in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2007 10:32 AM by ridax. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2007 9:35 AM

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Beolab 4500 problem

Originally raised in the old forum, my BL4500 had a problem in that the left speaker was not as loud as the right speaker.  Despite being taken to the B&O repair center, the technicians could find nothing wrong.  The technician who returned the speaker to me could only suggest that I change the "balance" from neutral to emphasize the left speaker.  [He also tested the cables and the connections before taking the speaker to the repair shop.]

Today, while listening to a tape, the left speaker emitted a "pop" sound and then it became as loud as the right speaker.  For the moment, and dispite some lapses into a softer volume, the left speaker is as loud as the right speaker.  However, now that the two speakers are at the same sound level, the left speaker has moments of "raspiness" or "scratchiness".  Sometimes, this sounds as if someone is giving a "raspberry".

1.  What caused this sudden change in the volume to the same level as the right speaker?

2.  What is causing this scratchy sound?  Deteriorating cones?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 07-27-2007 10:56 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 4500 problem

The sudden change must be electronic. ? cracked solder or component.

The scratchy sound could be a driver problem. Try them as passive speakers and see what they sound like. (If you have a system with an amplifier built in).

• 07-27-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Or try swapping the amplifier units round...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-27-2007 12:20 PM In reply to

I do remember in the long and distance passed having a similar problem with my Beolab 4500 and after speaking to B&O a few times, it turned out to be the routing of the display wires inside the unit was the problem. I cannot really remember the full details, but re-routing the wires solved the problem. I would do what Alex suggests and if the problem stays with the speaker, then you may wish to have a look inside at the cable routing and compare the speakers.

Regards Keith....

• 07-28-2007 8:18 PM In reply to

Intermittent or constant noise in speakers

Symptom:

Intermittent or constant noise in speakers.

Cause:

Wire bundle from the display comes too close to the area between module 02 and module 03.

Solution:

When assmbling the speaker, ensure that the wire bundle is pulled away from this area.

• 07-28-2007 9:01 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Thanks to all of you for your help.  Forgive me for being a technophobe and asking the following:

Peter -  I have a BM7000 and a BC2500.  Can I use these to use the speakers in a "passive" mode?  If yes, how?

Alex - I take it that I can disconnect the cables from each speaker, switch them around [i.e., left speaker to right, right speaker to left], connect up the speakers and test them?

Keith & Stig - if the above don't work, I will take the speakers off the wall and check the cabling.  I watched the B&O technician hook up the cables and he seemed to have followed the cable grooves but he could have made a mistake and I wouldn't know the difference.  Which is module 2 and module 3? 

Again, thanks for your help.  Sorry for being so uneducated.

• 07-29-2007 3:32 AM In reply to

Wings:

Thanks to all of you for your help.  Forgive me for being a technophobe and asking the following:

Peter -  I have a BM7000 and a BC2500.  Can I use these to use the speakers in a "passive" mode?  If yes, how?

Alex - I take it that I can disconnect the cables from each speaker, switch them around [i.e., left speaker to right, right speaker to left], connect up the speakers and test them?

Keith & Stig - if the above don't work, I will take the speakers off the wall and check the cabling.  I watched the B&O technician hook up the cables and he seemed to have followed the cable grooves but he could have made a mistake and I wouldn't know the difference.  Which is module 2 and module 3? 

Again, thanks for your help.  Sorry for being so uneducated.

My bit! Yes, the BM7000 has a power amplifier. Rin some speaker wire from Speaker 1 terminals to the binding posts on the back of the 4500s. There is a wire coming from the Beolab amplifier to the back of the spealer and a red and black pair of binding posts. Undo these and attach the speaker output from the 7000. Then you can test just the speaker. 

• 07-30-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

And yes, you can just swap the amplifiers round Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-30-2007 9:00 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Thanks again you all.
  • 07-31-2007 1:57 AM In reply to

Whilst I do not have a picture, you will have no problems defining which is module 2 & 3

Regards Keith....

• 08-01-2007 6:43 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Was the problem resolved? I recently installed a pair and had a few problems with volume.

Beoaus.

• 08-01-2007 6:59 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Hi.

Are you having the same problems?  Perhaps I should clarify myself.  My aberrant speaker was providing sound at a constant level lower than its mate despite the display showing the same volume level as its mate.   Then recently, after the popping sound, it has maintained the same level of volume as its mate.  There is no fading in or out.  There was some jumping between the two volume levels which led me to assume there was some type of connection problem.  The other problem with the aberrent speaker was its sound sometimes -- similar to the sound produced by cheap speakers when the volume is turned up too high.  At the moment, though, my aberrent speaker is functioning normally.

I just started a new job and haven't had time to do anything.  However, so far, the speaker is behaving itself and functioning at the same volume level as its mate so perhaps best to leave things alone?  If the speaker reverts to its prior state of functioning at a lower volume or at normal volume with "scratchy" sound, I will be testing it out as per the advice offered.

• 08-02-2007 10:32 AM In reply to

• ridax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

Try to move the slider switches at the back a few times back and forward.  Sometimes they are not conducting well, so need cleaning.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)