in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-27-2011 2:16 PM by elephant. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2011 3:59 AM

• gjaky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2011
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 5000 communication with MCP

Hello, a new guy here...

I recently bought a "defective" beomaster 5000 receiver for a quite reasonable price. The thing is that it looks like the stuff is working well, tried only with headphones though, but the speaker relays are clicking, locks to stations, memorizes, stores, so everything is looking fine, only the pushing door needed some grease... I didn't get any detailed description about the amplifier's problem, so I am still testing the unit. I plan to get an MCP5000 for it since the unit came without it. I don't know this amplifier very much, but as I read here, and other places the MCP has two way communication with the amplifier. So before buying a remote I want to make sure that they will communicate eachother. I localized the three IR transmitter LEDs on the front panel and I looked at with digital camera but the LEDs all looked blank even if I cahanged the volume, is this normal? Is there something that triggers the IR transmission on the amplifier, or should it transmit all the time?

• 10-26-2011 4:07 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5000 communication with MCP

I'm afraid it only transmits in response to commands from the MCP, as it was the only two-way remote option available for it... and the the MCP only comes to life when you use it, so there would be nobody to listen to unsolicited status transmissions from the Beomaster.

The later models broadcast the status messages every now and then and after every status change, as there were remotes such as Beolink 7000 that could be showing the status continuously.

But, if you don't find anything else wrong with it, there's no particular reason why the IR transmission wouldn't work. MCP5000s don't usually fetch much money so it won't be a huge investment just to try.

Receivers of this kind are sometimes sold as "defective" only because the seller didn't know how to use it!

-mika

• 10-26-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

• gjaky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2011
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Thanks!

I hoped that this is the normal operation... then I'll look for a remote :)

My guess is also the same for this seller, because the front lid was stuck a bit, and the power button seems to call back the last operating state, so if the machine was pulled out from stand-by state, and next time when it is plugged in and you push the power button then it does nothing, you have to select a source, but it is hard with a closed lid, however it is not very tricky to open it by hand... 

• 10-27-2011 1:10 PM In reply to

• gjaky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2011
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Huh, just did a little look around for the MCP5000, and I am not happy, the only one suitable (on ebay, at least) is from UK and costs 67€ + shipping, but my beomaster was only 26 € , maybe someone got one spare? :) 

• 10-27-2011 2:16 PM In reply to

If you build out your system with additional sources (e.g, beocords, CD50, beogram or even an iPod via an adapter that simulates the beocord interface) you will find the MBP worth every cent, a thing of beauty, and an amazing experience

and no one will give one up because they do fail and are irrepairable ... so prices are only likely to climb over time

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)