in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-22-2007 5:33 AM by Bingo. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-21-2007 4:30 AM

DVB-C & B&O

HI All

Now, here is the deal. Digital broadcasting is becoming more and more standard allover the world. Here in Denmark where i come from, the standard person receive their tv-signals from cable so to watch digital tv they need a dvb-c tuner. My question is, what are my options in this matter??. Yes, i know i can purchase a settopbox through my tvsignal provider for about 500 US$, but i then also have to subscribe to various channels showing HD tv and this really is not worth the money yet, at least not in Denmark?? 

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 08-21-2007 5:55 AM In reply to

Re: DVB-C & B&O

First of all DVB is a standard. Unfortunately almost all cable providers demand that their customers buy/rent their set-top box to decode the signal. And these are varying from cable company to cable company/country to country. A lot of people complain that B&O should implement DVB (C?/T?/S?) as standard in the sets but unfortunately this will result in almost no benefit to the customer...
    Bottom line.. You don't have any other choice than to buy into the marketing of the cable company and get their set top box.
    Fortunately for B&O owners.. we are able to control the STB with the STB-Controller and Beo4/5 so the settopbox can be put out of sight!

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 08-21-2007 6:40 AM In reply to

--- Post removed ---

• 08-21-2007 9:08 AM In reply to

What a silly excuse. Even Sony now comes with a lot of models including DVB-C and a HDTV tuner build in.

For most of the cable companies, a proper working CAM is enough to make it work.

So If Sony can, why can't B&O ?

• 08-21-2007 9:12 AM In reply to

Bingo:

What a silly excuse. Even Sony now comes with a lot of models including DVB-C and a HDTV tuner build in.

Which you won't be able to use right out of the box BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THE SETTOP BOX FROM YOUR CABLE COMPANY!

So.. why build it in if you won't be able to use it?

For DVB-S.. you are right... that's something you will be able to use. Plug in the SIM card (or what is it called), attach the sat-dish and you're able to enjoy HD content... But not so for DVB-C...

Karel.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 08-21-2007 9:39 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

???

DVB-S digital sat tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

DVB-T digital terrestrial tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

DVB-C digital cable tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

So why would you need a cable set-top box??? I had a Noka D-box 2 (which is a dvb-c by the way....), which has superioer picture quality over the analog cable signal. The cable companies send analog + digital signals over the same wire.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 08-21-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

Sorry Karel, but you are wrong.

In Holland, the most cable companies use irdeto 2 coding which will work fine with an alphacrypt cam.

And Caiway for example has the whole digital basic-package FTA on cable, so it really really works.

A lot of Loewe users who was one of the first with DVB-C have good reception of the digital calbe channels with  an alphacrypt cam.

UPC is the only cable company in Holland who uses their own boxes.

• 08-21-2007 1:10 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

kuyttendaele:
    Bingo:

Which you won't be able to use right out of the box BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THE SETTOP BOX FROM YOUR CABLE COMPANY!

The Sony tvs, for example, are compatible with all cable companies here in Sweden, so your point is not 100% valid. Ok, Sweden is a small country population-wise, but still. I can't believe Sweden is unique in this matter.
  • 08-21-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

Bingo:

Sorry Karel, but you are wrong.

In Holland, the most cable companies use irdeto 2 coding which will work fine with an alphacrypt cam.

And Caiway for example has the whole digital basic-package FTA on cable, so it really really works.

A lot of Loewe users who was one of the first with DVB-C have good reception of the digital calbe channels with  an alphacrypt cam.

UPC is the only cable company in Holland who uses their own boxes.

Thats right. The only benefit with UPC is, that you can recieve their basic package for free, because it is FTA, at this moment. But all the other companies all you need is an Alphacrypt CAM. 

• 08-22-2007 3:13 AM In reply to

kallasr:

???

DVB-S digital sat tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

DVB-T digital terrestrial tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

DVB-C digital cable tv - either a set-top box or a pc card or a module for some beovision tvs....

So why would you need a cable set-top box??? I had a Noka D-box 2 (which is a dvb-c by the way....), which has superioer picture quality over the analog cable signal. The cable companies send analog + digital signals over the same wire.

Ralf

Exactly my point.. As my cableprovider at some point start sending digital signals directly through the cable, i want some small thing either inbuild in my BV7 or attached to the back of it. I just dont get why is is such a big problem to either inbuild theese tuners og at least come up with some clever solution. I think it is stupid to neglect the problem untill it is actually there...

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 08-22-2007 4:25 AM In reply to

Here in Denmark we have to major Cable TV Providers. TDC and Telia Stofa.

Both will work with ANY DVB-C compatible box.

TDC will need a Viaccess 2 CAM 

Telia Stofa will need a Conax CAM.

This is a fact, and I know quite a few people that have used Dbox2, Dreambox and even a Windows PC with MediaPortal and a DVB-C PCI card.

• 08-22-2007 5:33 AM In reply to

So you see !!

B&O has no excuse not to include DVB-C. But I expect they will be one of the last.....

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)