in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-06-2007 5:39 AM by wirralsimon. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-03-2007 1:14 PM

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

theoretical speculation on Hi-Def trends

Hi all,

I'd like to open a discussion theorizing about the future of technology.  History, as we know, has a way of repeating itself, if we aren't careful.  There is currently a format war going on between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD for high definition video, and there appears to be somewhat of a stalemate.  Remember what happened a decade or so ago with Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio? The two similar formats confused the consumers and competed each other out of business.  I think the world is worse-off because of it.  There have been many other examples like this.  I'm a big believer in the free-market, but when it comes to setting technology standards, sometimes competition does more harm than good.

So my question is: What do you think should have been done to prevent the death of high-def audio, and what do you think should be (or could have been) done to prevent the death of high-def video? (If it's not already too late.)  Of course this is all theoretical, and there's probably little any of us can do now, but let's be idealistic for awhile, shall we?

Best, 

Aj 

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-03-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: theoretical speculation on Hi-Def trends

Well in an Ideal World(nice thought) the manufacturers of both formats should have got together and produced one joint format. Seems to be another Betamax / VHS scenario. As we saw from that not always the better format wins. There have been a few Audio and Video formats which never caught on. CDI, DAT, CDV, and Minidics to name a few. These were not even because of format wars. They just never caught on.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-03-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

• stax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Richmond, Surrey, UK
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

I am hopeful about the future of hi-def audio and video. The arguments over Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD or even SACD vs. DVD-Audio are just the method by which the hi-def content gets from the shop to your home. 
    Who needs those little silvery disks when you can have a big fat broadband pipe delivering hi-def content straight to your computer's hard disk?
    stax
  • 08-03-2007 2:34 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

stax:
    I am hopeful about the future of hi-def audio and video. The arguments over Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD or even SACD vs. DVD-Audio are just the method but which the hi-def content gets from the shop to your home. 
    Who needs those little silvery disks when you can have a big fat broadband pipe delivering hi-def content straight to your computer's hard disk?
    stax

Or if you were like most of the UK, struggle to watch YouTube videos pushing their way down your ever ageing phone line!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-03-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

Here's one trend. Soon people will be demanding 1080p on the screens of their mobile phones. Big Smile

• 08-03-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I believe you have the answer Stax.  It will be interesting to see how the internet version of robber barons will conspire to make sure that there are an abundant number of incompatible standards from which we can choose.  Ooops, I shouldn't have written that on my business computer!
  • 08-03-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I think this is one of the reasons that Bang and Olufsen are so slow to commit to anything new.
    Did they not jump on the Philips V2000 video bandwagon too soon?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-04-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

I just wonder why there are usually two (at least) similar but incompatible formats that emerge around the same time made by different people.  Are people just discovering the same things around the same time? Or is there really a conspiracy? Devil

Here's one idea:  When consumers or companies detect a need for a better/newer format that will be in wide usage, governments should support research and standardize a single format.  Then let businesses compete simply on the features and qualities of machines that will use that format.  Kind of like "land-line" telephones.  Each country has a single standard for their public telephone network, but there are many companies that make devices to hook up to that network.  But maybe that's a slippery slope, asking the government to be involved...

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-04-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

joynsyde:

I just wonder why there are usually two (at least) similar but incompatible formats that emerge around the same time made by different people.  Are people just discovering the same things around the same time? Or is there really a conspiracy? Devil

Nylon, for stockings etc.,was invented at the same time in London and in New York. So it might not be a conspiracy, but merely a coincidence. (Nylon = N.Y. LONdon)

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 08-04-2007 4:31 PM In reply to

• stax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Richmond, Surrey, UK
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Christian:
    joynsyde:

Nylon, for stockings etc.,was invented at the same time in London and in New York. So it might not be a conspiracy, but merely a coincidence. (Nylon = N.Y. LONdon)

Hmmm. Are you sure about the London thing? I thought it was just Dupont (USA). Or perhaps this is just a conspiracy too?
    stax 
  • 08-04-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I heard the same-- NY+Lon=Nylon.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-04-2007 7:09 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

Christian:

Wow, very interesting! Two people to shoot...  (Not a fan of stockings!)

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-04-2007 10:58 PM In reply to

Maybe neither format will win.  HI-def video might ultimately be delivered to the consumer over the internet.  At least one can hope for that to happen.  Then I wouldn't have to buy a new DVD player.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 08-05-2007 2:35 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

From my point of view there is one big difference between the hi def audio and video. For most consumers the difference between SACD/DVD-Audio and a standard DVD is not noticeable and does not make a differnce in there day to day listining expirience.

Hi Def video is a little bit different as almost everybody sees the huge improvement in HD video to SD moving form an old small CRT to a 40 to 50 inch flat panel. So one or the other format will win but will not disapear as SACD or DVD-Audio.

Karsten

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-05-2007 2:46 AM In reply to

NY+LONdon for nylon stockings is just an urban myth.

The product was named in 1938 by DuPont, after the inventor wanted to call it Fiber66. They considered 400 different names, and at the end sat pondering NORUN - they did run, however, so they ended up with NYLON.

Launched at the world fair in NY in 1939.

The inventor later committed suicide by drinking cyanide.

• 08-05-2007 5:07 AM In reply to

I think in a few years time, the broadcast standard will be 1080P.
  • 08-05-2007 8:34 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

NY+LONdon for nylon stockings is just an urban myth.

The product was named in 1938 by DuPont, after the inventor wanted to call it Fiber66. They considered 400 different names, and at the end sat pondering NORUN - they did run, however, so they ended up with NYLON.

Launched at the world fair in NY in 1939.

The inventor later committed suicide by drinking cyanide.

Hmm, I thought my sources was in order. Damn, such a nice story though...

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 08-05-2007 9:32 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You are quite correct Soundproof.
    However, You have absolutely shattered all my illusions.
    I must have told hundreds of people about New York and London. I will never be able to hold my head high again!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-05-2007 9:33 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Next you'll be telling me that Santa and the tooth fairy don't exist.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-06-2007 5:39 AM In reply to

jandyt:

Next you'll be telling me that Santa and the tooth fairy don't exist.

Andy T.

Is there something people haven't been telling me? Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)