in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-16-2011 11:14 AM by Step1. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-13-2011 9:19 PM

BEOGRAM 5000 TURNTABLE NO POWER

I picked up a Beogram 5000 turntable, but it has no power at all.  I'm more of a novice, but I opened it up anyway.

I noticed that the fuse is not blown, but it has an odd center burn mark on the wire.  I put a new one in, and it too has this burn mark in the center of the wire now that I've I plugged it in, but it has not broken either.  What does it mean?  What should I look for next?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

• 12-14-2011 4:49 AM In reply to

Re: BEOGRAM 5000 TURNTABLE NO POWER

Sometimes fuses look 'good' but in fact aren't.  I test even new ones with a multimeter for continuity.  Occasionally I find one that looks good but with no continuity so have to throw it away.  Find a good fuse (tested with a meter) and try it.  If it blows in situ, you have a further problem.  Are you using the correctly rated and type of fuse?  I think it uses 500mA slow blow fuses.

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 12-15-2011 12:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for the response.  I made sure to use the right fuse.  I'll look into testing the fuse I've used already and then getting  a new one if I have to.  I just think it odd that the wire never broke on either fuse, but they do have that burn area in the center of the wire.

Any idea what to test next if it's not the fuse?

Thanks.

• 12-15-2011 8:10 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

The main electrolytic capacitor on the power supply is my suggestion :)

Olly.

• 12-16-2011 1:38 AM In reply to

Thanks Olly.

I'll look that up and see what I can find out about it.  I haven't really messed with capacitors, but I know they can be dangerous.  Can you offer any advice on how to handle it or how to test it?

Thanks.

• 12-16-2011 11:14 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

There are no capacitors to be afraid of here. There is a vertical board to the left rear of the player near the transformer this should contain a large axial capacitor. Put your meter leads across this in resistance see what the meter reads...

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)