in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-30-2011 12:38 AM by joeaksa. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2011 9:03 PM

• joeaksa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 4-42 Plasma help

Long time B&O fan and have a couple of the old "tv tube" style B&O televisions.

Now have found a BeoVision 4-42 television for sale for a pretty good price. He said that it has a couple of small scratches on the screen, otherwise works fine. I have not seen it in person, needing to clarify some info about it first.

My question for the group is, will this unit work "as is" or does it have to have a BeoSystem 1 processor to work? I have heard that the System 1 is not that good of a unit so am not real excited about having to use the Television with this.

The same seller has one and wants about $400 for it, and wants $300 for the television, so its quite a bit of money. Yes before someone says something I know that this unit listed for about $10,000 new.

Thanks, Joe A

Filed under:
  • 10-29-2011 10:16 PM In reply to

Re: Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 4-42 Plasma help

To be honest, it's not worth picking this up unless you use the BeoSystem 1. The BeoVision 4 is just a monitor. The BeoSystem 1 has some limitations, primarily in connecting HD sources like Apple TV, but it's not that bad a unit. Similar to most other gear from 5-10 years ago. 

Basically if you don't get the BeoSystem 1, there's nothing unique about the plasma but the looks. You can't use a single B&O remote for all your sources, you won't get the best image out of the panel, you have no connectivity to a B&O audio system or other link rooms. 

And that pricing is great. It's not going to command big bucks, but $700 for both pieces in working order is great. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-30-2011 12:38 AM In reply to

• joeaksa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Re: Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 4-42 Plasma help

Great, thanks much and this is just what I needed to know.

Guess its buy both of them or neither of them. Was curious if it was a "stand alone" unit but from what you say its just a monitor and needs the System 1 unit. Am not concerned about interfacing a TV with the other systems in the house and do not use Apple TV, but if they need to work together then thats it.

Thanks for the help!  Joe

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)