in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2007 5:19 PM by Alex. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2007 1:53 AM

Postings go into "Write Only Memory"

Van

In the past two days four (4) posting and three (3) PM's have given the following message

Post Error

In the case of the PM's apparently they do not end up in the moderators area, they are just lost and there is no copy in my inbox.

The other posts have either gone the same way or are sitiing in the moderators area. Either way this should not be happening and something is wrong with the setup.

Regards Keith....

• 07-26-2007 3:17 AM In reply to

• van
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2006
    • Brighton, UK
    • Posts 663
    • Gold Member

Re: Postings go into "Write Only Memory"

Hi Keith

I have a look into it for you. It may be a setting on the administration area. Please let me know if there are any further issues.

Do you delete old PM's? There may be a limit to the amount of PM's someone can have....

Van 

• 07-26-2007 3:22 AM In reply to

Van,

Out of four (4) posts I did this morning three (3) went to the moderators area, so these need to be accepted by the administrator, similar situation last night.

I do delete old PM's, some PM's go without problems others do not.

Can you please allow the posts which are currently in the moderators area.

Regards Keith....

• 07-26-2007 3:36 AM In reply to

• van
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2006
    • Brighton, UK
    • Posts 663
    • Gold Member

Hi Keith

I have approved them and they have been sent. 

• 07-26-2007 3:43 AM In reply to

This "approval of posts" routine is rather strange. Particularly as it's impossible to understand, when reading through posts, what triggered the block. I'm active on numerous forums and haven't ever come across anything similar.

• 07-26-2007 3:50 AM In reply to

Thanks van

I do not know what triggers the "approval of posts" either, whatever it is we should find out what the system is looking for then we could avoid it

Regards Keith....

• 07-26-2007 3:54 AM In reply to

• van
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2006
    • Brighton, UK
    • Posts 663
    • Gold Member

Hi

There is an automated system which has been configured to pass posts to moderation if they activate the SPAM BLOCKER. 

Bad Word Count - Rates spam factor based on number of occurrences of configured bad words
    Forbidden Words - Rates spam factor based on the existence of configured forbidden words
    Link Count - Rates spam factor based on number of links (href's) in the post

Community Servers Explanation:
    With the prevalence of SPAM (unsolicited content), and the interactive and dynamic nature of communities, community sites are large targets for automated SPAM attacks. Community Server has an innovative rules engine that evaluates all incoming content (forums, blogs, photos, files, comments, etc.) and can determine the likelihood of that content being SPAM. Actions can then be taken to put the content into a moderation workflow, publish the content automatically, or even delete the content.

I am investigating the situation and will do what I can to prevent future problems occurring. 

Geeked

• 07-26-2007 5:32 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Again, my suggestion comes in about post count. We can be pretty sure that anybody with a 10+ post count isn't going to be a source of spam, so maybe disabling the spam filter for people with a 10+ or 20+ post count would be a good idea. Not only would it make things easier for the users, but it would mean less things to do for the moderators.

Just a suggestion.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-26-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

• van
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2006
    • Brighton, UK
    • Posts 663
    • Gold Member

Hi Alex

A very valid point. A have dones some research and the forum software has this option available. I have enabled the IP rated tool which basically does as you mentioned - it is based on the number of recent posts from the same IP address.

Keith, hopefully this will help with the problems you were experiencing.

Van

• 07-26-2007 7:52 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Is this going to work as you suggest? I thought most domestic users have dynamically allocated IP addresses??

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-26-2007 7:56 AM In reply to

Van,

That sounds excellent provided users have fixed IP addresses which I do.

However it should be remembered that most people get allocated an IP address out of their ISP's pool of addresses when they log on, so they are likely to get a different address each time they connect. Clearly most people using this forum have broadband and I expect leave it logged in all the time, so will keep their assigned IP address.

Thanks for your efforts van, who is minding the shop while Lee is on his two weeks holiday ?

Regards Keith....

• 07-26-2007 8:45 AM In reply to

• van
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2006
    • Brighton, UK
    • Posts 663
    • Gold Member

Well hopefully the IP rating will work for those with a static IP. I will look into any further enhancements that can be made.

I think whilst Lee is on his hols Peter is minding the shop along with all the moderators.

V

• 07-26-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thank goodness for that Robo-wotzit that's making the draw on Tuesday!!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-26-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I wouldn't be so grateful if it landed me with an un-painted BeoSystem Stick out tongue Surprise

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)