in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-27-2011 3:56 AM by Tomaz. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2011 11:10 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Can the Cult of Bang & Olufsen Last?

Hi Dan, maybe you should have a look Here

Oh, and to answer your question - yes! Smile

Evan

• 10-26-2011 6:47 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Actually it is a very good article. I think someone else came up with the highly suggestive and attention-getting title.

The term CULT connotates a group who blindly follow an idea, premise, or philosophy. Does anyone owning B&O products here seriously believe they are part of a cult ?

The fact that we are members of this forum, discussiong the pros and cons, likes and dislikes of all B&O products, sometimes heated and passionately, proves that we are not mere cultists. Perhaps the perception by non-owners of B&O is that we are, and that we need to address that observation, valid or not. Enthusiasts, and collectors yes, we are, just as those are in the art world. In this situation it is an appreciative mix of the technical and the artistic, and we are free to argue any and all points along the way.

My collection started in 1965 when I could afford it. Stereos and televisons were giant rack affairs, stacked like Vox Beatle amplifiers up to the ceiling. Turn them on and watch how many watts you could volume up to, while the rack heated up the room like a giant rotisserie oven. The raspy speakers crackled like popcorn and rice. Mains cordage and connecting cables everywhere was the desired " Studio " look to some. Not to me.

I chose B&O for the opposite reason. Low visual impression, sleek and minimalist, and for once everything worked and connected very well. And all using one METAL remote control, rather than endless rack component buttons. This was not for the benefit of my neighbors by the way, it was for personal use and later my growing family, and still is.

The article does illustrates a little known observation regarding pride in older generation's regarding manufacturing skill and quality. Similar to Germans with Porsche and Rimowa, and other nationalities, in this case it is Danes' pride in Bang & Olufsen. And clearly as the article reveals this trend is diminishing: Many want better value, and a lower price over locally made, and lasting quality. 

In my home I cannot argue 1080P at 400 CHF, versus a better looking TV but only 720 at 10,000 CHF. Not when the wife knows I purchased and have a Lintronic to use. And that she remembers, was justified by the "1 BEO 4 Remote only " concept.

All very healthy considerations, but as most items are manufactured in the Asia today, have you noticed the recent trend to appreciatively laud the origins of Designer, rather than what country the items is manufactured in ?  David Lewis and FOXCOMM perhaps ?

The obvious fact that B&O is finally embracing and evolving with Apple, ( a very healthy sign for enthusiasts ), rather than cling forever onto the Microsoft clothesline proves that it will continue to last for all of us.  I may not use all of them, but I'm looking forward to the new and future product lines of Bang and Olufsen to be introduced

• 10-26-2011 11:46 PM In reply to

SWISS_2:

Actually it is a very good article. I think someone else can up with the highly suggestive title.

I felt it wasn't a finished article, that there were a few more pages to it.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-27-2011 3:56 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

you can also listen to the Wired's 20min podcast episode about B&O ,by Rob Walker, Search under iTunes for "Wired Features" as a podcast.

TT

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)