in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2012 8:27 AM by Richard. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-08-2011 11:31 AM

• Richard
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-08-2011
    • Berkshire, England
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 3000-2 Wandering off frequency

I have a Beomaster 3000-2 FM Tuner / Amplifier, owned and used continuously since new in 1970.  I have made various repairs by replacement of electronic components (mainly electrolytic capacitors and low-noise transistors) over the years but need help diagnosing a recent fault.  When switched on to FM tuner, after a few minutes the frequency wanders off to adjacent stations.  The direction of wander is a bit random. 

Tried to see what happens to the pre-set frequencies by tuning them all to the same station and they all seem to  be affected more or less the same amount.  Tried all tests with and without the AFC selected.  AFC cannot hold it on frequency when the shift is more thn 0.1 MHz.

Each switch-on may give a different starting point, e.g. radio 4 (93.5 Hz) may appear to be at 95.5 MHz then gradually change to somewhere above 94 MHz.  I suspect an original electolytic capacitor is getting old and leaking, but would like some advice as to where to look.  I have all of the circuiit diagrams, obtained from B&O when the item was new.   know each preset tuner switch has an electrolytic in parallel with the seris resistor but would they all be equally leaky at exactly the same time? I think it must be something that is common to the tuning circuit before the slider and preset switches.  

So, does anyone have any ideas of where to  look?  I have a twin beam scope and various test gear (including RF generator) so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Richard Axford

• 11-08-2011 3:55 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 3000-2 Wandering off frequency

Ricahrd, welcome to Beoworld !

The tuning voltage zener diode sits in a holder bolted to the rear facing side of the tuner
    frontend metal casing.
    It has thermal coupling in the form of heatsink paste (compound) to keep its
    temperature, and with it its voltage, stabile.
    Clean off the remains of the hardened and cracked paste and add fresh.

Martin

• 11-09-2011 1:57 PM In reply to

• Richard
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-08-2011
    • Berkshire, England
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Martin,  I wil let you know how it goes when I check that Zener and its heatsink paste.   think I will monitor its voltage over a period as well.

Richard

• 11-10-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Martin:

When first turned on, my BM1900's tuner #5 is supposed to be tuned to 90.7 MHz.  In reality, though, it pulls in something like 93.5 MHz.  Over the course of about 5 minutes time, it will eventually slide back down to almost 90.7 MHz.  A little fine-tuning later, and it's back to pulling in the 90.7 MHz very well.

Is this the same problem with the same solution?

Rich

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 11-10-2011 3:29 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Something like that but I seem to remember that the BM1900 circuit is slightly different.
    Check the tuning voltage and you will know more.

Martin

• 01-03-2012 8:27 AM In reply to

• Richard
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-08-2011
    • Berkshire, England
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Martin,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, and many thanks for the advice.  I eventually got around to pulling the top off and having a good look at the Tuner power supply circuit. 

It is fed from the 60v supply and TR10 (BC212L-B PNP) appears to be the controlling device.  The 22v Zener diode (Item 138) that you described (which is marked ITT ZF22) goes from the TR10 Collector to Ground (0v), while another Zener diode (9.1v  Item 137) goes from +60v to the TR10 Base.

The Base is linked to 0v by a 33kΩ resistor (Item 139) and the Emitter is linked to +60v by a 2.2 kΩ resistor (item 136).   The nominal 22v supply current is therefore also regulated by the action of the 9.1v Zener which biases TR10’s base.   The current supply (at nominal 22v) passes through another 2.2 kΩ resistor (item 143) to reach the top of the set of  0.1 MΩ trimpots that provide the tuning action.  

I removed the clamp holding the 22v Zener diode and also unsoldered the diode from the terminals, in order to carefully clean the diode, clamp and RF casing of any of the old heat-transfer compound and re-make the soldered joints.  You were right, what was left of the compound was dry and cracked and probably wasn’t transferring much heat at all. 

I then “tweaked” the clamp so that it would hold the diode firmly against the casing (it was a slightly loose before) and then re-assembled the diode, clamp & screw  to the casing with new heat-transfer compound .

I thought a long test was in order so I put a couple of meters on to monitor the voltages at the 22v Zener and at the top of the trimpots (lower end of 2.2 kΩ resistor item 143) over time.  The results are below, note that the voltage at the top of the trimpots was varying (oscillating) between the two values, rather than exactly steady.  I assume that small variation is something to do with the switching within TR10, do you have a view on that?.

Switch on (T0)      21.64v                   18.77-18.79v

T0 +18 mins         21.65v                   18.78-18.80v

T0 +80 mins         21.67v                   18.79-18.81v

T0 +3 hrs              21.67v                   18.78-18.81v

T0 +5 hrs              21.69v                   18.79-18.82v

Since then, the FM radio seems to be able to hold tune on a given station for a significant time, whereas before this it used to wander off after 10 minutes or so.  If you know of any possible failure modes in the RF section (electrolytic capacitors etc??) I would be most interested for preventive maintenance.

So it appears that your suggestion about the diode was correct.  Many thanks for that and a happy New Year for 2012.

Regards

Richard

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)