in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-09-2007 5:30 PM by Alex. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2007 8:28 AM

B&W DM70 with Beolab 5000

Thinking seriously of acquiring a completely refurbished pair, to combine it with my Beolab/Beomaster 5000.
    I'm sure Peter knows them. The electrostat is rebuilt!

In black:

• 08-06-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: B&W DM70 with Beolab 5000

Never heard a pair, though they are legendary! Should be a fascinating comparison against BL5s! Maybe a review!
  • 08-07-2007 8:38 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Very good speakers, although I felt the bass was reeeeeeeally vague. I preferred my DM7s to be honest with you, which is why I ended up choosing them instead!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-08-2007 6:34 AM In reply to

Are you thinking of the same speakers, Alex? These are really hard to come by in perfect "electronic" condition. Maybe you heard a pair of duds.

The trial pair I heard had very good bass definition, and a remarkable top-end. I'll be combining a pair with the Beolab 5000 - the spec's come out nicely, and the match should be good.

The speakers are now "in process" - everything being overhauled and cleaned up/replaced. Will be driving to Switzerland to pick them up in late September! (The electrostat element is so delicate that I won't trust it to regular shipping).

For connoisseurs: the original surface treatment was either veneer or satin white. Black is a one-off. Mine have been painted with five layers of black by a company that paints grand pianos ... Big Smile 

• 08-08-2007 8:07 AM In reply to

I am continually tempted by Quad ESL63s! I just don't have the space to do them justice though! I note a review on the web that puts the DM70 above a stacked pair (4 speakers) of Quad 63s though. I liked the article basically saying that Hi-Fi had not really moved on and that it was all just hype by companies who obviously have to sell products and magazines that have to sell advertising! The DM70 and LS3/5A were both used as examples to back this up!
  • 08-08-2007 11:57 AM In reply to

I was astonished when listening to a setup of Beovox 5000/2500 at Frede's place. Of course, with his ear and insight he had placed them perfectly, in a room designed for listening, and they were perfectly refurbished. Last time I was there I brought along a couple more people, who were equally impressed by what this 40 years old technology could do with sound.

And then I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of DM70s not that long ago, and had a similar reaction -- pure bliss. Also from the same period - pure music was emerging from them. They're somewhat more compact than the Beovox 5000, and I knew I had found a good match for the Beolab 5000!

It's a long time until the end of September.

I'll review my BL5s compared to the DM70s when I have it set up right! (Of course not in order to state which is the more powerful or precise, but as to their ability to reproduce music properly).

And I think you'd be surprised by the listening area Frede has his ESL63s in! Not that big.

• 08-08-2007 2:54 PM In reply to

I've got to admit that this thread introduced me to these speakers, and though they're obviously legendary, I can't help thinking the wood veneer finished ones look like some horrid 1960s electric fire. The white and black ones do look much nicer though - I suppose they've got that retro cachet the wooden finished ones lack.

Are these really serious collectors items then? Until recently I'd never heard of electrostatic speakers. Does anyone still make them, or did the technology die a death?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-08-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

Quite a few still going! Martin Logan and Quad for starters! (Though Quad is not the same company really!) Quite a few top end speakers use them in conjunction with a sub woofer as the problem with electrostatics is the amount of air they move - or rather don't! Personally, I think ESL63s are fine all by themselves but some people prefer more bass. The DM70 uses a big cone and an electrostatic element to deal with the top and midrange. And yes, these are definitely collectors items!
  • 08-08-2007 4:07 PM In reply to

I heard the QUAD 2905s the other day. Spot on sound.

An acquaintance has Martin Logan Vantage speakers as the main speakers in his home movie setup. He's riveted by their sound. I prefer the BL5s over his.

The Martin Logan top end speakers have ICEpower driven bass:

The DM70s are forebears to these. BTW - the veneer ones in the photos are not the Continental model. The Veneer version of that one has woodwork like a Guarneri viola.

• 08-08-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The hi-end was pretty spectacular, I remember that much. Maybe it was wrong amp matching? It was an old unmarked (other than the brand) Linn power amp, running off an Allen & Heath desk and a Unidisk source (weirdest combination of kit I've ever seen, but it was kinda makeshift).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-08-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

They need to be fed right. I've been told the precise bass of the Beolab 5000 will connect nicely with these speakers. In two months I'll know!

• 08-08-2007 6:13 PM In reply to

Double post.

• 08-08-2007 7:21 PM In reply to

soundproof:

I heard the QUAD 2905s the other day. Spot on sound.

An acquaintance has Martin Logan Vantage speakers as the main speakers in his home movie setup. He's riveted by their sound. I prefer the BL5s over his.

The Martin Logan top end speakers have ICEpower driven bass:

The DM70s are forebears to these. BTW - the veneer ones in the photos are not the Continental model. The Veneer version of that one has woodwork like a Guarneri viola.

I've got to bow to your better judgement here, as I've not heard any of these speakers, so can only comment on their appearance.

I will say that the DM70 Continental looks much better than the hideous veneered variant, which really could pass for an old electric bar fire without any problems. I think you'll end up with a nice match with your Beolab 5000 system  (which you'll remember I have next on my most wanted list - and simply drool over that and your BG 4000!), as the black sides of the BM/BL 5000 will marry with your black DM70s

Not convinced by those modern electrostatic speakers though....those ones with the block of wood and the hideous wire mesh are absolutely revolting, and so far away from anything ever made by B&O it's untrue! I have a knife block that is a more attractive lump of wood :P

• 08-09-2007 1:36 AM In reply to

Yes, I know the feeling. Have never managed to get comfortable with the new electrostats myself, though the Quad ones have wonderful sound. Electrostat design today is function over form. You need the panels, you need the "see through", and in the case of the Martin Logans you need the curvature, which spreads the sound a bit more. (One weakness of traditional electrostats have been their very narrow sweetspot).

I'm very happy with my BL5s as my main speakers. They just sound better and better as I compare them with other designs.

What's fun though is that there are definitely a lot of different ways of interpreting speaker design. Have you seen the Overkills?

• 08-09-2007 1:49 PM In reply to

Oh dear.......that wood veneer is absolutely ghastly :P :P :P

• 08-09-2007 3:01 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I don't like the christmas decoration on the top either, absolutely hideous.

The 40th anniversary B&Ws are pretty disgusting too actually.

Nice sound, hideous looks

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

Alex:

Looks like it's made from a section of drainpipe. Mind you, the B&W Nautiluss speakers aren't that easy on the eye either. Where do they get their inspiration from? 1960s vintage electric bar fires, downpipes, seashells....???

• 08-09-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Alex:

Up periscope!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-09-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

jandyt:

Up periscope!

Fire One! Fire Two!

=== 

@ Alex - and when you check out the price of the Overkills, and add the amp's, the DSP processing unit, the room correction module ... then you really start wondering. The guy who designs them is very serious about his work, though. He travels to all his clients setting them up - no matter where they live.

• 08-09-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Actually they reminded me more of:

Fire hydrant

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 4:47 PM In reply to

Alex:

Actually they reminded me more of:

Fire hydrant

Note how precise and directional the beam is. Great design! 

• 08-09-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I tend to prefer a slightly drier sound though.

(shoot me Big Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)