in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-24-2007 4:19 AM by francis. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-21-2007 8:47 AM

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

irtrans usb vs. ethernet version

I'm considering  to use Irtrans to control my Mac, preferably using the USB version. Does anybody have experience with both versions (USB and Ethernet )of the Irtrans modules and Mac minis? I remember a report somewhere mentioning  troubles using USB,  but that might have been fixed already.

Francis

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

• 08-22-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

Re: irtrans usb vs. ethernet version

I had lots of problems with the USB version (that I could work around though), however recent updates to my Imac and IRTrans fixed these.

Personally I would take the Ethernet version if I had to choose right now, it seems that sometimes my USB version falls asleep and it takes a few seconds before it wakes up and reacts. I can't find out a logic around that though but I am guessing the USB port powers down after a while of inactivity.

There was a simliar thread on the german forum some time back and another person recommended the Ethernet version as well, for similiar reasons.

Otherwise it is a brilliant piece of software, I can certainly help you with the setup of the software if you want to control Frontrow.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-22-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

I use the LAN version, like it and would buy it again. Imho LAN is more future-proof (in terms of adding other equipment to your set-up, even non-b&o) and more flexible to use than USB. With USB you are bound to the USB port of your mac or a hub connected directly to the cpu. With LAN you can choose to connect the module either to the mac, a router (even WLAN), an AirportExpress and so on... Other than USB the LAN version needs an external power supply, but as you can hide it better than the USB version, I don´t think it´s an real disadvantage. I have connected mine to an AirportExpress behind / under a sideboard with a BS9000 on top. The AEX delivers mp3 to the BS9000 and with Beo4 I can control the mac or with the mac via iRed the BS9000. Comes in handy with the PowerBook as giant remote control... To me the higher price of the LAN version is quite o.k. as you get high-power LEDs (remember hiding behind furniture) or can choose a version with integrated flash-memory. By this you can translate b&o signals to control non-b&0 equipment, if you configure this using the (pc-only) original iTrans software. I haven´t done this but plan to the moment i get a new intel-based MBP and set up BootCamp.Regards, beoberlin
  • 08-24-2007 4:19 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

@bk and beoberlin,

thanks for your replies. It seems to me the Lan version is the way ahead. The only downside is that I would need an additional switch, since in my livingroom I only have one LAN outlet which currently occupied by the Mac itself.

If I go for Lan, would it be possible to connect a 2nd irtrans module in a link room, and to contol the entire setup from there like from the main room (that would be another strong argument in favour of Lan)?

Francis 

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)