over by a QUALIFIED B&O technician. (I can NOT stress this point enough.) Whatever is wrong is likely minor enough: adjustments, cleaning, and lubrication. However the wrong shop can do awful damage to one of these wonderful turntables.

I have no readily available B&O facility here on Vancouver Island, so I have had to rely on either my McIntosh shop, with mixed results, or learn how to fix my turntables myself. You will need the patience of Job.

The shop manuals are available here at BeoWorld, but you will need in addition to these manuals a goodly amount to technical skill.

Best of luck with your 4002.

Jeff

• 08-24-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

thanks so much for your quick reply! Do you have any idea how much this could cost? I'm a college student so i'm pretty broke...  If this is going to cost hundreds of dollars it really can't be done any time soon :(
  • 08-24-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

The cost associated with getting your 4002 in proper shape range from a minimum of $50 to a max of perhaps $300.

The main problem is that these fine machines are getting old and internal parts deteriorate at different rates. When they were new and set up properly, they stayed that way. But now, in spite of there dateless look, they are getting senior.

Your sound problem could be the stylus, as I mentioned, but it also could be the arm weight adjustment. If you are good with your hands, especially with tiny parts, this is a fairly easy thing to accomplish.

Also did anyone tighten the transport screws and if so, did you un-tighten them? If the suspension is lock down the sound your 4002 produces is going to be truly awful.

Also the lubrication that the factory put in your 4002 and now turned into something more akin to drywall than lubrication. This effects everything, but mostly the tone arm and its ability to go up and down.

You stop issue may well be a dirty contact, all of which could use cleaning.

The bottom line is your 4002 doesn’t appear to be in bad shape, but clearly needs looking after. If you can’t afford to have it serviced, either store it with your family until you are in a position to spend the required bucks to have it serviced, or if that is not an attractive option, consider selling it to someone who can take care of it.

Good luck with your 4002 and school.

Jeff   

• 08-28-2007 10:23 PM In reply to

thanks again for your responses! you've been a huge help! I'll be storing it and fixing it soon. I'll at least get it looked at this year to get a quote. thanks again!!
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)