in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-05-2007 5:39 PM by Dillen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-05-2007 4:05 AM

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 2800 controls

Yesterday I picked up a Beocenter 2800, only because it was sold with a set of Beovox speakers and the former owner would not sell them separate. So actually wanted to get rid of it, but it seems a very nice machine! (Nice rosewood colour, dust cover almost unmarked and a little B&O logo in the middle which I haven't seen very often, quite sleek looking for a system with a build-in turntable etc.)

The only problem is that the controls on the right side don't seem to work properly. I suppose that when one source is selected, the button for the source that was selected previously should come back out? This doesn't happen at the moment and it doesn't seem to select any source.

Is this a common problem? Would it be just a matter of cleaning or maybe something more serious?

• 08-05-2007 5:05 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 2800 controls

Sounds like the latching mechanism for those switches is gummed up,, probably the old lubricant has gone hard with age.

I'd expect that a clean out with switch cleaner, not in the switches themselves but on the moving parts will sort this out.

• 08-05-2007 7:16 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Had the same problem with my a Beocenter 4600 I used to have. As casdave has said, the old grease goes hard and makes a wonderful glue. Never got round to fixing it though. even though it was in daily use for about 2 Years. What I was told to do, was to gently pull the front of each switch. Clean out the old grease and this should solve you problem.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-05-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Wonderful machines but a bit ackward to service the front panel. 

Stuck pushbuttons is a common problem.
    Like Craig suggests, note the positions and pull off all the push-buttons.
    Carefully and patient levering off using a wide flatbladed screwdriver set in from below may be the only way. Put something between to avoid scratches.
    Clean the metal bracket that each button slides on.
    Also clean the square channel in the buttons plastic backings.
    Pipecleaners soaked with isopropanol are great for this.
    Add a little amount of fresh silicone grease to each channel and
    mount again.

The above applies to
    Beomaster 1400 (80's)
    Beomaster 1500
    Beocenter 2600
    Beocenter 2800
    Beocenter 4600

Martin

• 08-05-2007 4:30 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Thanks! Martin, I was just trying to put the put the pictures on the site, when I read your post. This is exactly what I have done, even including the silicon grease. They go like new now.

• 08-05-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

And here is a picture of the "pipe cleaner". These are actually ment to brush teeth Smile

On the right is one of the fronts.

• 08-05-2007 5:39 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Nice work !

Yes -  thumbs up

Martin