in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2011 4:43 PM by Andre. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2010 7:18 PM

Beogram 4002 Control Panel Finish

Hello Everyone,

I am curious if anyone has ever come up with a decent way of re-coating the finish on a Beogram 4002 touch control panel? Just normal wear over the decades has worn the finish down on almost all of these tables I have ever seen. It seems like with the number of tables sold on ebay and with the number of people on this website that own a 4002 there would be a market for this service. Anyone out there who might have worked for B & O that might know what the coating is and how it might be replicated?

Regards,

John

• 11-09-2010 7:40 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 4002 Control Panel Finish

The best that I have seen, but yet to attempt is on THIS THREAD.

I have located Pebeo Vitrea products at your local "Michael's" or similar store or online at Amazon.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-10-2010 5:23 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I will be looking at this too soon as I have a 4002 with a very poor panel except it is currently in London..

Also the black plastic panel on my BC5000 has scratches and again I suspect great care should be taken with these two!

Olly.

• 11-10-2010 12:09 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

Upon close inspection on my 4002 there is nothing on the stainless steel. Extensive use has just a tendency to polish the metal.

I'd leave it well alone.

Jacques

• 11-10-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

My 6000 is like that as well - "start" and "stop" have been slightly polished, but it doesn't seem to have any kind of coating.

On my 4004, the worn spot on "start" has rough edges and is different colour (the untouched areas are a bit more yellowish) so something has definitely come off.

I suspect there have been several kinds of finishes already from the factory.

-mika

• 11-14-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

I think I am going with the theory that there is a coating as well, because I can actually see where it is pitted in the most worn areas on the Beogram 4002 that I have. I am not any kind of expert on finishes but I would think that if it were just brushed metal that just the wear of touching it with your fingers would soil it, but that could be cleaned. I am guessing that the finish on the key pad might be similar to what I accidentally removed from my 8000 platter when I tried cleaning it with alcohol. Although the platter was brushed aluminum the finish that I accidentally removed gave the platter a nice matte look that turned to very shinny after that coating was removed.

• 11-06-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Hi jfrancis

I have just seen this post.

The control pad is brushed stainless steel. I have restored mine as follows:

1) Remove the plate carefully by using a putty knife. Insert the knife from the left and right sides only by moving it from side to side. Once in, gently twist the knife's handle until you can feel the plate lifting.

2) Once you have removed the plate, dissolve the clearcoat with acetone or otherwise sand it off using 3M sanding pads.

3)Place the plate on a flat surface and stroke the plate with the (fairly coarse) sanding pad until you have an even, brushed surface.

4) Wipe or rinse the plate in lacquer thinners, ensuring no dust remains.

5) Obtain 'Satin' automotive clearcoat and its matching hardener from an auto paint supplier.

6) Carefully mix the clearcoat according to directions and spraypaint by using an airbrush.

7) After a few houyrs drying, the plate may now be prepared for re-fitting.

8) I used 3M double-sided tape of the very thin kind.

9) It is tricky to get the plate in position as you only basically get one chance before it touches the adhesive tape.

It is NOT possible to do this job without removing the plate. Any dust and sprayed lacquer WILL seize the moving parts below the plate.

There are pics in another thread I posted of the finished result.

dauphine/andre 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)