in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-17-2007 10:13 AM by Friedmett. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2007 5:24 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

How to nearly ruin a good set of speakers unless you're artistic.

Well, tonight I decided to fix my RL45's which had a nick in the cloth. I planned to put an inch wide red line over the gash with an acrylic paint. Anyway, I popped into the local DIY shop and decided to kill two birds with one stone by using (acrylic) spray paint, as I needed some for another non-related task anyway. So I use masking tape and get the line all set up and spray. I remove the tape and discover the paint has soaked into the nearby cloth, leaving a horrible look like I just splilled paint in a rough line. Following this, I decided that rather than paint the entire cloth red, I would make it a feature and went on to use a combination of a lighter orangy/pink colour regular paint, a black marker pen and a ruler. I must say, the end result is probably not to most people's tastes, but it does look quite funky and I have a fairly retro look in the flat anyway. The end lesson for people? Always really think once, twice and three times before you think about customising or doing work on any B&O equipment whatsoever. If needbe, ask Beoworld or a friend for a second opinion, even if you're fairly confidany about what you're doing.
  • 08-15-2007 5:28 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: How to nearly ruin a good set of speakers unless you're artistic.

Calvin, can you please do some pictures.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-15-2007 5:28 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Calvin:
    Well, tonight I decided to fix my RL45's which had a nick in the cloth. I planned to put an inch wide red line over the gash with an acrylic paint. Anyway, I popped into the local DIY shop and decided to kill two birds with one stone by using (acrylic) spray paint, as I needed some for another non-related task anyway. So I use masking tape and get the line all set up and spray. I remove the tape and discover the paint has soaked into the nearby cloth, leaving a horrible look like I just splilled paint in a rough line. Following this, I decided that rather than paint the entire cloth red, I would make it a feature and went on to use a combination of a lighter orangy/pink colour regular paint, a black marker pen and a ruler. I must say, the end result is probably not to most people's tastes, but it does look quite funky and I have a fairly retro look in the flat anyway. The end lesson for people? Always really think once, twice and three times before you think about customising or doing work on any B&O equipment whatsoever. If needbe, ask Beoworld or a friend for a second opinion, even if you're fairly confidany about what you're doing.

Pictues????

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-15-2007 5:31 PM In reply to

Any pictures Wink
  • 08-15-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Last night we helped Mobeyone to wreck a £175 lampshade so you're not alone!
    Come on Calvin, we need photo's

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-15-2007 5:36 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I'll get some done tomorrow when I've hung them up. I'm waiting for the NoMoreNails to dry on the brackets I screwed and glued up. I should say thatnks to joeyboygolf for selling me the two of them! Maye I should have waited a day or two to write the post but I wanted to get it off my chest, so to speak.
  • 08-15-2007 5:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

As an aside - if we can help anyone destroy anything even more expensive please ask!

• 08-15-2007 5:39 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Calvin:
    I'll get some done tomorrow when I've hung them up. I'm waiting for the NoMoreNails to dry on the brackets I screwed and glued up. I should say thatnks to joeyboygolf for selling me the two of them! Maye I should have waited a day or two to write the post but I wanted to get it off my chest, so to speak.

Now that could be interesting! Hung over anything expensive????Unsure

• 08-16-2007 5:46 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Well here's a picture of one of the speakers. You really can't see the tear in the cloth now. Being a film man myself, refusing to buy a digital camera, I've had to crop two poor quality webcam shots together. Obviously I need to paint the wires for my newly mounted speakers. I'm also quite tempted to extend the pattern on the speaker cover, maybe a combination of horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines to create an almost Mondrian-esque look

http://www.calvingraham.co.uk/mysetup.jpg is the link, i can't get it to paste in properly
  • 08-16-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Struggling to see thisErm

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-16-2007 6:00 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

http://calvingraham.co.uk/mysetup2.jpg

is a bit closer. Maybe i will tidy up the lines if/when i do some more work. For now it looks fine unless you're less than a few feet away. I also have a fairly dimmed, 60ish look to the place which helps (other than for photography).  I ponder with what with the painting oging on (deliberate or not)  whether a 'pimp my hifi' trend will kick off on a larger scale?
  • 08-17-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

I would never ruin any original B&O. It's morally incorrect to me.

The former owner of my Beovox M150 speakers talked about he might had painted them black before the auction which I won. I told him if that was the case I would not have been bidding at all.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)